You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by freeride on Fri 12 Jan 2018, 10:14 pm

Borrowed a Sealey motorcycle wheel bearing removal kit. It actually worked and took about 3 mins to get the first bearing out.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 7:52 pm

I went for a longer ride (about 100 miles) with the new tyres: new-ish Pirelli Sport Demon are certainly better than old and knackered Avon RoadRiders! The bike now goes around corners without any fighting...
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 15 Jan 2018, 8:09 am

yes you need tyres that you can rely on at  this time of year
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Mon 15 Jan 2018, 12:57 pm

I'll soon be repainting my tank - started removing the factory paint - it consists of impressive 7 or even more layers.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 15 Jan 2018, 1:01 pm

Two days in a row I've been out on the CB. Trying to rescue my car that gave up the ghost when I was out for a meeting 30 miles from home.
Nice, albeit a bit nippy.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Mon 15 Jan 2018, 6:46 pm

Put a puig headlight fairing on my older cb5, its a bit cold indeed so some wind blast reduction in order.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 15 Jan 2018, 8:51 pm

@hh_12345 wrote:I'll soon be repainting my tank - started removing the factory paint - it consists of impressive 7 or even more layers.

Is the factory paint well stuck on/no rust? If you can sand it back to a smooth finish you shoudln't need to remove it; just key the surface sufficiently that the new paint adheres.

Of course, if you want to remove it all then that's fine :) You will need to use primer on the bare metal.

Any photos of the progress?
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 1:04 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:
Is the factory paint well stuck on/no rust?  If you can sand it back to a smooth finish you shoudln't need to remove it; just key the surface sufficiently that the new paint adheres.

Of course, if you want to remove it all then that's fine Smile  You will need to use primer on the bare metal.

Any photos of the progress?

The paint is in very good condition (repainting it to match the color of the bike, this replaced my rusty tank), maybe I should have done what you suggested - sanding the top layer and removing the decals only. Not too late to do it that way though, as I have removed less than 1/5 of it - but most likely I'll try and finish it all. 

I'll take some pictures by the end of the week.

That's the tool I'm using - rubber disk with sanding paper attached to electric drill. It removes the paint quickly with the right paper and once you get the hang of it, I believe the top of the tank can be done in less than an hour.

My progress so far

The paint layering - the original black paint + a temp silver layer a did some time ago on top of it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 22 Jan 2018, 4:42 am