Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by muttley1 on Mon 08 Aug 2016, 1:29 pm

Cheers,
had it a couple of years and taken it from 38000 to 44000m. Loads of fun updating stuff - new caliper, bodywork, evo tyres and stubby can. The engine is smoothest cb5 one I've had. Prev owner did silkolene oil changes every 2500m.

The renthals are road mediums, wider and taller than stock by some way. I re routed throttle, choke and clutch cables to make it work.

muttley1
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Mon 08 Aug 2016, 2:25 pm

Really nice looking CB500. Is it the original colour? I've got renthal ultra low road bars and could just about get away with it without re-routing but they are still higher and wider than the originals!

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Mon 08 Aug 2016, 2:35 pm

Cheers,

the original bike was green but had been sprayed red. I got red plastics and tank from a 2002 s model and they look pretty good.

Renthal ultra lows (759's) are on the other bike, tight fit as you say.

muttley1
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 5:12 pm

Pretty much been in a mood all day after finding this
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 5:25 pm

That's.... not good. I've not heard it done on these bikes but is a re-bore possible?

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 6:48 pm

That is horrible... Do you know yet what caused it?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 7:11 pm

Very strange on cb 500, ive seen it happen on high powered engines... say bottom engine is wrecked too... just get an other engine...u can play waiting game now and one turn up ..that u have an other bike
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 7:14 pm

@sullivj wrote:That is horrible... Do you know yet what caused it?

two dropped valves, one intake, one exhaust, same side, same piston.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 8:51 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:Very strange on cb 500, ive seen it happen on high powered engines... say bottom engine is wrecked too... just get an other engine...u can play waiting game now and one turn up ..that u have an other bike

Sure he could always get a C90 affraid

Incidently I got my CB back today after I left it in to tahve the swingarm bearings done.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 10:45 pm

I would say don't invest any more time or money into that engine and get a replacement (Preferably from someone on here.) They only go for around £150-£200, much better than trying to deal with that!
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 10:56 pm

That looks strange, isn't the gudgeon pin supposed to align parallel to the cylinder head stud holes ? It looks as if the rod has a twist in it.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 11:31 pm

It's looking more and more like a replacement engine job, so if anyone is selling one the best way of contacting me if via my facebook as I struggle with the message system and message limit on this site.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 12:55 pm

Just had a thought when reading your project big-1 thread.  Since it looks like you're sourcing a new engine, couldn't you get a cbf500 one to give you clearance to run a wider rear wheel?  IIrc @ANDYC did something similar to one of his bikes.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 1:26 pm

@ashcroc wrote:Just had a thought when reading your project big-1 thread.  Since it looks like you're sourcing a new engine, couldn't you get a cbf500 one to give you clearance to run a wider rear wheel?  IIrc @ANDYC did something similar to one of his bikes.

the cbf one has the extra bits in it for the emissions, and is 5mm wider on the output shaft but doing a complete back end change is money that I don't really have to spend at the moment, especially when it's not needed. After I've got this cb4 on the road the cb5 will be on the back burner for a short while I think. 
The bore is damaged too so it's a replacement engine how ever I look at it, but it's finding one in my price range that's going to be a problem.
Alvi
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Alvi on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 7:41 pm

Finally got round to fitting my stainless engine bolts today - thanks, Andy Very Happy 
It's less than 2 years since the old ones were wire brushed, painted, greased and refitted (including a new front one as I had to cut the old one out), so they came out easily & the whole job took less than 15 minutes.

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Anigai's cb500

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 14 Aug 2016, 7:02 pm

well  i met up with anigai and his troublesome cb 500.... i think it mite be first pic of his cb on the forum
My cb quite dirty from building site dust looks like been off road. Neutral
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 16 Aug 2016, 4:44 pm

Dropped the engine out, rebuilt the forks. Constantly phoning up/filling in online forms for insurance companies to insure my 400 as they're wanting  well over £700 for 3rd party fire and theft
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 17 Aug 2016, 4:37 pm

I built an engine stand today, and yes for those of you who are observant yes the end of the valve is still in the engine I'm just too lazy to put it somewhere else. All recycled stuff again apart from maybe 6 screws, I even reused old screws too =D 

pendleton_j
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by pendleton_j on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 12:02 pm

*sigh*, it's happened again. Had electricians round, as I answered the door they asked if it was my bike on the drive and if it was supposed to be on it's side. Had put it on a different part of the drive and on the kickstand this time after the last incident I had, but apparently that didn't help.

He offered to help me get it back upright, and from now on I'm not bothering with the drive, it's going on the road permanently. Luckily there doesn't seem to be any major damage this time, mirror got knocked to the side but has gone back to normal fine and I can't spot anything else other than a few scrapes on the clutch lever and stuff.

To be honest I'm glad it happened now and made me move it onto the drive, rather than when I'm on holiday for the next two weeks
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 12:37 pm

So is the side stand sinking into the hot tarmac or what's happening? If so would a decent puck help?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 1:55 pm

Think I'd go a step further & lay a few paving slabs to park the bike on.

You could probably get them free if you put a want ad on your local freecycle site.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 4:18 pm

fit a longer side stand, @jerryfudd did a thread about it and now I have his side stand on my bike. it keeps it much more upright, with a 10mm block of wood under it, it's almost vertical.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 8:20 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:fit a longer side stand, @jerryfudd did a thread about it and now I have his side stand on my bike. it keeps it much more upright, with a 10mm block of wood under it, it's almost vertical.

It's so good, you have to extend it with wood?! Shame he didn't make it 10mm longer eh?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:35 pm

If I'm on a steep slope I'll chuck a bit of wood or an old sprocket under it depends on what mood I'm in. Overall it's so much better than the standard sidestand.
pendleton_j
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by pendleton_j on Sat 20 Aug 2016, 12:05 pm

@trevor machine wrote:So is the side stand sinking into the hot tarmac or what's happening? If so would a decent puck help?

No, the tarmac looks and feels very old, and both times hasn't melted but has literally crumbled under the weight of the bike. A decent puck undoubtedly help, but at this point I'd rather just park it on the road, off the shit tarmac completely.

The first time it was on the centre stand, and a hole formed under one side, making it topple to the right, this time it was on the kickstand, tarmac crumbled away and it fell to the left.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 21 Aug 2017, 8:45 pm