Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

What did you do with your CB500 today?

Share
avatar
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1244
Location : dublin

What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 18 Jun 2016, 11:05 pm

Probably couldnt take anymore of  the peg scraping Laughing

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Posts : 2119
Location : Gatwick

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by sullivj on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 7:51 am

Ouch. What happened James?
avatar
al-91
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Awesome!
Posts : 23

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by al-91 on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 12:50 pm

@Wizzardofodds  
It came with it when i got the bike.  it says "Street Style by Pyramid"  So as a guess pyramid plastics?
I don't actually use the lower fairing anymore, i took it off to do some servicing and never bothered to put it back on, it makes no noticeable difference to the ride. The upper bit of the fairing is amazing and I rarely ride without it. 

People near Cambridge "hi" (I'm 10 miles south of Cambridge)
avatar
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Posts : 169
Location : Dublin

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Anigai on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 5:20 pm

About to bring my CB for it's real maiden voyage. Yesterday only drove about a mile or so as a shakedown.

Just gotta stick it's plastics back on and it's crackcase drain hose then I'm good to go.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Posts : 230
Location : Moffat

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 7:07 pm

al-91 wrote:@Wizzardofodds  
It came with it when i got the bike.  it says "Street Style by Pyramid"  So as a guess pyramid plastics?
I don't actually use the lower fairing anymore, i took it off to do some servicing and never bothered to put it back on, it makes no noticeable difference to the ride. The upper bit of the fairing is amazing and I rarely ride without it. 

People near Cambridge "hi" (I'm 10 miles south of Cambridge)

OK,  thanks for that. Let me know if you sell it, I've got a red S too.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Posts : 230
Location : Moffat

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 7:08 pm

Obviously.  Rolling Eyes
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3674
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 7:53 am

al-91 wrote:

People near Cambridge "hi" (I'm 10 miles south of Cambridge)

You must live near me :)
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1863
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:00 pm

I urm... over took a tank... on a motorway.... with L plates fitted to it. People with L plates aren't allowed on motorways. Never the less I gave them a wave and I got one back.

avatar
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Posts : 368

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:12 pm

I used to pass tanks with L plates quite often on the A3. I always found it rather hilarious
avatar
al-91
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Awesome!
Posts : 23

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by al-91 on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:50 pm

So... today i went to pickup a CB250 superdream... (I wasn't expecting a lot) 
I made it 10 miles before it lost all engine power and upon pulling over i was met with smoke and LOTS of oil on everything!
Looks like a head gasket failure to my untrained eye

Looks like i'll be sticking with the CB500 for the foreseeable future! 
Nothing like the tech of the 1970's to make you appreciate things made in the 1990's!!!

@TheWizzardofOdds
I'm pretty sure the lower fairing was made to fit the upper so i'm not sure it'd attach to or look right with a 500s fairing.
avatar
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Posts : 230
Location : Moffat

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 22 Jun 2016, 9:12 am

al-91 wrote:So... today i went to pickup a CB250 superdream... (I wasn't expecting a lot) 
I made it 10 miles before it lost all engine power and upon pulling over i was met with smoke and LOTS of oil on everything!
Looks like a head gasket failure to my untrained eye

Looks like i'll be sticking with the CB500 for the foreseeable future! 
Nothing like the tech of the 1970's to make you appreciate things made in the 1990's!!!

@TheWizzardofOdds
I'm pretty sure the lower fairing was made to fit the upper so i'm not sure it'd attach to or look right with a 500s fairing.

Ah, I didn't look closely enough. I didn't realise it was one complete fairing from pyramid plastics. I thought it was made to attach to the original. 

Thanks anyway al-91.
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3674
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 23 Jun 2016, 8:55 am

Yesterday I started some overdue maintenance:

* Removed the font sprocket (worn, of course) and also split the chain

* Popped the rear wheel out, removed the sprocket (less knackered) and looked at the bearings

Today I'm going to replace the rear wheel bearings (one is knackered) - oddly enough the sprocket carrier bearing is fine, despite me buying a spare just in case (that can live in the drawer until it is required!)

If the weather clears up I might put the new chain and sprockets on....
avatar
stormbringer
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1225
Location : Aarhus, Denmark

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by stormbringer on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 7:59 pm

Exchanged my knackered ignition lock to a newish one - so now I need 2 keys.
Sigh.

The selling price for a new set (ignition, tank, seat) is no less than 380£, so you may see why I decided to not go that way.
avatar
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1244
Location : dublin

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:07 pm

Stormbringer have look at ur original  ignition key and new key if there simular use a small file on one of new keys(u should have 3)  it took 2mins and my fireblade key starts cb
avatar
stormbringer
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1225
Location : Aarhus, Denmark

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by stormbringer on Thu 30 Jun 2016, 5:53 pm

wornsprokets wrote:Stormbringer have look at ur original  ignition key and new key if there simular use a small file on one of new keys(u should have 3)  it took 2mins and my fireblade key starts cb
No similarity...
Besides, the ignition lock came with only one key. Not about to ruin that one.

In stead, I have another plan; make the tank & seat locks fit the new key.
If they are dis-assemblable, my local locksmith should be able to recode them, meaning I can ditch the original key.

Remember, I have no urgent need and a budget of up to 300£. Or - I could throw the 300£ at petrol and have a nice vacation on my CB.

Hmmm... 300£ gets me approximately 300 liters of petrol, which would take me 6000 km (@20 km/l).
From Århus, Denmark, that would mean Gibraltar, Athens or Istanbul - and back.
Easy choice. Especially with the holidays approaching.
avatar
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!
Posts : 1505
Location : London

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by ashcroc on Thu 30 Jun 2016, 7:43 pm

Why not get the new ignition lock adjusted to fit the original key? It should cost half as much as doing the other 2 & @Jerryfudd proved it's possible.
avatar
jerryfudd
Moderator
Moderator

Awesome!
Posts : 1744
Location : Surrey

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 10:06 am

ashcroc wrote:Why not get the new ignition lock adjusted to fit the original key?  It should cost half as much as doing the other 2 & @Jerryfudd proved it's possible.

yup, auto locksmith did it with a Wemoto ignition - didn't make a terribly neat job of removing the shroud but worked...... just so happens I then managed to get a full new old stock Honda lockset for £70 which was too good to pass up and sold the old lot off.

Dan
avatar
Jack359
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Posts : 32
Location : Horsens

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jack359 on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 4:37 pm

Changed the  3 bulbs of  speedo and tacho on my 95 CB500 - 2 of them were burned. Checked the other bulbs too - all the bulbs were the original  Shocked And most of them going strong. In Haynes manual it is vagually specified what bulbs there are.

The tacho and speedometer use 3 Stanley 12V1.7W.HD
and the warning lights - Toshiba A143W

I changed just the speedometer and tachometer bulbs and because it is almost impossible to find 1.7W and I dont like the light dispersion of LEDs.
I got 12V2W OSRAM - don't think the 0.3W more per bulb or 0.9W more in total it will do harm.

Here is the result:

With my "new" speedo and tacho, I wanted to take her for a ride to fill them up but started raining.. So I started to lubricate her Very Happy
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3674
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 1:40 pm

Jack359 wrote:
I changed just the speedometer and tachometer bulbs and because it is almost impossible to find 1.7W and I dont like the light dispersion of LEDs.
I got 12V2W OSRAM - don't think the 0.3W more per bulb or 0.9W more in total it will do harm.


It won't do any harm - I think it *is* impossible to get 1.7W bulbs easily - when I replaced my blown bulbs I used 2W and it hasn't done any harm.
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1863
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 03 Jul 2016, 9:39 am

I did the same as @Jack359 coincidentally on the same day too! Apart from I replaced the tail light bulb as well. I got mine from Wemoto. 

The ones that are listed under our bike (at least my 97 v) only lists the 1.7w bulbs that are used for the indicators, side stand, oil light ect, the tail light one is listed correctly though which is good to know. 
The bulbs that are needed to light up the clock dials are not listed on the bike page but I found them on a different part of the website. 

These are the bulbs that are needed for the dials http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/hl-770504_10/
avatar
Jack359
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Posts : 32
Location : Horsens

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jack359 on Sun 03 Jul 2016, 3:11 pm

Hmm, on mine I had 1.7W on the dials (1 for the speedo and 2 for the tacho) and 3W smaller in size for the indicators. 




Mine is 95.


Last edited by Jack359 on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Posts : 152

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by arrison on Sun 03 Jul 2016, 7:11 pm

Rebuilt the front master cylinder, refilled and bled the front brake, pulled the fairing off and drilled out the bottom of the headlight to try and stop it filling with water (fingers crossed thatll sort it). chain and sprokets and oil to change next, then a new front tyre and new shocks.
avatar
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Posts : 238
Location : Croydon, Sarf Laaandan

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Stooby2 on Sun 03 Jul 2016, 7:44 pm

Not my CB500 but a friend's I'm servicing. Oil & filter change, air filter change. Took the rectifier off and cleaned the rust off the back (not much) and around the bolt holes, dab of copper grease and put it back, with a new earth lead to the negative battery terminal. Fitted the replacement seat latch as the oil one was broken. Fit new battery. New spark plugs, lubricated the throttle & choke mechanisms. Lubed the clutch, choke and throttle cables. Finally took the old chain and sprockets off ready for the new one when it gets delivered this week.
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3674
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 9:40 am

Stooby2 wrote:Not my CB500 but a friend's I'm servicing. Oil & filter change, air filter change. Took the rectifier off and cleaned the rust off the back (not much) and around the bolt holes, dab of copper grease and put it back, with a new earth lead to the negative battery terminal. Fitted the replacement seat latch as the oil one was broken. Fit new battery. New spark plugs, lubricated the throttle & choke mechanisms. Lubed the clutch, choke and throttle cables. Finally took the old chain and sprockets off ready for the new one when it gets delivered this week.

Lucky friend! I hope you are getting a beer (or similar) out of this? :)
avatar
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Posts : 238
Location : Croydon, Sarf Laaandan

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Stooby2 on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 3:10 pm

Well I'm not doing it for free, that's for sure! I just don't charge as much as a dealer.

Sponsored content

Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 12:19 pm