You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Wheel alignment

Share

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Posts : 789

Wheel alignment

Post by muttley1 on Mon 08 Aug 2016, 1:42 pm

I've not bothered much with rear wheel alignment and wondered if anyone has? Prev bikes I've had (esp cbr600 f3) weren't famed for Mr Honda's accuracy with this. Checking involved planks of wood, tape measures, sometimes string and a lot of faff.

All I do for the cb5 is measure the length of thread on the end of the adjuster bolts, if they are equal left and right and the chain has no tight spots, all good, quick burst of sae80/90 and thats it.

muttley1
avatar
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Posts : 307
Location : Bournemouth

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by ceejay on Mon 08 Aug 2016, 2:14 pm

I've messed about with string with mine before as the markers are definitely out on mine. It is a faff though like you say so only do it when I have good reason to believe wheel won't need removing or adjusting for a while (e.g. recently after new, chain, sprockets, tyre, bearings). I thought measuring from swing arm pivot point to centre of axle on each side might work and be a lot easier but exhaust get's in the way on one side. 

Most people probably don't mind if it's near enough but I can be a little OCD at times and one time I did use the Honda markers I got an advisory on my MOT for wheel alignment  Very Happy
avatar
ceejay
the 900
the 900

Posts : 307
Location : Bournemouth

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by ceejay on Mon 08 Aug 2016, 2:19 pm

I also remember the biggest pain being the fact that when I torque the axle nut the alignment is adjusted as a side effect (can't remember which way) so I have to allow for that before hand
avatar
stormbringer
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1294
Location : Aarhus, Denmark

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by stormbringer on Mon 08 Aug 2016, 8:59 pm

@ceejay wrote:I also remember the biggest pain being the fact that when I torque the axle nut the alignment is adjusted as a side effect (can't remember which way) so I have to allow for that before hand

+1
avatar
Grarea
the 900
the 900

Posts : 289
Location : Cornwall

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by Grarea on Thu 21 Sep 2017, 1:29 pm

Yes, I am pondering this now.
I am about to change my sprockets and would love to get this on straight.

I was not convinced it was straight.
Then I got an advisory saying it was out ( I had used the markings).
He said that they were often out.
I should measure the thread at the rear.
I did that, and since then, something is wrong.

It might be a coincidence and be fine, but I have read a few things about how to check, but there always seems to be someone saying how that method doesn't actually work.
I would like to make sure it is straight so I can rule it out.

I have seen string and rulers and calipers .... all of which I have ....... 

Also, +1 on the 'how do I stop the wheel moving when doing the final tighten?'

Any suggestions?
I have forgotten which method seemed the most correct.
avatar
Grarea
the 900
the 900

Posts : 289
Location : Cornwall

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by Grarea on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 12:18 pm

Can I bump this one please?
I bodged it to somewhere near straight.
But it would be nice to get it straight.
It still rides weird.
My forks seem twisted (Since I changed the seals)

So, I was going to try resetting them a la Delboy.

Thing is, first stage is 'straighten rear wheel.'

If the front wheel is out, that messes the string method up right?
I have been trying to find something to measure from to the back of the swingarm, but am struggling.

Any tips?
Or do I just plump for using the marks and reset the forks to the rear wheel and hope?
avatar
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Posts : 399

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by liverpool_f_ on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 2:22 pm

If your forks seem twisted, it might be worth checking that your front fork brace isn't missing/bent/corroded. An easily forgotten piece of gear since you can see it. As for aligning the rear wheel, I always used the marks and didn't give much thought to it. I also adjusted to the max slack for the chain so after tightening the axle it was closer to the minimum value.
avatar
Grarea
the 900
the 900

Posts : 289
Location : Cornwall

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by Grarea on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 4:07 pm

OK, thanks.
You mean the lower yoke?
It seems ok.
I guess the only way to know would be to take it out and test it for straight somehow?

I have straightened the back wheel to the marks, but it seems that people reckon theirs can be out.
There doesn't seem to be a 'right' way to do this does there?
I thought i could measure something but I can't find anything.

Delboy reckons the back wheel needs to be straight before you do the forks.
The whole thing kind of tracks funny, so I reckoned it is a wheel alignment thing.
(Also the mot said wheel alignment was way off but I have done stuff since then)

Looking down, the forks look a bit skewed I reckon, so will do that with the back wheel straight
using the marks and see if that works.
Trouble is, if the marks are off, then the rear wheel won't be straight so the forks won't be set straight?

Anyway, just found I haven't the right socket, need to get one (darn it).
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2694
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 4:51 pm

For the rear wheel alignment I gave up using all methods, I now stick my finger in between the edge of the tyre and the swingarm and do it by feel I find it much more accurate.

As for the front, different fork oil levels can cause a feeling of this, when it is in fact straight.
avatar
Grarea
the 900
the 900

Posts : 289
Location : Cornwall

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by Grarea on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 5:19 pm

OK, cheers.
At least I now know it isn't just me.
avatar
cj haughey
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Posts : 42

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by cj haughey on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 5:11 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:For the rear wheel alignment I gave up using all methods, I now stick my finger in between the edge of the tyre and the swingarm and do it by feel I find it much more accurate.

As for the front, different fork oil levels can cause a feeling of this, when it is in fact straight.

When you use the finger method do you find the markings out a good bit.
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2694
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 5:17 pm

@cj haughey wrote:
@Jameshambleton wrote:For the rear wheel alignment I gave up using all methods, I now stick my finger in between the edge of the tyre and the swingarm and do it by feel I find it much more accurate.
As for the front, different fork oil levels can cause a feeling of this, when it is in fact straight.
When you use the finger method do you find the markings out a good bit.

I didn't bother looking because I knew my wheel was aligned. I know they're about inline.
avatar
cj haughey
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Posts : 42

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by cj haughey on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 5:25 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:

@cj haughey wrote:


@Jameshambleton wrote:For the rear wheel alignment I gave up using all methods, I now stick my finger in between the edge of the tyre and the swingarm and do it by feel I find it much more accurate.
As for the front, different fork oil levels can cause a feeling of this, when it is in fact straight.


When you use the finger method do you find the markings out a good bit.



I didn't bother looking because I knew my wheel was aligned. I know they're about inline.

Ok as did mine that way and the marks seem to be out a good bit but havent got a chance to try the bike out
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3890
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 10:58 am

Even if the marks on the adjusters are correct then it only gets the rear wheel aligned with the swingarm; what you are actually trying to do is get the front wheel and rear wheel to be aligned with one and other - being aligned with the swingarm is a good start (given that the swingarm *should* be aligned with the rest of the bike).

The easiest way I have found of 'seeing' the relationship between the rear wheel and front wheel is to obtain two long straight bits of metal bar and use them to 'extend' the lines from the sides of the rear wheel to the front - in this way you can see if the front wheel and rear wheel are parallel. You might also be able to see any sideways offset, but this is harder to correct... You could also use bits of wood at a push but beware of how straight (or not) they are.

Haynes describes this (and another) method on page 7.16 in the Brakes, Wheels and Tyres section.

They also have a diagram:


Sponsored content

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Thu 19 Jul 2018, 10:29 am