Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

False neutral

sammythespider
Rossi
Rossi

False neutral

Post by sammythespider on Sun 07 Aug 2016, 8:53 pm

Hi everyone, went up from bradford area to devils bridge today, well known bike run, pushing reasonably hard but when hit 5th or 6th, not really sure bike went into false neutral, wouldn't change up to hit gear and was not happy going down, but got there, thought bugger, not positive on shift and carried on, however, this happened again, start to worry, very careful on shifting after that and no problem, is this me, is this something to worry about , is it a known problem, does this happen and not to bother, any advice welcome so I can drink beer and sleep, thanks sam

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: False neutral

Post by sullivj on Sun 07 Aug 2016, 9:03 pm

I've found the same a few times Sam.

For me, it tends to be when I don't shift it in positively enough. 

I think it's a 'rider' problem, nit a 'bike' one!
sammythespider
Rossi
Rossi

Post by sammythespider on Sun 07 Aug 2016, 9:07 pm

good to know, ill go and have another beer and put the credit card away, thanks sam
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Sun 07 Aug 2016, 9:40 pm

This has been covered on the forum before iirc. The outcome was that it is a rider problem. As our trusty 2 wheels are a little bit agricultural, they need a little bit more...erm..force when changing gears. Be a bit more 'ham fisted(footed)' and give it some when changing. I have experienced this myself and have less 'ghost' neutrals when being 'butch' with the lever. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some techy advice, but I think this is the general feeling.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 07 Aug 2016, 9:43 pm

I have a problem with 5th, sometimes it'll just freely rev after changing into it and I need to lower my revs to match the gear box and then it clunks and away I go again strange.

Edit: I use clutchless shifting

Last edited by Jameshambleton on Sun 07 Aug 2016, 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 07 Aug 2016, 9:45 pm

I used to get it from time to time but find it happens a lot less if at all when clutchless shifting.
sammythespider
Rossi
Rossi

Post by sammythespider on Mon 08 Aug 2016, 6:51 pm

Thanks for the replys, not too worried now with reading these, not sure I could have the nerve for clutchless shifting, after nearly 50 years of messing about with bikes you sort of get set in your ways, sam
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 08 Aug 2016, 8:56 pm

@sammythespider wrote:Thanks for the replys, not too worried now with reading these, not sure I could have the nerve for clutchless shifting, after nearly 50 years of messing about with bikes you sort of get set in your ways, sam
If you've been messin' with bikes for half a century, why haven't you long since started using clutchless shifting? They're all made with dogboxes, you know. Made for clutchless shifting.

False neutrals. Right. But to me it seems to be connected to the amount of hurry I'm in...
sammythespider
Rossi
Rossi

Post by sammythespider on Mon 08 Aug 2016, 11:03 pm

Nobody told me to, i thought thats why honda gave me a clutch lever, and you're right I was in a bit of a hurry at the time, so probably not concentrating on my shifting (with clutch), is there a technique for this you can advise me on, thanks

Last edited by sammythespider on Mon 08 Aug 2016, 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wanted to add a bit more)
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 2:46 am

Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 9:03 am

I shut the throttle, push up, open throttle, same with going down the gears too. From memory, it's something that just sort of happens now without me thinking about it.
sammythespider
Rossi
Rossi

Post by sammythespider on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 6:50 pm

thanks for the advice, you live and learn, will give this a try, not sure i will master it, old dog new tricks etc, but you never know, sam

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 8:04 pm