Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Project big-1

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Solved Re: Project big-1

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 10:54 am

Hmmm. Not convinced that exhaust was ever made to be compatible with the centre-stand!

Good luck getting the stand off with the angle grinder!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 09 Oct 2016, 10:46 pm

I've been doing some looking around and I think you're 100% right though I am just thinking about getting an oe honda stainless system (at the right price) and angle grinding the end can off and then just putting a slipon onto it but for now this will do. 

Had a worry last night that my head gasket had gone after finding coolant running along the crack and down towards the starter motor. Thankfully with a warm up today I found it is nothing more than another rubber o ring that has had it which is much more of a relief than what it could have been. 

Also tested the charging system at idle with the lights on I'm getting 14.2volts across the battery terminals - much better with this setup than a shunt reg/rec that needed to be about 3-4k rpm before reaching that voltage level.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 10:18 am

Refitted the standard exhaust, got a new rear light coming. Forks, wheels, discs are all on their way. 
And best of all, tomorrow morning she's insured!!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 7:42 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:Refitted the standard exhaust, got a new rear light coming. Forks, wheels, discs are all on their way. 
And best of all, tomorrow morning she's insured!!

Almost ready for a post-fettling test ride!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 25 Oct 2016, 10:10 am

Might as well do an update while I'm here. 

Turns out the issue with the rear light was that one of the bulbs was missing so the other wouldn't work at all.

only one of the replacement forks is good as one of the stanchions is broken at the bottom end but that's not a problem as I've got the spare stanchion.

Wheels and discs came yesterday so I'm going to get them resprayed.

I took her for a test ride on the Friday night after posting and the rear light dropped out and all of the caliper bolts came loose. I only noticed these when I got to my friends house, and he was out and his dad was too. I had no tools on me so I did the best that I could so on the way home I had to stop every 2km and finger tighten the caliper bolts up. 

The bike has 3 coolant leaks and I can't really fix them yet as it means a full coolant drain and carbs removed ect and I don't really have the time or space at the moment as I might as well do it when I get the new loom too and do it in one go. 

I put over 400 miles on the clock within 6 days. 

The front fork that had been butchered is pumping out oil all over the front disc, the front tyre locked up under normal braking and the rear spun out when coming out of a roundabout at low revs maybe 2-3k so basically less power than a 125... No feeling from the front tyre at all.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 9:06 am

Your caliper story reminds me that it is always useful to have a small adjustable spanner, especially when riding just-fixed motorcycles... Wink
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 15 Nov 2016, 10:43 pm

Not much has happened this last month other than fixing the 2 coolant leaks as the 3rd seems to have magically stopped. This post will be more detailed when I have time to write it up properly. 

I cut off the main stand which was interesting to say the least.  

I've also changed the entire loom, still have a problem with the clocks and the horns but these come from the switch gear that I luckily have a spare from but the overall the system seems better. 

Still havn't got the front fork swapped over yet either since the bandit is using the axle stands while that has no front end.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 8:35 pm

Well this should be the 2nd to last post in this unexpected project thread I hope. 

I've rebuilt the forks once again after both seals blew I also changed the fork leg so there is now so screwdriver gouges are no longer there. 

I've replaced the loom inside of the clocks to fix it intermittent indicator flashing issue that I originally thought was caused by the loom.

I've managed to re-fit the front mudguard with some normal bolts opposed to my temp bodge when 3/4 bolts fell out.

I've changed the front switchgear so that's fixed the horn not working issue.

I've managed to fitted the scottoiler so the chain will no longer become rusty throughout winter, after running the scottoiler on my cb500 last year I forgot how important chain maintenance is.

I've rerouted the front brake hose so that when the front wheel is lifted it doesn't become taught.

So she's all ready for the MOT in a weeks time, I have a feeling that there is going to be a few advisories I just hope wheel bearings aren't one of them. 

In the future I'm going to be fitting the scorpian exhaust system in the spring, removing the restrictor washers in the intake manifold and after the chain has worn enough I'll be fitting a stock 42 teeth rear sprocket or maybe changing the front down 1 tooth so the gearing will be very close to stock without the added expense, £6 for a front vs £25 for a rear.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 06 Dec 2016, 7:47 am

@Jameshambleton wrote:
So she's all ready for the MOT in a weeks time, I have a feeling that there is going to be a few advisories I just hope wheel bearings aren't one of them. 

Essentially, if you can't wiggle the front or rear wheel from side to side (no play) there isn't a problem - if there is a bit of play (detectable by wiggling - exactly what the MOT man does) you will get an advisory (probably), if it's is baaaaad it will fail.

Not the worst thing to get an advisory on, by a long way (unless you can't get the bearings out...).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 11:05 am