Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Project big-1

Jameshambleton

Solved Re: Project big-1

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 10:27 pm

Battery died so I hot swapped one out of the cb this morning, started the bike no problem left it running for about 6mins and then turned it off and fafed about with the new shed/workshop/garage returned to the bike and my battery is either dead or fried.... solenoid just clicked.

Update since I never finished the post. The battery is still in a working order and voltage isn't going over 14 so I think that rules out ac going over the battery, I've attempted to do a leak test and it's come back at 0 so I don't think there is a leak... 

I'm going to phone up carole nash since I still have a policy with them running on my cb5 so I'll just get them to change the bike over.

@ratatooie I've asked him before on multiple occasions and he's sure that he's covered even if that bike isn't but as soon as he steps off it, it isn't. He rode my cb5 for a few hundred miles too just after I bought it. IIRC he can ride any bike regardless of the insurance status of that bike just as long as he doesn't own it. I doubted this too but.. oh well.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 20 Aug 2016, 6:27 am

There are policies out there, which allow you to ride any bike, irrespective of its insurance status, but they're VERY few and far between, and normally include a mandatory declaring to the insurer, who must update the MID (Motor Insurers Database), within 24 hours, so that ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition - Used in all police cars now), will work effectively.

Most policies (like mine) work on the basis set out by ratatooie, and only provide cover on a third party basis, meaning if your Dad were to drop your bike, damage to it isn't covered.

If he's not making the MID declaration, ask him to re-check his policy.
ratatooie
Running out of unique names

Post by ratatooie on Mon 22 Aug 2016, 4:42 pm

Ah fair enough. I just mention it just in case. The worst time to figure out that you aren't actually insured is on the side of the road in from of your friendly neighbourhood bobby!
@sullivj - I had not actually heard of the self reporting to MID policies before. They sound like a good idea - almost like a form of personal insurance rather than vehicular insurance. I would imagine that it wouldn't be cheap though...

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 22 Aug 2016, 6:44 pm

We sell some, but only to large organisations, with vehicle fleets.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 4:08 pm

ratatooie wrote:
Jameshambleton wrote:Since this I've had the bike running and my dad took it for a spin around town since his insurance covers him to ride other bikes. 

Not to rain on your parade, but I think if your Dad relies on the entitlement to ride bikes other than his own under his insurance the other bike he is riding also has to have insurance and tax etc in place. Otherwise his insurance would not cover him. That is how my insurance works anyway.

Yeah, the bike you are *riding* also has to be insured by someone else... anyway, don't let that bother you, just make sure your dad doesn't crash :)

Well done for putting in so much effort: I'd have been 'like sod it man' after about day 1 and it would be languishing under a tarp in the yard for a year or two, but that's just me: no staying power!

I'm afraid that I think your master cylinder is buggered, unless you've got a leak or the hoses are bulging somewhere. If you an pull it back to the bar (and the bike isn't skidding!) that is usually a good sign that it is fooked. Does the bike have an MOT? From what you said I'm not sure it would pass the brake test!

Also, don't know if you've got a new loom yet or not, but you may not need one. Are you any good at soldering? If you are OK then it is worth cutting all the dodgy bits out of the loom (one bit at a time) and replacing with new wire, using heatshrink to insulate the solder joints at either end.
It is a faff but will be cheaper than a new loom and you can work on it bit by bit. A lot of the people who fit alarms don't always do a good job - a lot of people who remove them sometimes only make it worse... however, generally, it is better than having an alarm (which says something!).
ratatooie

Post by ratatooie on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 4:03 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:Also, don't know if you've got a new loom yet or not, but you may not need one.  Are you any good at soldering?  If you are OK then it is worth cutting all the dodgy bits out of the loom (one bit at a time) and replacing with new wire, using heatshrink to insulate the solder joints at either end.  

I just invested in a crimper and load of crimp bits as well as one of those automatic wire stripper tools for this very reason. They have been great so far and I am very impressed with the auto wire stripper things. They can even split a section the plastic insulation on the wire without breaking the wires themselves (if that makes sense) so you can splice in things willy nilly. Great bit of kit.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 7:50 pm

I'm currently eyeing up another 2 cb400's for spares for it, sadly they're back and the other is yellow but you can never have enough spares unless you're david silver but that's another matter.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 7:52 pm

go for it james get em bought Very Happy (ps I know where there is a tidy red cb5 for sale as well) Laughing
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 9:55 pm

Yeah I'll see what I can do. Yeah I keep bidding on this cb500 on ebay but some arse has a really high reserve.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 9:58 pm

well thanks for that Laughing Laughing Laughing
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 6:59 pm

Came in today to find a card put through my door from parcelforce so I was thinking my brake lines or pads had come as they require a signature. Knocked at my neighbors and there was this massive box passed to me and I had no idea what it was and was generally surprised. After I got in the door it said ukraine on it and I remembered what it was. 

It was my luggage rack that I had ordered over a month ago at the astonishing cost of £250  affraid

At first I thought I was playing pass the parcel only there was no music and I was the only person playing, it was wrapped up in so many layers, cling film, box and tape, more cling film, thin foam stuff and then more cling film. 

After having a few problems fitting it I remembered about this thread so the pics started to come, I must add that it didn't come with fitting instructions. 
First off I removed the rear cowl and the light, i then dropped the light and I broke the filament in one of the light bugga. Anyway it ended looking like this.

The lugs that go into the subframe didn't fit and it was starting to crack the rear cowl so off the mud guard. 

I then married the two off the bike, which took me a good few minutes.  

Next was putting it all back on the bike, that was fairly simple I must add. 

And as always with me.... problems started. The bolt that goes into the top eyelet is too long but no bother. Rear subframe bolt went in nicely. The foot peg hanger well remember I said I had problems...

The other side is the same.

I've emailed them about this issue that I'm having, I know I can have a small bracket made to help secure it but this was £250 so I want it to be right. I'm hoping for a replacement or at least a partial refund as postage costs are £50 each way. Panniers fit fine though so that's a good thing. I've also oiled the chain as I spotted the surface rust.
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 11:42 pm

James, I know why it doesn't fit. You bought it from the Ukraine. They drive on the other side of the road over there so you have got one for a left hand drive bike!!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 11:53 pm

Llewelyn1965 wrote:James, I know why it doesn't fit. You bought it from the Ukraine. They drive on the other side of the road over there so you have got one for a left hand drive bike!!

I can't tell if you're generally just taking the piss or if you've somehow got me added/seen me messing with some guys on facebook a while back haha
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 5:14 pm

Very Happy
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 7:05 pm

I think you'd be better making a bracket or two and worry about worrying the supplier later...
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 7:24 pm

It doesn't look like it's very far out. Would it be possible to adjust the angles of the rack a bit so it matches up?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 7:25 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:I think you'd be better making a bracket or two and worry about worrying the supplier later...

I've decided that the bike is going on the road in october so I have plenty of time to get it sorted out.

ashcroc wrote:It doesn't look like it's very far out.  Would it be possible to adjust the angles of the rack a bit so it matches up?

It's not far out, maybe a 10-15mm, I can pull it out so it matches with the foot peg hole is but the hold itself hasn't been drilled in the correct place. I think they've cut the end of the tube where they should have drilled the hole so I'll have to wait and see.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 11:16 pm

Some new parts came over the weekend, was going to fit them tonight but had issues with the cb5. Will be fitting them tomorrow when my mate comes round as he wants to learn how to do things like this.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 07 Sep 2016, 8:10 am

Well from the start I didn't like the feel of the brakes and a brake fluid change didn't do much either, not sure if it was the pads or the hoses but brakes are brakes and sometimes you may need them. A seeming simple job that ended up taking an evening and a while morning to do.

Popped out the pads from what was already fitted still had loads of wear left on them but anyway looked the same as the new pads so that's a good start. 

I got some kitchen roll and emptied the brake fluid reservoir.

Removed the caliper and the banjo, all was going well and there seemed to be peice in my little world. 

Fitted the brake lines to both calipers and the master cylinder and bled the system through.

Decided to give them a bit more of a clean up, might as well since I'm already working on them and it's just logical to do it at the same time. Off side caliper hanger came off fine and it got a decent clean up. 

Like always with my luck I hit problems, the near side caliper hanger didn't want to budge... at all, the offending part is typically the one that you need to take the hanger off to get to. After calling it a few choice words I remembered that I have a hammer, nylon hammer out and I started tapping away with the caliper in my hand and nothing happened other than hurting my thumb. 

I added some penetrating fluid and left it for a bit while I oiled my chains. Came back a bit later with some wood to put the caliper on so I didn't have to hurt my thumb much more. After about an hour later I successfully had made a nice dent in the wood and called it a c**t more times than I can remember.  

After getting the blow torch on it a few times I succeeded... in burning my hand. bugga. After a couple more hours of messing about with penetrating fluid, putting out the fires caused by it catching fire and the rubber boot catching fire a few times. I put the nylon hammer away and got out a toffee hammer. I got the blow torch on it yet again and got it so hot that the pad retaining pin went red hot. I then got a bit of wood the hold the top of the caliper still, I hit it with the hammer and it moved. After a lot more beating away at it (and hitting the caliper by accident) it came free. 

I didn't get a photo of it as I had misplaced my phone at that point, but it was badly corroded so I cleaned it up ito a decent enough standard with some 160grit sandpaper, I also tried to clean up the corrosion off the pistons best I could too but the caliper will need to be rebuilt at some point in the near future.

I packed it up using l2m grease that I've now realised I should have used copperease, and re fitted them. I bled the system through with a reservoir of fluid through each caliper and the brakes are now really good on the short run I did up and down the street, I'm contemplating putting a little bit of air in the system as it's now very sharp on the end of the lever, and the front locks up but this could be due to the michelin tyres that I don't think much to or the new pads are a bit sharp. 

Sadly there is still judder on the brake lever so I'm thinking I need to rebuild the master cylinder due to the lack of brake fluid changes in the past but I think the front will have happily locked up before it gets to that point
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Wed 07 Sep 2016, 8:49 am

Jameshambleton wrote: A seeming simple job that ended up taking an evening and a while morning to do.

Happens often to me, recently I had to install two bolts to fit my luggage rack and what I expected I'll finish  in minutes lasted hours Very Happy
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 07 Sep 2016, 5:40 pm

I wouldn't put any air in it.... you'll get used to how sharp they are, it won't be a problem.

I'm not surprised that they didn't work well before if one of the calipers was stuck on the slider!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 07 Sep 2016, 9:22 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:I wouldn't put any air in it.... you'll get used to how sharp they are, it won't be a problem.

I'm not surprised that they didn't work well before if one of the calipers was stuck on the slider!

I saw the hoses move when I pulled the lever in so I knew they were shot. I mean they worked.... just, not worth the risks with brakes even though I hardly use them. I'm going to put some s20 evo's on it or maybe some dunlop alpha's not looked into them much yet. Definitely want rid of my pilot streets that are on it as soon as I can but for now they have decent enough life so once the bike is on the road I might as well use them.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 26 Sep 2016, 1:28 pm

Nothing much to report at this stage other than I've now got coolant in the system at a 50/50mix like the cb5's. Choke has randomly started working properly so quiet strange but I'm sure that the carbs still need looking at. 

Well after emailing the company I got the rack from I didn't get a response and they didn't respond to paypal either so I got all of my money back.  cheers So now I just need to get some adapter brackets made up oh and a topbox mounting plate so if anyone has one spare Wink

So Since I have £260 to play with a few ordered have been placed throughout the internet, new (to me) scorpion exhaust system, some rear indicators, Furukawa QLW 250 connectors for the reg/rec upgrade that should be happening soon - also need to order the reg/rec too.

I'm thinking about changing the r/h switch gear as I don't have the option of turning the lights off when starting the bike.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 06 Oct 2016, 10:16 pm

A few issued have reared their head, a coolant leak, blown bulb and a few other things, including the fork leg where it has been butchered by dyrons motorcycles, is leaking oil and it's only been sat in the work shop.

I've checked the valve clearances and there are a few at the end of the range but not exactly too tight thankfully I've found out that the shims are the same across most honda's across all years including modern bikes!

Insurance has dropped down to just over £300 3rd party fire and theft with 1 years ncb, that's a lot better than the £700 I was quoted less than a month ago, many people over look this as their age makes a massive difference and I'm 20, 21 in feb... 

There was a coolant leak at the back of the cylinder head and I've used some high temp gasket sealant for now, it has stopped it for now. I've had a look on my parts booklet tonight and there is an o ring in there that I believe has perished and it has lost coolant that way. Thinking back the would explain the lack of coolant in the system when I first got it. 

I ordered a scorpion exhaust system, I've managed to fit it... sort of. The main stand has to be removed and it has seized in so it's pushing on the header and the link pipe, it needs to get removed but I don't have an angle grinder.... yet! Oh and the exhaust is leaking from the 3rd pot, and the system is missing a baffle. Some bright spark also thought it was a good idea to wield the end can to the link pipe so if I ever want to use a different end can I'll need to message Scorpion to make one. 

Anyway onto the progress I've made, the bike can now charge itself, apologies for the dark photos my phone's battery was low so it wouldn't use the flash.

My QLW 250 connectors came all the was from New jersey in The United States of fat people America, sir, yes sir! or something.... 

This is the RR690 reg/rec that was fitted to my cb500 before I had to change the engine so it has been borrowed. I'm looking at getting one of these for my cb500 now after I re-upgrade the stator I'll be looking for a reg/rec model FH020, FH012, FH011, FH010, or FH009 as all of these use the QLW 250 connectors. 

First I had to unplug all the connections you can see to get some movement on the stator cable. I cut off the connector and pulled back the cables back to the stator.

I then rerouted the cable to give me better access to the cables but also to use the extra length. So along the back of the engine it went. 

I got the waterproof grommets and fitted them to the cable. I then stripped the cable back and crimped the connectors on. 

I then pushed them into the connector and clicked them into place using a screwdriver, I then pushed the seals into the connector too once again using the trusty flat head. 

I then realised that I needed a cable to go from the reg/rec to the battery so I had a look for some.. I didn't find any so I settled for the next best thing. 

I cut the end off and then cut off the yellow and green earth cable so I was left with the blue and brown cables. I then put the seals on the cable and once again re-crimped the connectors. I did a test fit.

So with the test fit done I was left with this, I then measured it to length and cut it down to size... ish 

Since most things on the bike are black I decided that there was no place for a bright white household cable, so in temps less that 10c I got the spray paint out. I put some kitchen roll down on the floor and sprayed the cable. I then went and got the hair dryer and used that to cure the paint and I was left with something that looked like this. 

I then fed it through from the reg/rec and into the battery compartment, I then cut it down to size and fitted ring connectors and attached it to the battery. 

I then secured the reg/rec using the trusty cable ties and tried to start the bike, it works so I'm happy, I've managed to pass dodgy bare metal connections, poor connections and the loom so I'm happy. 
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 06 Oct 2016, 10:36 pm

Might as well do a separate post for the exhaust system.

So my Scorpian system came and it looked a fair bit different than the standard system as the pipes down the very centre of the bike and not along the side like the stock system. 

I removed the stock system and propped it up out of the way.

I fitted the headers with no issues, everything was going so well.. if you've read the rest of the thread you know where this is going...

So the end of the headers ends.. at the exact spot where the main stand is, the photo doesn't show it well but the end of the headers lines up exactly with the triangle of the main stand. 

I've attempted to remove the main stand and it's very much so seized in so needs grinding off so that'll be getting completed at a later date. I've had the bike running with the main stand up and the end can fitted and the main stand pushes the system down so it definitely needs to go. It needs new gaskets on the exhaust manifold, and the end can needs a baffle.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 5:57 am