Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Project big-1

Jameshambleton

Solved Project big-1

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 03 Aug 2016, 10:55 pm

So as the title says I have a Cb400 Super four project big-1. I must say she photographs really well shame she doesn't look that good in person. 

First things first that I noticed on the test ride is that the front brakes are shockingly terrible. The lever juddered when I was breaking and the clutch biting point is right at the end of the lever. Got her home this afternoon and had a couple of friends round for a short time each. I've had a good look around the bike and found some issues hence why this is in the Diaries, Blogs and Articles part of the site. 

Clutch cable is tight when the bars are on full lock, the bike starts without choke from cold but the engine stalls if you use any choke at all even when it's from warm or cold! Front fork seal is much worse than I expected as it pours out oil so new seals will be ordered in the morning. The rad fan doesn't come on at all so for now I'm going to fit a manual fan mod as a temporary bodge. The electrical connections in the bad end are shot and are poorly wired so that's a job in its self as is the whole electrical system. By the looks of the brake fluid the engine will also need new coolant so that will also be done some time tomorrow.

This is the brake fluid for reference

Now onto the good points, paintwork is good apart from chips and a dent on one side of the tank. It's just had a full new electrical system although I'll be rewiring this myself so that it doesn't use the loom. The engine runs well with a little bit of clutch rattle. Some service history. The bike also has the OE stainless steel exhaust. The oil in the engine is golden and very good so I won't be changing that anytime soon. 

First things first, restrictor kit has been ordered, my cb500 tec shocks should fit should I not like the gas showa shocks, very much over sprung even with full preload.

Onwards and upwards

Last edited by Jameshambleton on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Solved Re: Project big-1

Post by sullivj on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 6:25 am

Looks like a fun project James. 

Has she done many miles? It looks in pretty good condition from the photos. How old is she?
ratatooie
Running out of unique names

Post by ratatooie on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 11:33 am

I'll be reading this with interest! I bet that inline 4 will sound great with a decent pipe on it.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 10:08 pm

yes it looks fairly decent james Smile
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 11:01 pm

Well what a day, I've been working on the bike all day since 8am this morning til 8 tonight. 
I've since added more to the list of things to do that I'll get to later on in this post, either way I'm starting to think I paid too much.

So this morning I set out with the initecnions of cleaning the bike, oh boy wasn't I expecting what I found. First things first, I took off the seat, side panels and the tank. 

I then looked into the coolant expansion tank and that pretty much set the tone for the rest of the day... infact I've not even finished it so be expecting another post tomorrow... Anyway back to it... this is what it looked like on the side.

I then decided to drop the coolant and I got maybes 1 pint (450ml) of fluid out of it. I then got some fresh water out of the tap and filled it up, don't worry about it I live in a soft water area and I've not decaled the kettle in over 8 years. I then flushed through the system once, twice 3 times!!! and it still came out cloudy. I've left in some more fresh water in the system over night and that'll be getting dropped again tomorrow.

I then removed the rear light and I must say it's such a great design compared to the cb, the logic of the cb seems terrible. Two bolts from the inside with a proper piece of loom. the bolts are easily accessible from under the seat only problem is that they drop into a corner that I presume only a japanese person can fit their fingers into as I couldn't get my piano fingers into it. 

Next I attacked the heated grips that was fitted and this is where things started to go wrong. I pulled the wire back from the battery box (the cables didn't have the ring terminals on them), when removing the wiring from the controller to the headed grips things started getting weird... they'd been run into the headlight.. so that was an extra 15mins fafing about i could have done without. This is when things went wrong... I attempted to remove the throttle grip, when rotating it the throttle seemed to twist around, I was to later find out that this has wrecked the pull cable and the push cable had previously already gone walkies.. but we'll get to that

I next attacked the fork seal... dust seal off then weird blue stuff so naturally I decided to give it a good pull, it turned out to be paper, I presume it was a bodge to help stop a lot of fork oil coming out, for now it has been left but fork seals are on the way already. 

Next up was more parts removal... The real cowl came off and is just so so easy to fit and remove. 4 screws at the front, two bolts in the middle, 2 screws under the light. No squeezing pushing, pulling or having to put it in unlike the cb,  it was such a pleasure, Next up was the grab rails... I started removing them and it looks like someone has already done this at one point as the bolts were covered in copper slip.

Next on the attack was the calipers, oh my god. There is a saying that a photo says a thousand words, to me a calipers saying 1000 miles without getting cleaned.... bugga. There was... stuff, I have no idea what but wd40 was having a tough time removing it. I then tried bleeding the system after removing the pads and the caliper so I popped a piston out instead.. argggg, piston has rust on the top of it. But it went back in after a bit for brake fluid for lube and a 14mm socket and an extinction tube to keep even pressure across the piston and in she sled. 

I'll finish this post tomorrow including photos as I need sleep and my laptops battery is running low.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 8:33 am

Next on the attack was the chain but more importantly the front sprocket, what an awfully strange design. It has the gear linkage going through the sprocket cover so that took me a little tine as I didn't realise that I had to fully remove the blot rather than the releasing the pressure. Anyway I got it off and was greeted by this.

And this...

So after a decent bit of cleaning with a urm.. screw driver the majority of it had indeed gone. But I looked at the sprocket, then I looked again... There is a brand new but filthy, but new chain under that but look at the teeth, so sprockets are getting ordered today too.

The next challenge was infact getting the sprocket carrier out as it wouldn't budge. hitting it with a nylon hammer didn't seem to do anything, neither did holding the wheel up solely using the sprocket and shaking it like an old guy shaking his stick at small children playing. After giving up and giving it a choice and a mixed selection of words, I left it. I then grabbed it and belted with the hammer rather than tapping it. one side had movement, albeit 2mm it was indeed movement. After a little wriggle here and there boom it came out. 

Since I've gotten the the wheel out I attacked the swingarm. You would have thought that it was black and well it was but on the outside it's a nice silver. No photo before hand sadly as I just wanted to get the jobs done, as you can see I've scraped a load of stuff off onto the floor. This eventually came off with a load of rubbing and a lot of neat mucoff soaked into an old sock. I'll get an image today and put it up of what it looks like after. 

With the wheel back (also much easier than the cb as it has a proper mounting bracket that works) in all was ready to go so I thought. Tank back on and fitted, turned the ignition on and then the starter motor instantly comes on I poked a few wires and it stopped, most of the wires have been sliced and stuff when someone fitted an alarm and then they've removed the alarm. 

Anyway ignition on and then then pressed the button to start and it turned over but didn't fire, I tried it a few times and it wouldn't start. I checked the vaccum hose and fuel pipe and all was well. The bike eventually sputtered into life AND THEN SHOT UP to 9k revs. Ignition off, tried again and it did the same, tired again didn't want to start. I then checked the connections for the switch gear and all seemed well, I tried to start it up again and while turning it over I hit the kill switch and it did nothing the engine kept turning over (not running) I then decided to take the switch gear apart to find the push throttle cable completely missing and the throttle cable with only a few threads left on it so I think when I took the grips off something got messed up. 

I eventually managed to get a clear run through tracing the throttle cables back to the carbs. I think I need a @jerryfudd to clean them as I don't even know where to start with them myself. Back to it after messing with the cabled I managed to remove them both from the part that they screw into on the carbs. I then unbolted the airbox, unscrewed all the clamps in the inlet and airbox rubbers. I managed to pop the airbox off and then the carbs were less easy but nevertheless I got em off. I then tried fitting the cb's spare throttle cables and they're way too short, so they've been ordered too. I needed to get the carbs out anyway for fitting the restrictors that come today.  I plugged up the holes in the inlet of the engine and then both sides of the carbs with some kitchen roll. By this time it was getting dark so I fitted the longer clutch cable and then came in for the night.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 9:25 pm

Nice write up James. It will all be worth it in the end.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 9:27 pm

Well I took the day fairly easy today since my blood pressure is really low at the moment and when I stand up quickly I lose my vision and sometimes balance but neither the less the bike is almost done I believe, but enough about me I know you want to hear about the bike.

Another early start 8am, the first thought attack was the kettle and one pint of tea later I had decided the chain would be getting it first.... so it did sorta.. This is how it looked after yesterday’s cleaning yeah, it's not good. After a bit of wd40 I got bored.

The brake calliper was to be removed next and it did very nicely (Honda why you no do this on the cb500???) Anyway I started cleaning it and it was going decently well but the seals are buggered, I have to use mole grips to get the piston pushed back in, even with the bleed nipple fully removed.

This is the electrical mess I've been left with since one of the previous owners decided to fit an alarm system and another decided to remove it. I'm contemplating a replacement loom but for now it works so it'll be left alone. The rest of the electrics are crammed in the side panel I've since rerouted them a little to make more space, it still looks messy but none of the cables are now tight which can only be a good thing.

By this time I got rudely interrupted... by the postman, but he was forgiven as my new parts had come. Replacement seals and the restriction kit. They were a little hard to fit considering the space for the middle ones as I could hardly get a screwdriver in to leaver the rubber, infact the handle went into the air box it's pretty tight down there  Laughing Anyway managed to do them in under 30mins total so I was really happy.

Anyway back to where I was.. uh.. ahh yes! The chain! so it got cleaned and wd40 and cleaner and more wd40. It went from this.

To this.

Next up on the cleaning was the frame, airbox and anything else I could get my hands on really. Thi is the top of the airbox and the frame, infact if you look closely you can see the restrictor washer with some kitchen roll sticking out of it.

While fiddling about and taking the clocks off the top of the ignition barrel came off, you can see the crack on this photo. Bit of superglue in direct sunlight soon cured it.

While that was setting I moved the horse box and started looking for part of the calliper that I had lost the previous day. I found it after 2 hours searching. The Allan/hex key on the left is 5mm just for some perspective on how small this thing is.

Next thing was the sub air filter and well we all know what they look like but here is a photo anyway.

I tried bleeding the rear brake but no fluid would come out of the bleed nipple and it seemed completely solid, even the piston started pumping out and I wasn't gonna let what happened yesterday happen again. After some poking about I found a very small recess, sadly I didn't get a photo but after a bent pin was used from my mum sewing box. That soon sorted it out and I was back in business.

So on to the brake fluid the rear wasn't as bad as the front but it was still pretty bad. I bled that through a few times and all was well with no binding. The seals need to be replaced though so they've been ordered.

Other stuff I've done throught of the day is flush the coolant system again. I really need to get the water circulation going but to do that I need to run the engine and I can't really do that until I get the throttle cable. I've cleaned the rear wheel as it was covered in load of road grime and even though the wheel is black you can't see it but you sure can feel it. I also put some wd40 on the rockercover as that will be coming off soon for the valve clearances.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 9:46 pm

I admire your determination James. Real progress by the look of it.

Tha sub air filter was a state!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 9:54 pm

sullivj wrote:Looks like a fun project James. 

Has she done many miles? It looks in pretty good condition from the photos. How old is she?
45K, km so 28k miles. Has been used every year so that's always a good thing. 

ratatooie wrote:I'll be reading this with interest! I bet that inline 4 will sound great with a decent pipe on it.
from 6k upwards it sounds great, I'm not sure if I want to change the exhaust system though, this is in perfect condition and it's quiet at idle so it won't annoy people too much. But only time will tell and next door has a 8 month child and we share a driveway. 

skyrider wrote:yes it looks fairly decent james Smile
I was a little harsh in the first post but it does look really nice now it's been cleaned up but then again I've sunk a stupid amount of time into it so far. 

sullivj wrote:I admire your determination James. Real progress by the look of it.

That sub air filter was a state!
Thanks and yeah but nothing that didn't surprise me after finding my cb500's
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 06 Aug 2016, 11:11 pm

Well I didn't manage to get much done today, I only managed about 4 or 5 hours on it today. 

So today the exhaust was on the plans since my mate had already rubbed it up an area (see the first post). I couldn't exactly leave it so is was go all out or nothing. First things first, a pint of tea. Then the exhaust, it was very brown on the headers and there was a fair bit of discolouration and tar spots. 

I then attempted to get the manifold nuts off and they all did. No heat, no wd40 nothing just a 10mm and a flexi joint. 

With a bit of persuasion with a screwdriver I got the clamps off (I think that's what they're called, it's what the exhaust studs go through)

I used a brillo pad and a sock to clean it up. I spent at least 3 hours on this. 
Before 

Quick break, I'm very appreciative of the japanese person who knew that it would be the right thing to do to have a flat piece under the seat large enough to hold my pint mug. 

After

Refitting the exhaust was the hardest part as it's a full system so the muffler acted as a massive lever and didn't help much. 

Next up was the carbs. I sprayed them with gt85 and then some wd40. I scrubbed them with a toothbrush and then washed it all off with the last of my mucoff and they came up really rather well. I then squirted clean water over them. 

I replaced the kitchen roll just as a precaution even though most seemed dry. All the mess on the bench is only some of the stuff that came off them as I remembered that I needed a photo for this thread. 

Just as a thing of boredom I fitted the new heated grips.  

That was it for today.

Almost forgot, I checked the electrical connections for the rear indicators and the connectors work but the indicators don't, so a replacement set will be getting ordered soon.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 10:00 am

Not much real progress has been made but the bike is now up and running, so I guess that's a lot of progress? 

First thing I wanted to do was grow some flowers... hang on.... I mean weigh the bike of the bike down to the front wheel is in the air. 

Next precaution was to get wood, no not that sort of wood sicko, blocks of wood to prop under the engine just as a precaution one of the bags of compost fell off. 

Front brakes were removed and i pushed the pistons back in for easier re-assembly 

Next was the bolt that holds the front wheel in that was tight... really tight, as was the rear axle bolt. 1/2" rachet and a 3ft long breaker bar (my cb500's old stanchion) and it finally gave out after 3 attempts right at the end of it. 

The rest of the spindle came out perfectly fine. 

Next was removing of the mud guard. 

Next I encountered a slight issue the horns got in the was of the bolt on the bottom yoke. That was quickly resolved by my 10mm spanner. 

With the forks dropped out this is were things took a turn for the worst.

The damper rod bolt was in and in very tight. I couldn't unto it. I got a 6mm hex, a 6mm ring spanner and the trusty breaker bar. I bent and twisted the spanner and that was the end of that. I'm going to buy some long reach 3/8" hex keys soon, as I might start servicing forks for people. 

In the end I made a little contraption. By using my 1/4" set. I got a 6mm bit into a 1/4" adapter, then an extension tube, into a 1/4" into a 3/8th adapter, and then onto my ratchet. The I used my breaker bar again and crack..... the bolt came undone Smile  

After I got the fork oil out.... well there was none it had all pumped out of the seal. Remember the one with the blue hand paper in it yeah it's that one. Anyway I pulled it out and this is what I discovered needless to say I was not best happy. Thankfully it looks like it's only the side that it damaged and not where the seal seats so it **should** not leak, I hope. 

The other leg was fine full of oil ect ect but that got the seals changed anyway.

I rebuilt the forks with the new seals sadly I don't have any fork oil yet, but that's going to be coming later this week. Just after I got the forks back in there was a ring and it was the front door bell. The throttle cables had come, yay.

I fitted the cables to the carbs, put the carbs back in 3 times, 1st time was the wrong way around, next was upside down and then 3rd time lucky. They were in! The choke seems dodgy as it'll only run so far and then it kills the engine. 

While making a sub air filter out of an old sock, the blade slightly slipped and slice, needed to keep working so kitchen roll and a zip tie did a great job. 

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 2:36 pm

I'm quite surprised your breaker bar didn't break your 3/8" ratchet James!

You've made superb progress. It will be great to be able yo enjoy it, knowing that it's all good.

Enjoying the thread - thanks for continuing to post.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 4:42 pm

Wow that fork's been screwed up something chronic. It's as if they rammed the blue roll between the stanchion & seal with a hammer & screwdriver instead of just stuffing it in on top.

Unless you're very lucky I doubt a new seal in the would be oil tight. Some of those gouges run right to the bottom.

Just had a quick look & there's only a right hand fork on the bay.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 6:39 pm

sullivj wrote:I'm quite surprised your breaker bar didn't break your 3/8" ratchet James!

You've made superb progress. It will be great to be able to enjoy it, knowing that it's all good.

Enjoying the thread - thanks for continuing to post.
I've managed to lose one screw that holds on one of the panels on so not too happy. I hope to have it on the road by Saturday as I'm going to take it to Durham to get dyno'd, need to sort out my insurance for it yet.

ashcroc wrote:Wow that fork's been screwed up something chronic.  It's as if they rammed the blue roll between the stanchion & seal with a hammer & screwdriver instead of just stuffing it in on top.

Unless you're very lucky I doubt a new seal in the would be oil tight.  Some of those gouges run right to the bottom.

Just had a quick look & there's only a right hand fork on the bay.

It looks like just the outside as the flat part that the seal goes on seems to be undamaged. I'll wait for the fork oil later in the week and I'll see what happens, I hope all is well. If not then I'll get a pair of cbr600 f3 forks as I believe that they are a direct replacement.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 8:32 pm

Nothing to report on today, as the time got spent on the cb5 and after finding the state that it was in I was in no mood to work on anything else outside where I could see that engine and a bike I love so much without an engine in it. 

Anyway, the guy (Hi Mark =D he's reading the progress of the bike in this thread) who I got the cb4 from has let me know that the dreadful mess that the fork leg was done by Dyrons on York Road in Leeds. So avoid them at all costs. 

No sign of the fork oil today, nor the rear sprocket. I also need to get my insurance called up so I should be mobile by this weekend. 

The replacement clock housing came today as the standard clocks were cracked and steamed up after last nights rain so they're currently getting transferred over this evening in my room. 

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 10:45 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:I hope to have it on the road by Saturday as I'm going to take it to Durham to get dyno'd,
I have heard it said that rolling roads wreck the tyre. Any truth in that ?
Anyone I know who has r/r-ed a car always use slave wheels/tyres to prevent damage to their gooduns.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 11:09 pm

Not a clue but it is a full open throttle run but I suppose it's how many runs you do I guess. I've got the current michelin's on at the moment I have them on the cb and the rear lasted 2.5k miles, Bridgestone s20's are going to be put on it after that, then I might switch to a sports touring tyre since I can get a 150 rear and that opens up so many different combinations of tyres to use, that you don't get on the cb5.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 17 Aug 2016, 9:07 am

As with all things me the project is now stalled for the near future. 

The new sprockets came and I set about changing the rear sprocket as they hadn't been changed with the new chain that had been fitted although I'm starting to wonder if it was a new chain after all. 

The standard size sprockets are 15t front and 42t rear, they are the same sprockets that are used on our beloved cb500's only the rear is a 40 tooth but it's the exact same sprocket model. Confirmed by JT sprocket website.

I went to fit the rear sprocket and I got it fitted without too many problems apart from the hub getting stuck in the wheel again. 

I then found that the crush drive rubbers have perished but they'll do for now until I can find replacements. 

So with the new sprocket on all was looking well really, and going to plan.

Next up was the front sprocket, I had to chock the rear wheel against the swingarm as the pads wouldn't stop the wheel from turning. 

With the front sprocket out I found that the teeth were slightly hooked, I also found this on my cb500 today too. So here is the required new and old photo. 

This is when the issues started. After fitting the front sprocket the chain was taught and would not move back far enough. After looking at the sprockets and chain I found that chain is 108 links and it should be 110 links so I'm not too sure if it was a new chain or a bodge job from the garage and they just removed a link. 

The rear sprocket had excessive wear to a point that makes me believe it wasn't a new sprocket that was fitted, as the front that does 2-3 more rotations (so it wears faster) was in better condition. the rear sprocket was a 40 tooth as the standard is 42. 

Thankfully I have temporarily bodged this issue by putting my 40t sprocket off my cb500 onto it, yes it's not new but it's in much better condition than what was fitted. 

Since this I've had the bike running and my dad took it for a spin around town since his insurance covers him to ride other bikes. 

Only I've now run into more issues. One of which is insurance they want over £700 for a policy 3rd party fire and theft. 

Second issue is that the engine now has a slight tapping sound that's noticeable at low rpm. 

Third, the battery has since died so I'm going to be testing the reg/rec when I can. I've put the battery on an optimate and charged it. I press the starter button and it dropped to 6volts, I then tried it again and it dropped to 2 volts. I'm thinking that the reg/rec and the dodgy connections that go to it could be at fault as said garage Dyrons Motorcycled did the work. They've cut off the standard reg/rec connection. The cb4 shares the same reg/rec as the cb5, well at least it did.... so it's going to be hard to test it. 

I'm contemplating getting a replacement loom, but with a lacking of parts numbers available for the different years it's hard to find compatible parts from other years. 

The front brakes are still appalling, even to my cb5's standard of a single disc. I'm going to have to drop £40-£50 on new pads for the front as ebc hh sintered for 2 calipers aren't cheap. I'm hoping it's the pads and not that the m/c needs rebuilding, though with the colour of the brake fluid that was in it I'm not too hopeful.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 17 Aug 2016, 9:13 am

I almost forgot, I put in the fork oil into the uhh... forks.  affraid

The leg that had been battered with a screwdriver and hammer weeped oil. I popped the circlip out and gave the seal a good beating with the seal driver and it's now not leaking any oil at all thankfully. 

In an ideal world I'd build it up with liquid metal and then use a lathe to redo the hole but I don't have either of those things but for now it's holding.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 17 Aug 2016, 10:38 am

It might be worth contacting AM. Philpot or somewhere more local to you to see if they can sort the fork out.

The chain is probably shorter to allow for the smaller rear sprocket that's been fitted. It is hinky that the front sprocket's in better condition though. Maybe it was just chain & front that got changed last time? Either way, if it's the same garage that allowed that fork to go out like that I wouldn't be taking my bike there any time soon.

Insurance can seem crazy sometimes. Mine actually went down when I moved from a 125 to a 600! On one of my bikes I ended up setting the excess at the same value of the bike (effectively making it 3rd party only) to get it affordable & somehow declaring my disc lock managed to reduce my quotes by more than the lock cost in the first place.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 17 Aug 2016, 3:30 pm

While the fork is holding oil I'll leave it be for now but a new pair of forks only costs about £100ish so it maybe cheaper to get replacements rather than fix.

Spending a £100 on a new chain and sprockets isn't something I was planning but I'll run the alternative gearing for now as I'm getting short of money again and that's without the insurance shafting me. After this jt chain has had it I'll be getting a d.i.d vx 525 with jt sprockets 

Quotes have come down to £700 ish but I'll just wait until october then get it on the road as then I'll have 1 years ncb to use on a new policy and it drops it a few hundred quid at my age.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 17 Aug 2016, 7:22 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:The front brakes are still appalling, even to my cb5's standard of a single disc. I'm going to have to drop £40-£50 on new pads for the front as ebc hh sintered for 2 calipers aren't cheap.

I know everybody talks about EBC pads as the holy grail, but I've been using GOLDfren S33 grade half race pads on my CB and have found them excellent and durable. They are £14.50 delivered, on the bay. So £29.00 for a full front set.
I'm also using the latest AP DoT 5.1 fluid which has a specification as good as full racing DoT 4 fluids and is really good value also on the bay.
NB. NOT DoT 5 - that is silicone fluid !
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 17 Aug 2016, 8:50 pm

I've used ebc hh sintered on the front and rear of the cb5 and I love them, I can brake late, really hard and I can't see any wear on them and I've never locked up a wheel with them. With the 400 I can pull the lever as hard as I like (touches the bars when on the shortest adjustment) and I can still push it, and that's after I've cleaned the calipers and put 3 reservoirs of new dot4 through each caliper. 

I've just sat on the cb (without the engine), the front feels so nice as does the brake, the ones on the cb400 are so spongy and I can see the hoses expand and move when I squeeze the lever so I think I'm going to have to get some braided lines before I get it on the road. 

The 400's front shocks are really bad too, so I think I'll get some harder springs, rear is on max preload too and it's like the stock showa on the cb500, over sprung and under damped so I might put my spare tec shocks on the rear of the 400 and then I'll have to try to find some springs for the front.
ratatooie

Post by ratatooie on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:15 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:Since this I've had the bike running and my dad took it for a spin around town since his insurance covers him to ride other bikes. 

Not to rain on your parade, but I think if your Dad relies on the entitlement to ride bikes other than his own under his insurance the other bike he is riding also has to have insurance and tax etc in place. Otherwise his insurance would not cover him. That is how my insurance works anyway.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:00 am