Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Sealmate

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Sealmate

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 31 Jul 2016, 11:31 am

Well it just shows old dogs can be shown new tricks, i am 20yrs on bikes this year i put in new rear wheel bearings on cb about 4/5weeks ago, then last week i felt slight rocking in my rear wheel and i said  to my self they must been bad make of bearings, so i showed anigai (a younger member of the forum) he noticed my rear wheel axel nut was slightly loose, why theres no split pin in rear axel nut is beyond me, so i tightened up axel nut and used tread lock(it must be pot hole raveged roads of dublin city centre as i also lost a bolt out the givi rack arms...  .i was already to do forkseals this wkd new seals, fork oil, as left fork was leaking bad , anigai produces" seal mate ""it a flexable piece of  plastic he put it down around dust seal and fork seal and did 360 with it and load of gritty dirt came out and old seal is sealing again.... fork me it works cheers mite have to top up oil in that leg
Jameshambleton

Re: Sealmate

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 31 Jul 2016, 12:10 pm

If the seal has gone then it would need to be replaced anyway as it won't stop the leaking.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 31 Jul 2016, 2:02 pm

Not leaking at mo james and ive gone over loads speed ramps since, ive fork oil and new for seals to go in anyway but doesnt seam to be leaking now  Wink
GlenAnderson
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GlenAnderson on Sun 31 Jul 2016, 2:55 pm

Those seal-mate strips are very good. Obviously, if the seal is damaged then they don't do much, but if it's trapped grit or dirt in the seal causing the leak then they certainly save an enormous amount of time and effort. 

You're doing well to have only taken 20 years to find out about them; I have nearly twice that time on two wheels now and discovered them last year! Laughing
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Sun 31 Jul 2016, 3:47 pm

For the old heads on here, people used to used photographic film cut in the same shape to do the same job back in the day.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Sun 31 Jul 2016, 8:41 pm

liverpool_f_ wrote:For the old heads on here, people used to used photographic film cut in the same shape to do the same job back in the day.

i was going to post this up as well, but who has any negative film knocking around now?! well i do, lol.
alanp
Rossi
Rossi

Post by alanp on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 10:25 am

I recently used a sealmate for the first time as well. Lots of crud came out, pumped the forks about 10 times, and all good so far.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 9:44 am

The sealmate/film/cut up plastic milk bottle trick works well but only if you spot the leaking before the seal is permanently damaged.

...he noticed my rear wheel axel nut was slightly loose, why theres no split pin in rear axel nut is beyond me, so i tightened up axel nut and used tread lock...

It shouldn't need a spit pin (or thread lock) if it's done up tight enough (90 Nm or 67 ft-lbs) - mind you thread lock shouldn't do any harm as long as you can get it undone again!

Next time you get the opportunity it might be worth having a good hard look at the thread on your axle bolt - you might well have done it up correctly but a previous bodger might have already knackered the thread.

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 10:11 am

Yes et could probbably do with a new axel nut  at least...as it rounded by bodger ex owners.. i taught the axel nut tread was ok... thanks for advice et Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 3:06 pm