You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Spec/stats

Share
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2418
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Spec/stats

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 9:22 pm

Would it be possible to make this topic more detailed, such as what ebc pads are needed of the nissin and brembo calipers, details of how many links the chain is and what size the standard sprockets are and chain pitch, what sparkplugs are used ect what other sized tyres can be used. 
Just generally make it more detailed and helpful.
avatar
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!
Posts : 3787
Location : 'ere be fens. (near Cambridge)

Re: Spec/stats

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 30 Jul 2016, 4:53 pm

Yeah, I'm sure it is possible. Those specs look a bit like they've been cut and paste from another website.

If you'd like to have a go at updating/re-writing them then go ahead - we can sort out where to put them once the content is sorted.
avatar
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!
Posts : 1505
Location : London

Re: Spec/stats

Post by ashcroc on Sat 30 Jul 2016, 6:16 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:<<< snip >>>Those specs look a bit like they've been cut and paste from another website.<<< snip >>>


Everything in the 'Your CB' section was ported over from the old site when this one was created.
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2418
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Spec/stats

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 30 Jul 2016, 6:47 pm

I'll write up what I can then, and then I'll post it here.
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2418
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Spec/stats

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 30 Jul 2016, 9:46 pm

Unfinished at the moment just need to dump it so I don't lose it so far. 

Honda CB 500
Years: 1994 - 2003

Engine and transmission
Displacement: 499.00 ccm 
Engine type: DOHC Twin
Power: 57.00 HP (41.6 kW)
Torque: 46.00 Nm (4.7 kgf-m or 33.9 ft.lbs) 
Bore x stroke: 73.0 x 59.6 mm (2.9 x 2.3 inches)
Gearbox: 6-speed

Transmission - Chain 
Pitch:525
Links 108 
Front sprocket: 15 teeth - JTF297
Rear sprocket: 40 teeth  - JTR1332

Physical measures
Dry weight: 173.0 kg 
Seat height: 775 mm 
Wet weight: 203kg 

Chassis and dimensions
Front tyre : 110/80-17 120/70-17
Rear tyre : 130/80-17 130/70/17 140/70-17

Engine mounting bolts

Front: M10X260
Front with crash bars: M10X270
Upper rear: M10X165
Lower rear: M10X270
For replacement parts see Andy's thread http://www.cb500club.net/t4612-stainless-engine-mounting-bolts-and-alloy-spacers

Brakes

Front brake: Single 296mm disc 93-03
Rear brake: Single 240mm disc   97-03
Drum brake 94-96

Nissin master cylinder is able to be used with a brembo caliper, a brembo master cylinder is able to be used with a nissin caliper. 
Note: The thread pitch is different on the banjos so make sure you get the correct one or you'll crossthread the threads  

Brake pads 

94-96 -  Nissin
Front: EBC FA196HH 
Rear : EBC H321 - NEEDS CONFIRMATION!!!!

97-03 - Brembo 
Front: EBC FA209/2HH
Rear: EBC FA213HH

Alternative direct fit brake calipers
Brembo 97-02 can be fitted to 94-96 models
Nissin 94-96 can be fitted to 97-02 - these are quite rare and expensive. 

nt650v, right side is the exact same (including part numbers) brembo caliper as fitted to the 97-02 models. Cost about £35 on ebay
F2 cbr600 righthand caliper - personally not tested


Coolant 
50% distilled/lime free (soft) water to 50% corrosion ethylene glycol 

Alternative coolant
Evans waterless coolant - expensive but doesn't need to be changed  and doesn't need the expansion bottle 


Spark plugs
NGK CR9EH-9
NGK CR8EH-9
electrode gap 0.8mm - 0.9mm

Carb Jet sizes 
Pilot 38
main 122

 
Air filter 
K&N HA-5094

Oil filter
Hiflo 303 
K&N 303 

Speed and acceleration
Power/Weight ratio: 0.3295 HP/kg
0-60: Around 4.5 seconds 

Fuel tank
Fuel capacity: 18.00 litres (4.76 gallons)
Fuel reserve: 2.5 litres , personally I get 0.5 litres 
Fuel hose: Inside 8 mm Outside 13 mm length 255 mm
Vacuum hose: Inside 3.5 mm Outside 8mm length 210mm - slightly longer maybe preferable 

Forks
37mm - Note: stanchions sold by m&p are not compatible - ones sold by wemoto are
Fork seals dimensions 37x50x11mm

Handlebars
Renthal 759 bars fit with no alterations, 755 and 756's don't easily due to cabling issues 

Suspension

Front forks 

Standard oil 10w
hangon 7.5w 

94 Spacer size, xxxmm, spring length 308.3mm, oil ml 
96 Spacer size, xxxmm, spring length 509.9mm, oil ml 
97 Spacer size 100mm, spring length 409.1mm, oil ml 
98 Spacer size 100mm, spring length 409.1mm, oil ml 
99 Spacer size 100mm, spring length 409.1mm, oil ml 
00 Spacer size 100mm, spring length 409.1mm, oil ml 
01 Spacer size 100mm, spring length 409.1mm, oil ml 
02 Spacer size 100mm, spring length 409.1mm, oil ml 

Note: spacer was measured from my pair of 97 forks and it shares that part number with years 97-02 so it **should** be the same length

Rear shocks
Hagon - 
Tec - these are slightly longer than stock so when the bike is on the main stand both wheels stay on the ground. These are better than Hagon as they don't rust throughout winter riding. 

Battery 
ytx9-bs

Bulbs

Headlight h4 55w
Clocks -  naked model maybe different for the faired version? 12v 3w t10 
Indicator bulbs need to be 21w for correct flash rate
tail light 12v 21/5w dual filament bulb 

Sump plug 
M14 x 1.5

Colour codes:
93 - 95
Tasmania green metallic   Code: G142
Black Code:NH 1
Seychelle nightblue Code: PB186 
Fighting Red Code: R134

96
Tasmania green metallic   Code: G142
Black Code:NH 1
Seychelle nightblue Code: PB186 
Procyon red metallic Code: R203

97
Tasmania green metallic   Code: G142
Black Code:NH 1
Titan metallic Code: YR183 
Procyon red metallic Code: R203

98
Black Code:NH 1
Accurate Silver Code:NH146
Radiant red metallic Code:R218
Pearl citron yellow Code:Y140

99
Black Code:NH 1
Accurate Silver Code:NH146
Radiant red metallic Code:R218
Tango orange Code:YR201

00-02
Black Code:NH 1
Moodyblue metallic Code:PB296
Radiant red metallic Code:R218
Rich red metallic Code:R255


Credits: @Jameshambleton, @jerryfudd, @ANDYC, @muttley1
cb500-wiki.de, haynes manual


Last edited by Jameshambleton on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 3:00 pm; edited 10 times in total (Reason for editing : additional info added currently researching forks and brake calipers)
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2418
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Spec/stats

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 31 Jul 2016, 11:11 am

If anyone can help confirm or give a bit more detail in some areas that I've done wrong or missed let me know
avatar
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic
Posts : 835
Location : Windsor

Re: Spec/stats

Post by ANDYC on Sun 31 Jul 2016, 12:50 pm

Headight bulb is a H4 fittment not H3
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2418
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Spec/stats

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 7:40 pm

Since this thread is getting a lot of views, is there anything specifically that people are wanting to know or adding?

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Posts : 783

Re: Spec/stats

Post by muttley1 on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 9:03 pm

Hi,
and as most bikes will need some hard-to-find spares in due course this is a top thread imo, I'd like info on:

nissin/brembo master cyl and caliper combos / internal diameters
compatability with other Honda models for front calipers - F2 cbr600 righthand ones fit, I think F3, deauville and mid 90's vfr and Hornet ones do too (needs confirming)
I think the Nissin master cylinders were only fitted up to 1996 (needs confirming), important if you are ordering a master cylinder repair kit. Nissin and Brembo internals are totally different here.

revs for peak torque

and to add that Renthal 759 bars fit with no alterations, 755 and 756's don't easily due to cabling issues (although cabling can be re-routed) and clip ons don't work as no space for master cylinder. They're not allowed in Thundersport either.

Tec shocks are very good value replacements and work well. Hagon are more expensive but you can speak to them to get a spring rate relative to your weight and the roads you ride.
Progressive Hagon springs for the front come with oil (7.5w) but when fitting, the tighter coils of the spring are to be fitted at the top, not at the bottom of the forks like the stock ones.

muttley1
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2418
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Spec/stats

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 9:11 pm

@muttley1 wrote:Hi,
and as most bikes will need some hard-to-find spares in due course this is a top thread imo, I'd like info on:

nissin/brembo master cyl and caliper combos / internal diameters
compatability with other Honda models for front calipers - F2 cbr600 righthand ones fit, I think F3, deauville and mid 90's vfr and Hornet ones do too (needs confirming)
I think the Nissin master cylinders were only fitted up to 1996 (needs confirming), important if you are ordering a master cylinder repair kit. Nissin and Brembo internals are totally different here.

revs for peak torque

and to add that Renthal 759 bars fit with no alterations, 755 and 756's don't easily due to cabling issues (although cabling can be re-routed) and clip ons don't work as no space for master cylinder. They're not allowed in Thundersport either.

Tec shocks are very good value replacements and work well. Hagon are more expensive but you can speak to them to get a spring rate relative to your weight and the roads you ride.
Progressive Hagon springs for the front come with oil (7.5w) but when fitting, the tighter coils of the spring are to be fitted at the top, not at the bottom of the forks like the stock ones.

muttley1

Oh my  Shocked Some of that info I actually needed myself but had forgotten. I'll get this researched asap!
avatar
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1487
Location : not that far from Kirkistown

Re: Spec/stats

Post by Beresford on Tue 02 Aug 2016, 4:52 pm

The Nissin master cylinder is used on a vast range of bikes - including Triumphs and Buells for example. As far as I can find out the bores are available in sizes  1/2" , 14mm , 5/8" and maybe others in between. I have seen them frequently on offer on ebay complete with an adjustable lever (normally fitted to Tiger 800s in 14mm bore size). The 5/8" is used on older Trophys, Daytonas and the new Explorer range.
The only Triumph I know of that uses the 1/2" cylinder is the 955i Tiger, but this results in a soft lever feel with the twin calipers on that bike.

Anybody know the bore of the Nissin cylinder on the CB500 ?
I see on the Wemoto site that Nissin rebuild kits are much cheaper than the Brembo ones.
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2418
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Spec/stats

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 02 Aug 2016, 8:25 pm

@Beresford wrote:The Nissin master cylinder is used on a vast range of bikes - including Triumphs and Buells for example. As far as I can find out the bores are available in sizes  1/2" , 14mm , 5/8" and maybe others in between. I have seen them frequently on offer on ebay complete with an adjustable lever (normally fitted to Tiger 800s in 14mm bore size). The 5/8" is used on older Trophys, Daytonas and the new Explorer range.
The only Triumph I know of that uses the 1/2" cylinder is the 955i Tiger, but this results in a soft lever feel with the twin calipers on that bike.

Anybody know the bore of the Nissin cylinder on the CB500 ?
I see on the Wemoto site that Nissin rebuild kits are much cheaper than the Brembo ones.

I don't understand most of that but I can say that the inner diameter of the main cylinder should be 11.000 to 11.043 mm and the wear limit is 11.055 mm. The outer diameter of the master cylinder piston is 10.957 to 10.984 mm and the wear limit is 10.945 mm. But as I say that's just words and numbers to me  scratch
avatar
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1487
Location : not that far from Kirkistown

Re: Spec/stats

Post by Beresford on Tue 02 Aug 2016, 8:55 pm

Well the 1/2" Nissin cylinder would be 12.7mm bore so would give the CB which has an 11mm cylinder, a firmer lever feeling. Maybe better for trackday use.
avatar
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!
Posts : 1505
Location : London

Re: Spec/stats

Post by ashcroc on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 3:33 pm

CB400 super four right side brake caliper & bracket is identical to 94-96 nissin just gold instead of silver.
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2418
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Spec/stats

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 4:47 pm

@ashcroc wrote:CB400  super four right side brake caliper & bracket is identical to 94-96 nissin just gold instead of silver.

I was actually going to try this myself, as the front end of the cb400sf nc31 looks the same as a cbr600 f3.
avatar
Jameshambleton
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2418
Location : Bedale, North Yorkshire

Re: Spec/stats

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 24 Apr 2017, 10:19 am

Bearing sizes 


Front wheel (all models)

Bearing size 
x2 6302uu

Disc side seal 22x42x7
speedo drive side 40x50x5


Rear wheel  

Disc models 
x2 6303uu 

Sprocket 
6304uu

Seals
Disc side 28x47x7mm
Sprocket carrier 30x52x7mm This is only for the 1998 models onwards and not the 1997


NOTE: THERE IS A SPROCKET CARRIER YEAR OVERLAP ON THE 1997 MODELS. 
The 1997 uses a 6204 sprocket carrier bearing and a 28x47x7mm dust seal. 

Drum models 

x2 6303uu 

Sprocket 
6204uu

Seals
Drum side N/A 
Sprocket carrier 28x47x7mm


Last edited by Jameshambleton on Mon 15 May 2017, 4:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Posts : 645
Location : Chester

Re: Spec/stats

Post by jchesshyre on Tue 25 Apr 2017, 12:47 pm

@muttley1 wrote:
revs for peak torque

34.7 lb ft / 47 Nm @ 8000 rpm

Sponsored content

Re: Spec/stats

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Sun 25 Feb 2018, 5:29 pm