Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

3.1 litres of oil enough?

magicman-alex
Godly
Godly

3.1 litres of oil enough?

Post by magicman-alex on Thu 28 Jul 2016, 8:55 pm

Hi Folks!

Bike hasn't been used for a year or so. Have changed coolant, petrol and oil. 1998 CB500 SW. Very low mileage.

Using 5W40 fully synthetic. Overkill I know but I don't mind spending more to get the best stuff.

I've changed the oil and filter and put 3.1 litres in as per Haynes manual. 

Ran it for a minute or two and it's still only just at the bottom mark of the dipstick so needs more. (No leaks). Measurements taken with bike on its centre stand, as per Haynes.

Worried about overfilling it. What's everyone else's experiences with oil capacity?
Jack359
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Re: 3.1 litres of oil enough?

Post by Jack359 on Thu 28 Jul 2016, 8:58 pm

I've just checked in the Honda workshop manual and it also states 3.1 L. Maybe try to add a tiny bit more and also don't forget to get the engine to working temperature, turn it off, main stand on leveled surface, wait 5 min and check the dip stick. Smile

Make sure also your synthetic oil meets the JASO MA specifications so it is good for the wet clutch. Smile

Last edited by Jack359 on Thu 28 Jul 2016, 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 28 Jul 2016, 9:15 pm

This has been debated before.. Some get slightly more in, some get less. Weird but true..

Just put a bit more in, give it a run and check it again.
magicman-alex
Godly
Godly

Post by magicman-alex on Thu 28 Jul 2016, 10:34 pm

Thanks Chaps!

(I did search before posting!)

Measured it out using a jug and was very careful (added another 125ml after Jack's advice). 

Rode 1.5 miles to the garage (gently). Bike was as rough as a badger's arse but think it just needed warming up and cobwebs blasted out! Checked level again and was still below minimum.! :-(

Filled the rest of the petrol tank and rode to work car park where I'm storing it for the night before tomorrow's MOT (ahem!). It ran smoother.

Let it stand for a few minutes and checked again on centre stand. Seems to be at about the half way mark so all good!

Thanks for the quick replies!

BTW John - don't you think you should phone Sherri?! ;-)
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 1:15 am

Interesting. My last change took about 3 1/2 l. The previous one was the full 4l. I think that the suppliers are taking the piss when they claim the capacity of the canisters that are on sale.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 6:30 am

@magicman-alex wrote:
BTW John - don't you think you should phone Sherri?! ;-)

I'm still waiting for her to give me dates to rearrange dinner.... ;-)

Good luck with the MOT. Where do you go?
magicman-alex
Godly
Godly

Post by magicman-alex on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 6:48 am

Actually - we've been mentioning that we need to contact you both again to arrange dinner.

I go to Bolney for my MOTs.
magicman-alex
Godly
Godly

Post by magicman-alex on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 2:03 pm

Boom! No advisories! Very Happy

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 2:28 pm

@magicman-alex wrote:Boom! No advisories! Very Happy

Excellent.  Another year of happy motoring awaits!
rob75
Rossi
Rossi

Post by rob75 on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 8:28 pm

The manual says 3,1 L, but in some cases more oil me be necessary. Good warmed engine may lead to better draining oil. An engine rebuild requires approx. 4 L of oil.
Just be sure the bike is level (more or less) and check for the right amount after at least a good warm up of the oil. Normally the enigine should be brought to normal operating temperature and let the bike cool down for 10 minutes on the center stand.

BTW, nice to see that a forum is also functioning as a social medium. :-)

Cheers,
Rob

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Fri 29 Jul 2016, 8:45 pm

I think it was 2.9l if not changing the filter 3.1 if you do. Always worth a check when the fresh oil has settled down.

"Actually - we've been mentioning that we need to contact you both again to arrange dinner. I go to Bolney for my MOTs." Bloody hipster cusine gets everywhere. I go for a curry myself.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 8:52 pm