Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

New bike

Jameshambleton

New bike

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 24 Jul 2016, 9:31 pm

Since my cb has been such a liability I'm looking for a 2nd bike so when the cb breaks down again I won't be stuck.

I have about £1200 ish after I sell my 125. What bikes are good within that price range. I'm looking for something that A2 compliant and that has a full pannier rack capability. 

I've been thinking about an sv650, 400 bros, cb400sf/cb1 but I'm unsure about the luggage rack compatibility of these. 
I'm mainly looking for something that gets about 50+ mpg, can easily sit at 70, luggage rack and reliable
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Re: New bike

Post by ceejay on Sun 24 Jul 2016, 9:41 pm

a cb500 that's not cursed? surely one of the most reliable bikes out there!

sv650's people seem to rave about for value, not sure you'll get the mpg of the CB though
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 24 Jul 2016, 9:46 pm

I had 89 cb1 there pretty old now james, but there gear driven cams  so lovely sound off the engine.. i think the sv650 would be a good option, cb 400 i dont know much about them but there slower than cb1.. sv be lot newer less chance of having horse box moment Mad ... theres no restrictions in cb1
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Sun 24 Jul 2016, 10:05 pm

Well I'd get a CB500. ACE bikes. :-)
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Sun 24 Jul 2016, 10:19 pm

Buying a different CB is not a bad option. Cheaper than buying a second bike after you sell the cursed one and odds of getting a good one are high. I bought mine with big miles and no service history for very little money and it has stood up to some seriously hard work.

I would not consider going form a cb500 to any Suzuki for reliability purposes!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 24 Jul 2016, 11:15 pm

I'm keeping my current cb regardless as it was bought in memory of my grandad after he passed with the money he left me and I've sunk too much into the bike already including the £250ish I've just put into the charging system.

I want something different to the cb because frankly I'm quite sick of it at this stage and a different bike would be nice to have
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sun 24 Jul 2016, 11:34 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:Since my cb has been such a liability I'm looking for a 2nd bike so when the cb breaks down again I won't be stuck.

I have about £1200 ish after I sell my 125. What bikes are good within that price range. I'm looking for something that A2 compliant and that has a full pannier rack capability. 

I've been thinking about an sv650, 400 bros, cb400sf/cb1 but I'm unsure about the luggage rack compatibility of these. 
I'm mainly looking for something that gets about 50+ mpg, can easily sit at 70, luggage rack and reliable

I just recently got an sv650s '02 as a second bike for the same reasons you mention. My CB cooling system is a mare and needs an overhaul. 

I get 57/58 MPG from the sv with normal riding, not thrashing it. 52 MPG  with a tear up. It's a smaller tank than the CB so the range is about 25/30 miles less. 

I have been enjoying riding the sv until I got a bloody big nail through the rear tire. Still waiting on a tire from oponeo ( waste of time). So now I've got two utterly useless bikes in the driveway. 

The sv is quicker no doubt but it's not as comfortable as the CB. You lean forward more and I feel as if my feet are at my arse. I appreciated the CB more, weirdly, when I got the sv. The guy I ride with was going on about the sv being more modern and will make me a better rider etc and I know he just doesn't get the CB but I miss the old beater like mad. I feel very in control on the CB but feel as if the sv is taking me around. It's more capable than me. So is the CB but with that I am...ready. 

If I had £1200 I'd get a triumph t595. I wouldn't have two bikes of the same type. Sv is a bloody good bike and well worth the dough, there's so many you could be picky.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 5:26 am

Deauville - has storage anyway.
ratatooie
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by ratatooie on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 10:42 am

If you are looking to widen your options, the website below is really good! One of my mates pointed me in the direction of it a while ago (not realising I had the full licence), but it is a really good resource and you can just plug in what you want:

http://a2bikes.co.uk/
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 11:34 am

Thanks for the link and suggestions, I think I've pretty much decided on a cb400 super four as after a fair bit of research I've found a hard pannier system for it that looks good and I've wanted a cb400sf for a while it was either that or the cb and I got the cb so this time it's the 400's turn then I can have the best of both worlds!

http://www.mmotoracks.com/product/whole-welded-luggage-rack-system-for-honda-cb400sf-s-r-1996-2000

I can get PR4, PR3 or even bridgestone's s21's on it so the tyres will last loads more than the cb's.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 1:55 pm