Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Long haul

stormbringer

Re: Long haul

Post by stormbringer on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 8:51 am

@stormbringer wrote:Papers for the IBA application are being sorted now.

The IBA people seem to be dragging their feet. So I turned to my national Touring riders club MCTC, which I happen to be a member of. They promptly produced an equivalent to the SaddleSore 1000.
So, it's official:

Edit: Those who think it's hard to take the CB further than 1000 miles, should know that one of my MCTC club fellows made a +2500 km trip in less than 36 hours on his CB500 from 1995.  Proof is on the MCTC wall of fame.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 5:45 pm

Thats awesome. I think the little Honda is due a big congratulations along with yourself!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 6:36 pm

It's a great achievement irrespective of the IBA and their lack of speed.

Part of me wonders if they have a database of petrol stations in the US but not quite the same detail for Europe, so cross-referencing/checking your receipts/fuel stops/distances might take longer?  (Assuming they want to do that...)
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 14 Sep 2016, 8:03 am

@eternally_troubled wrote:Part of me wonders if they have a database of petrol stations in the US but not quite the same detail for Europe, so cross-referencing/checking your receipts/fuel stops/distances might take longer?  (Assuming they want to do that...)

Hehe - I never thought of that. You may have a point there. This could also explain their wish for a satnav-tracked route - or if that has not been made (my case!) a Google-map or similar, viewable by the reviewer handling the application.

Don't know... Nothing to do but wait and see.

Which brings us back to the 'umble CB being used for these long haul trips. Most people doing this sort of thing seem to be using big machinery; Harleys, BMWs etc. Why? I can only guess that these things offer better riding comfort. Or that people are mislead into thinking so.
No less than two danish CB's have this summer done in excess of 1000 miles in one go - one of them did 1500 miles. If the proof of the pudding is in the eating, this indicates that riding comfort is not an issue. The CB will do just nicely. No need for a Harley or big beemer here.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 5:15 am

I finally got around to reading this missive. Work has been manic, I'm at work now......

This is very impressive, Martin. I agree, the wee CeeBee is perfectly capable of tackling big distances with no drama. I liked your comment about your bike not even using any oil; it kinda validates the general consensus on how superb these bikes are :-)

Iron Butt isn't for me. I do big mileages, but generally not in one sitting - 911 miles is the most I've ever done and that was on an ST1100. The Parisian road trip on Little Donkey was 800-odd in 16 hours (with 100,000 miles plus on the odometer and no breakdown cover!) and my body bloody well noticed it!

Did you use your action cam on any part of the trip?
dodger
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by dodger on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 6:38 am

Yeah ,I did this a few years ago covering the 4 points of the Island of Ireland i.e. North ,South East and West ,also on a standard seat using a good old map ,arrived in Dunquin (Dingle) ,opened my top box and my flask had literally shaken  its self to pieces on the terrible roads ,had a couple of inches of tea floating around in it !!!!!!!!.
Did 1011 miles in 23.30 , it was hard going and my arse was sore for about 2 days afterwards !!!!!!!!,little CB ran like a dream .
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 7:55 am

@dodger wrote:........opened my top box and my flask had literally shaken  its self to pieces on the terrible roads ,had a couple of inches of tea floating around in it !!!!!!!!.

Oh wow. This has happened to me, though not with tea. Bad times :-/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 23 Aug 2017, 10:22 pm