Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Whole list of jobs completed on my CB

alanp
Rossi
Rossi

Whole list of jobs completed on my CB

Post by alanp on Sat 23 Jul 2016, 1:07 am

Just thought I'd post up my experiences of working through a big list of jobs on my CB500...and with thanks to this forum for all the helpful info. It's a 2000 / 2001 CB500Y, all very nice for it's age, 28,000 miles, but due some TLC.

So, over the last few weeks I've done:

• New headrace bearings (tapered rollers fitted). A real pig to get the old races out due to the lack of a lip to use a drift on. Lots of patient Dremmeling eventually got them out. The old ones were a butchered mess...someone had obviously tried and failed to do them at some point in the past.
  • Fork oil changed. Easy but a nuisance that there is no drain hole on the later fork legs. Forks were out for the headraces anyway, so no real drama.
  • Fork seals cleaned up with a SealMate - handy little thing.
  • Fork stanchion protectors fitted.
  • Oil, filters, coolant, plugs changed. All very straightforward.
  • Valves clearances done. All were too tight, and the timing seemed to be a tooth out on the cam chain. This is a bit fiddly but slow and steady did the trick...and a few days wait for the new shims through the post.
  • Carbs balanced. Mine were a bit out. Only needed tiny movements of the balance screw to change the readings. Main risk was of my lashed-up fuel tank going up in flames!
  • Swing-arm cross member cleaned up and coated with body underseal. Not pretty but should keep the shot-blasting road crud at bay for a bit.
  • Front engine mount bolt and spacers (they had cracked) replaced. Oh my god - this was a nightmare of drilling and dremmeling to get the old one out. It's now going to get greased twice a year to prevent me from ever going through that again!
  • New rear pads and a better disc from my spare bike fitted. Easy pad change to do.
  • Hagon shocks on the back.
  • BT45 tyres fitted from my spare bike. I hate the Avon Roadrunners that were on it - they are now on the spare bike instead.
  • Wheel alignment checked and done properly. I found that the swingarm marks were way out. The chain now runs much more quietly.
  • Under-seat rubbers 'topped up' as they'd compressed so much.
  • Every bolt torque checked with a torque wrench as I went along.
  • Givi 'Roadstar' screen taken off and replaced with a bigger Givi screen that was on my spare bike. Doesn't look as nice but much better now for motorway work.
  • Rear indicators changed and re-positioned further along the Givi mono-rack to make more room for my big throw-over panniers.

End result - well happy. Runs and steers like a very good one now - the previous vibrations have been hugely reduced, the ride is much better, the horrible turn-in and white-lining is gone, and the head-shaking (on deceleration with a top-box fitted) has disappeared.

Thanks again for the mine of tips and tricks on here. I'll post up a few piccies if anyone is interested and I can figure out how!
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Re: Whole list of jobs completed on my CB

Post by Tricky. on Sat 23 Jul 2016, 8:24 am

youve been busy-busy, good work.  Smile
TheWizardofOdds
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sun 24 Jul 2016, 12:34 am

Respect. It'll take me years to do all that!

Get some pics up, I'm too ashamed to do mine.   Embarassed
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 10:59 pm

Good work. I can certainly relate to some of those experiences! In fact it would be a good list for those about to contemplate CB500-fettling to read...
Grarea
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by Grarea on Sun 31 Jul 2016, 9:30 am

Wow, good list.
Well done that man.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:38 pm