Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

broken engine mount

Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

broken engine mount

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 9:23 pm

Has anyone fixed a broken engine mount lug? I have a perfectly good engine but one of the front lugs has broken. I have heard of them being welded or fixed somehow.

TIA
Llew
Jameshambleton

Re: broken engine mount

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 9:31 pm

if it's the part attached to the frame and it's it's a naked, I don't see why if you can do a good enough wield why it shouldn't be ok?
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 10:21 pm

It's the lug on the engine.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 10:23 pm

A decent tig welder should be able to sort it out.  A replacement engine may work out cheaper dependant on what's available & labour charges.
freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by freeride on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 8:49 pm

The metal is very thin at that point and I'm told  you have to apply a lot of heat first so the worry is whether that will create an issue internally. One of my mounts has been broken for years actually missing but no issues with the MOT. The oil leak was cured with careful cleaning(several times with meths) and then using "liquid metal". It is not an MOT fail unless the engine is loose unquote. I have a pair of crank cases ready to use when it finally gives it but I can't see that coming yet a while.
davebike500
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by davebike500 on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 9:40 am

I seen lots my testers view
No issue unless lose !
rob75
Rossi
Rossi

Post by rob75 on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 1:23 pm

I know of a product called Lumiweld that is even for DIY use a good one for this kind of repair. It needs heat, but no more then from an ordinary soldering torch.

This is the product: http://www.frost.co.uk/auto-bodywork-welding-metalworking-machine/automotive-welding-tools/welding-welder-spare-part/lumiweld-kit-10-rods.html

Cheers,

Rob
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 9:18 pm

That looks good, but I'd need to take it to someone as my idea of DIY is putting my own petrol in!!! Shocked Very Happy
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 20 Jul 2016, 11:03 pm

@rob75 wrote:I know of a product called Lumiweld that is even for DIY use a good one for this kind of repair. It needs heat, but no more then from an ordinary soldering torch.

This is the product: http://www.frost.co.uk/auto-bodywork-welding-metalworking-machine/automotive-welding-tools/welding-welder-spare-part/lumiweld-kit-10-rods.html

Cheers,

Rob

Just had a look at that - it's essentially brazing - would probably be fine for the engine mount, especially if it is only one side that has gone...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 5:38 pm