You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

...Hi!

SGdoomtrooper

...Hi!

Post by SGdoomtrooper on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 5:29 am

Hey all,

Had my CB500 for about a year now, bought it for £650 after my Suzuki GSXR400 got stolen and burnt out. It's a cat C write-off with new forks, front wheel and fender. The tank has a huge dent where I'm guessing the poor sods nuts walloped into it. It's a '95 model and thus has the drum at the rear and nissin caliper at the front instead of the renowned Brembo front and back, but it bothers me not. 

I swapped out the tired old silencer for a 'Simmi performance' stainless one off eBay, I must admit I was skeptical, but it does look the part and gives off a satisfying grumble even in road-legal form with baffle remaining.

It was intended just to be a stop-gap until I could afford something more 'interesting', but a year later and I don't intend to get rid any time soon. I love my little CB! I have my mod 2 test on Friday for the full category A license, having been riding on an A2 for 2 and a half years, so hopefully I can regain my 10 horsepower very soon!

-Ky

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: ...Hi!

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 11:52 pm

Hi sgdoomtrooper, u have a jap assembled cb with a with better build quality than italian built one.cb 500 a great bike and i spend more time on cb than my elderly fireblade. Cb a nipply bike more than learner hack or dispatch tool . U had a gsxr 400 hmm i like one an sp version... i nearly bought a 88 version one with out usual high level gsxr frame a long time ago.  My back wouldnt take riding position of one now, where cb i could ride all day, welcome to forum. I was looking at simmi exhaust  for cb let us know how you get on with it
SGdoomtrooper

Post by SGdoomtrooper on Fri 08 Jul 2016, 12:49 am

So cb500 production was shifted from Japan to Italy? What year was this? I wasn't aware of that.

My gsxr was an '88 too, gk73a model. Couldn't rely on it to take you anywhere without breaking down. It had had its day, but it was still a real shame when it got burnt out. With a bit of time and patience it could've been a gem. Swingarm developed a crack so I sourced a new one, which is still sitting in my garage. PS if you know anyone who's after a GSXR400 swingarm, send them my way! Lol.

The exhaust seems good, for the money. However I did have some fitting issues, as I had to put a big spacer between the hanger and the mounting point otherwise the exhaust was pressed up against the bottom of the rear footpeg mount. Also, the bracket for the centre-stand to rest on isn't quite in the right place. I've used duct tape and pennies to push the stand down enough so that it's not rubbing on the chain, although this is strictly a bodge-job temporary fix, and I understand the only way I'll get around it is to get it welded or get a bolt and wide spacers for the centre stand to rest on. I do wonder whether I've done something wrong in the fitting to make it sit the way it does. Aside from that it's great, but it is loud for a road legal can. The difference in noise with no baffle is negligible. There are no leaks anywhere. Fair bit of popping on the overrun. Wondering whether I should rejet carbs although the engine doesn't seem to run any hotter than before.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 08 Jul 2016, 6:38 am

Cb 500 94 to 96 built in japan,96 some stll from japan ,96/97 on in italy on brembo brakes build quality went bit down.at least engine was built in jap. It have plate on frame rhs saying from italy
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 08 Jul 2016, 8:06 am

Hello!

Bike looks nice. I wouldn't worry too much about having a drum-model: the nissin front brake really isn't any different to the brembo version, IMO having a drum on the back isn't a disadvantage (less to go wrong, less cleaning of pistons etc). I say this as someone who has the brembo version!

Anyway, glad to hear you are having fun with it!
SGdoomtrooper

Post by SGdoomtrooper on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 6:08 pm

Thank you!

That is true, and I certainly haven't found the brakes to be lacking in any way. Then again, I'm not that much of a racer, unless I'm in the mood and the road looks particularly appealing!

Passed my mod 2 for my A license yesterday so when I get back from the missuses, those inlet restrictors are coming straight off, no messing! Smile
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 7:00 pm

good man well done Smile
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 7:29 pm

Well done on passing your mod2 again!
SGdoomtrooper

Post by SGdoomtrooper on Mon 11 Jul 2016, 12:33 am

Thank you very much! Feels a lot snappier without those fun-sappers in the rubbers. 

Aye, 'again' being the operative word! Very unfortunate that passing your bike test is such an ordeal nowadays, and an expensive one at that. At least I no longer have to think about it, but I do feel for the ones that have a real passion for biking but lack the funds to progress up from a 125.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 11 Jul 2016, 3:18 pm

when I passed my bike test in 1980 I just had to go on a tour round a few streets and I just saw the examiner galloping down side roads watching me until he leapt out in front of me for the emergency stop then just a few highway code questions, now I believe its a bit of a palova with different tests Neutral
serviceman
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by serviceman on Sun 31 Jul 2016, 8:44 pm

@skyrider wrote:when I passed my bike test in 1980 I just had to go on a tour round a few streets and I just saw the examiner galloping down side roads watching me until he leapt out in front of me for the emergency stop then just a few highway code questions, now I believe its a bit of a palova with different tests Neutral

Those where the days when my examiner said go back to the centre I thought what have done wrong good job I'd put my bike on its stand or I might have fallen over when he said I passed that was back in '74 when you could ride up to 250cc pass your test and climb on a 900 and kill your self. things might have got complicated but for once I think rightly so.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sun 31 Jul 2016, 9:48 pm

I've a disc and a drum bike, latter a project. No difference in the rear brake I can tell. The drum bike is 1995 and does seem better put together than the disc one, swingarm not as rusty etc.

muttley1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 16 Aug 2018, 8:46 am