Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Help Needed! - Oil Leak

jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Help Needed! - Oil Leak

Post by jimbobs63 on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 4:36 pm

Hi,

I've just noticed that I have oil leaking from the top of the left hand crankcase and it appears to be coming from where the wire to the stator goes through a grommet into the casing.

Can anyone advise on how straightforward it might be to fix, and what I'll need to do it?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Best Wishes,
Jim
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Re: Help Needed! - Oil Leak

Post by Tricky. on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 5:29 pm

open crank case up a little and coat the rubber grommet in gasket sealer.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 5:30 pm

PS. lean the bike over on the right hand side and you wont have to drain the oil.
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 6:05 pm

Thanks Tricky,

Do you think it's the grommet itself, or is it more likely to be the crankcase gasket just behind it?  

If I do open the crankcase up, shouldn't replace the gasket anyway?

Jim
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 6:35 pm

the gasket could be knackered, wont know till you take the case off. when you do, use a stanley blade or wallpaper scrapper to ease it apart without breaking it. if youre going to take the whole case off then you may as well put a thin smear of sealer on both sides of the gasket along with around the grommet.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 7:13 pm

The rubber gasket for the stator wires has two different parts, there is the initial getting out of the case, then a hollow, then the final piece that you're able to see. 
Check the casing nuts are all at the same torque.
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 7:57 pm

Thanks for the replies guys!

I had no idea that the stator would be immersed in the engine oil, but from you're saying and that photo you posted, it must be!

OK, I think I will buy a new gasket, just in case, along with some gasket sealer, and give it a go.  Does the gasket and/or grommet have to be clean/free from oil for the sealer to work?

Jim

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 8:42 pm

Yes, it does really need to be clean Jim. 

If you check the Honda service manual, you'll see where to put the sealant - they are quite prescriptive about it.

jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 7:45 pm

Hi

I think I may have been completely stupid, but I'll just wait for your opinion on that...!!

I thought I'd check the oil level given that I have a supposed leak, and  before doing that I decided to read the Haynes manual section on draining the oil should I need to when changing the gasket.

.... and then it struck me... the last time I fill up with oil a just over a week ago it seemed to be very low so had to put quite a bit in - but I stupidly had the bike on the side stand rather than the centre stand!!

So, I've obviously overfilled the engine with oil.  Indeed, checking it on the centre stand just now it's way over the mark!

Now, could the overfilling of oil cause it to weep out through the stator wire grommet, but not be technically a "leak"?  

Or do you think the overfilling has actually caused a leak around the grommet?

Thanks for any further advice (and opinions/constructive criticism of my stupidity),
Jim
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 8:12 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 8:15 pm

I bet you are not the first person to top up with oil while the bike is on its side stand
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 9:53 pm

Sorry to side track a little, but where did you get an original Honda workshop manual Sulli? The haynes is decent but I would love to get a hold of one of those.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 10:10 pm

@liverpool_f_ wrote:Sorry to side track a little, but where did you get an original Honda workshop manual Sulli? The haynes is decent but I would love to get a hold of one of those.

My 'secret agent' got it for me. I'll ask him to send you a PM.

As for the oil, it's quite possible that removing some could resolve the 'leak'. You might be able to undo the sump enough to let some drain out, back to the correct level.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 11:04 pm

yes too much oil could cause a leak as the pressure will be higher than supposed to be, drain it out and refill to correct amount.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 11:49 pm

If the sump is overfilled, the thing to avoid at all costs is any level where the crank churns through the oil. That could result in making the oil into a foam which may not pass at proper pressure through the pump to the bearings. Could end in a wrecked engine.
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Wed 06 Jul 2016, 8:20 pm

I haven't had the chance to drain out the excess oil yet, but I tried short-shifting today, only allowing the revs to peak just below 4k, and there was no leak, so that may well be it.  

The lack of high revs meant that despite the high oil level there wasn't quite as much associated pressure and it didn't force the oil through past the grommet.  Now I just need to see what happens with the proper oil level and high revs....

I should have time to get the oil drained at the weekend, and in the meantime I don't actually need to use the bike for the next two days.

Jim
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 11:14 pm

Cheers Sulli!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 08 Jul 2016, 8:24 am

It will be OK if you've only slightly overfilled it. A lot easier to fix than a proper leak!
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 12:27 pm

Hi again,

Well I've just drained away the excess oil - it turns out that there was nearly 2 litres more in there than there should have been!

Thankfully I spotted it quite soon and only ran it like that for less than 50 miles in total.

I'll go for a ride later to see properly if the weeping grommet is weeping no more...!

Jim
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 4:34 pm

Yes!  

Just taken the bike out for a ride - up to 75mph and 8k+ revs on the A3 and no sign of a leak!

Job done!

Jim
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 6:48 pm

excellent tragedy averted then Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 7:17 pm