Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Ordering new rear brake pads and installing

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Ordering new rear brake pads and installing

Post by Beresford on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 7:09 pm

Unfortunately you are going to have to take the caliper off the suspension arm so you can strip/clean/lubricate it. If you continue to run it as you are doing you will have a large bill for a new disc as you will either warp it or crack it.

BallisticBrian
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by BallisticBrian on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 7:45 pm

Unfortunately you are going to have to take the caliper off the suspension arm so you can strip/clean/lubricate it. If you continue to run it as you are doing you will have a large bill for a new disc as you will either warp it or crack it.

Thanks for that, I didn't realise that riding it would be worse than before I tried to change the pads. I'm not sure how to explain the gap that there is now between the old pad and the disk, but it's there and breaking was not very efficient.

Since posting the posts above I now realise there aren't cheaply available replacement Bimbo Calipers.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 7:54 pm

there are  front and rear cb5 brembo calipers on fleabay at the moment

BallisticBrian
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by BallisticBrian on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 8:13 pm

The trouble is, I work 6 days a week, long hours and I have Sundays to maintain a large garden, so now I remember why I don't do a lot on the motorbike. I also have a battery (which is new) that needs recharging every 6 weeks and a hole in my exhaust collars.

I'm kinda hoping that all the WD40 I applied will soak in and in the morning it will all work fine, but I fear this is wishful thinking.

Or start stripping the caliper down tomorrow, because that one on eBay has a slightly rusty pin and I haven't even looked at mine yet - may be the same.

Anyway sorry for wallowing in self pitty but the other halfs cam belt is due at the mo and that's £460.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 8:20 pm

there was rust on my pins so I just went over them with some wire wool and they came up ok, but as you say you are a bit snowed under at the moment so the bike goes on the back burner

BallisticBrian
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by BallisticBrian on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 8:26 pm

Reading through the Haynes, it wants me to drain the hydraulic fluid and remove the rear wheel for a complete over haul, but to simply try to clean up the one slider pin on the caliper, can I simply unbolt the caliper and try to pull it out with the slider pin with the rear wheel in situ?
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 8:48 pm

right I have just had a look at mine and it looks like you will have to put the bike on the centre stand and take the axle bolt out part way so you can lift the caliper bracket away from the bike, its not as easy as the front as that is fixed to the fork leg with two bolts, with the rear the caliper and bracket look to be one fitting you will probably be able to separate them when you get the bracket off the bike and I wouldn't have thought you would have to drain the oil just to get to the pin

BallisticBrian
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by BallisticBrian on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 8:54 pm

OK cheers, I appreciate your help. I just noticed that in it's current state (reassembled but with a seized upper pin) the bracket assembly bends every time you press the brake pedal. I assume it is compensating for the non movement of the pin. Not great though as that bracket I'm sure isn't supposed to do that job or be a "stressed member" as it were.

I'm going to work on it tomorrow.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 8:59 pm

no it needs to be looked at
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:10 pm

Yes you'll have to remove the rear wheel and it's a MASSIVE pain to get it all back in correctly. The caliper slides on the pins as it's only a single sided piston so it slides as the pads wear down to ensure that both pads apply even pressure to the disc. If you don't have equal pressure applied to the disc, it WILL crack the disc as I found out.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 10:25 pm

If you've o choice but to use the bike, throw both old pads back in (if that's an option after using them to push the piston back) til you have time to sort it.

If it's any help, I only tend to use the rear brake in the wet & when stopped at junctions/lights.  The rest of the time I tend to use the front & the engine yo slow down.

BallisticBrian
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by BallisticBrian on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 11:16 pm

If you've o choice but to use the bike, throw both old pads back in (if that's an option after using them to push the piston back) til you have time to sort it.
Yeah, but I just don't get it, am I missing something? Why is there a gap between the old worn pad on the left side and no gap between the new pad and the disk on the right side?
I understand that there is one piston and the caliper closes on both sides via the pins but it's like the gap is on the wrong side.

Is it because... when I hammered the new pad in on the left side, it opened up the gap along the line of the seized pin, and now that gap wont close again?

If this is indeed the case, then what you say wont really work (putting both old pads in).
magicman-alex
Godly
Godly

Post by magicman-alex on Sun 10 Jul 2016, 8:20 am

Tried to send you a PM but it didn't send, it's stuck in my Outbox. Not sure if it's your settings. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

BallisticBrian
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by BallisticBrian on Sun 10 Jul 2016, 8:36 am

I'm in Hampshire. Obviously I though this was going to take 45 mins, I've booked it in mid week into the garage to look at the caliper.

BallisticBrian
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by BallisticBrian on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 9:18 pm

The Garage hammered it out for me this afternoon, apparently it was a bit of a job tapping away at it and when he was about to give up, it "popped" out, so it sounds to me more like it was *stuck* than rusted up. Anyway, thanks for all the support on here. I now know the calipers inside out, so should be able to replace front and rear pads from now on.

The next thing is my blowing exhaust which has a massive hole in the collar. The garage has agreed to fit new downpipes for about an hours labour, so I am ordering my stainless steel down tubes tomorrow.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 9:22 pm

they will look neat when they are on
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 10:35 am

You might have done yourself a favour by putting it in the garage to fix the downpipes: the nuts/studs are often corroded and have a tendency to snap in the most annoying way.

If you slider pins are stuck/sticky the caliper will not be free to move properly and hence it will not be able to move to accommodate the extra thickness of the new pad (compared with the worn pad) - this is why it presses the pad onto the disc. I would hope that the garage will have fixed your slider problems as well as removing the stuck pad.

BallisticBrian
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by BallisticBrian on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 10:40 pm

Hearing your comments about that, I sat speculating, why you don't have an exhaust manifold on motorcycles. Doesn't have to be huge, but a couple of inches of heavy steel just to take a bit of heat out of the connection of exhaust to engine?
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 10:47 pm

One solution is to use copper manifold nuts. They are easily available on ebay.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 5:31 pm