Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Ordering new rear brake pads and installing

BallisticBrian
Godly
Godly

Ordering new rear brake pads and installing

Post by BallisticBrian on Sun 03 Jul 2016, 12:32 pm

I'm going to attempt to change the rear pads for the first time.

I have opted for the first brand I recognise which EBC. I haven't heard of any of the brands cheaper than those. The only thing I don't understand is it says they are "organic". Does it mean they are grown on a farm or something. (only kidding)

The only off-putting bit in the Haynes is it tells you to check the "pad spring" and "pad plate" are correctly positioned when reinserting new pads. God knows if that is difficult or what you do if they are not? It looks far too cramped working through the gap left by the pads to do anything in there?
Jameshambleton

Re: Ordering new rear brake pads and installing

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 03 Jul 2016, 12:55 pm

I personally use ebc hh sintered front and rear. Pad spring in mounted on the caliper itself. 
Make sure that the pads sit in the seating clip or it'll cost you a small fortune in replacement discs as I found out the hard way.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sun 03 Jul 2016, 1:04 pm

The pad plate is what the end of the pads locate in, ie opposite end to where the pin goes through.
It will probably fall out when you remove the old pads, a good tip of to put a small dab of grease on the back of it then fit it to the caliper; this will help it stay in position while you fit the new pads.
Like James I've always used EBC HH sintered, never had any problems.

BallisticBrian
Godly
Godly

Post by BallisticBrian on Sun 03 Jul 2016, 1:13 pm

I'll go for the sintered - it says they last 50,000km.

Does the "pad spring" also drop out or stay in situ?

cheers
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 03 Jul 2016, 2:05 pm

The pad spring stays in situ, when you drop the pads out you'll notices a dark object in the caliper. It doesn't matter if it comes out and you can just push it back into its recess, although I'd personally give the caliper a good wash out with a toothbrush and water, especially the piston.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 03 Jul 2016, 8:41 pm

when I did mine I pushed the pistons all the way back in with a G clamp it made the job a lot easier, and the only bit of a problem with mine was the front caliper pin didn't have an R clip so I had to use lock wire

BallisticBrian
Godly
Godly

Post by BallisticBrian on Sun 03 Jul 2016, 10:00 pm

It's ok if you've got a G clamp lol. I had to by the copper grease as well as the pads to do this. Last week I had to buy a socket extension with a twisty bit in it to do the wife's spark plugs and the tools mount up! Smile
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 03 Jul 2016, 10:08 pm

well you can never have too many tools they will always come in again Smile

now that my cb5 project is finished im on the lookout for another one to do up it keeps me busy in the man cave on long dark nights Very Happy
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 10:07 am

I'm not really sure that you want brake pads to last 50,000 km - what are they doing to your brake discs?!

I've been quite happy with a few different (Honda, EBC, Kyoto) brands of organic/normal brake pads on both the front and rear.

BallisticBrian
Godly
Godly

Post by BallisticBrian on Wed 06 Jul 2016, 7:55 am

I'm not really sure that you want brake pads to last 50,000 km - what are they doing to your brake discs?!
Good point, however here's an interesting thing. My rear disc has been warped from the previous owner who was leaving his foot on the brake. In the 20,000 miles I've done since it hasn't worn the warp out, which while only slight enough to pass MOTs, it does show up on the meter thing that detects the rotation speed of the wheel. (sorry you know what I mean?)
So - I wonder if ever I'll get rid of that warp. You can see that the offside pad wears first before the nearside.
Munky205
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Munky205 on Wed 06 Jul 2016, 8:52 am

I thought the only way to get rid of a warped disc was either skimming (if they are super expensive discs like on a luxury car) or just replacement. I don't think the pads eventually even out the warp as they are softer than the disc?
magicman-alex
Godly
Godly

Post by magicman-alex on Wed 06 Jul 2016, 7:35 pm

I found a couple of places online last week that straighten warped discs if you send them in. My girlfriend's rear disc seems a bit warped to me. Here's one of the places...

http://www.motoliner.com/motorcycle-brake-disc-straightening.php

I also use EBC HH sintered pads. I also fitted HEL braided hoses which made the world of difference. Braking felt really solid.

I hadn't had my bike for very long when I changed out the spring pad. It took me a while to work out how it goes back in. If you look very carefully it has a direction-of-rotation arrow it.
magicman-alex
Godly
Godly

Post by magicman-alex on Wed 06 Jul 2016, 7:42 pm

Here's another place that does it:

http://www.stmotorcycles.co.uk/index.php?p=1_15
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 on Wed 06 Jul 2016, 9:00 pm

These are the mutt's nuts when it comes to pushing pistons back -

One handed clamps

One tip though, makes sure the pistons are clean before pushing them back, as muck and corrosion can damage the seals.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 06 Jul 2016, 9:37 pm

These are better & cheaper too.

However you choose to spread the pistons, make sure you remove the m/c cap first to give less pressure on the fluid. If the brakes have been bled with part worn pads you might also get some overflow.

BallisticBrian
Godly
Godly

Post by BallisticBrian on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 8:03 am

The Haynes manual says to use the old pad as a lever. I'm hoping extra tools aren't essential as I haven't got anything like that.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 07 Jul 2016, 2:12 pm

Yeah if you put the old pads back in after cleaning the crud off the pistons you can lever them back with a large screwdriver or similar wedged in between. It's just easier with a spreader.

BallisticBrian
Godly
Godly

Post by BallisticBrian on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 2:57 pm

I wonder if I can get some urgent help?

I took the pads out easy enough. Levered the piston (there is only the one on the right hand side), but the new pad on the left hand side wont go in. I managed to hammer it all the way in but the wheel was then seized with the brake on?

This then led me to think that there must be some "give" in the springs that hold in the inside pad assembly, but by using my hand and some force I can see that only the lower of the springs moved and the top most one doesn't appear to move.

At the moment it looks like I can only get the bike up and running by putting the old pad in on the left side?

Any idea? cheers!
magicman-alex
Godly
Godly

Post by magicman-alex on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 3:06 pm

I assume you don't mean you literally hammered the pad in? I've never had to use force to fit pads.

BallisticBrian
Godly
Godly

Post by BallisticBrian on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 3:10 pm

Yes, don't worry I didn't damage the pad. I pulled the caliper with all my might to get one end in and tapped it gently with a hammer and screwdriver on the metal edge.

It's not a case of having to open the brake cylinder under the seat is it?
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 3:36 pm

Sounds like the caliper slider pins are siezed up.

BallisticBrian
Godly
Godly

Post by BallisticBrian on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 3:55 pm

Yes, I can confirm no movement in what I think is the upper-most slider pin thingy!?

There seems to be no bolt on the end of the slider pin in order to remove it. I managed to get some WD40 under the rubber, no effect.

I've got the old pad on the left side and a new pad on the right side, but you can see the pad on the left is no longer touching the disk so braking power is greatly diminished, while I work out what to do.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 6:52 pm

where would I get some piston caps from for my brembos ?
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 7:01 pm

Piston caps ?
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 7:03 pm

yea sorry I got it wrong Embarassed