Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Slinky Glide Emergency Cable Repair Kit

jerryfudd

Awesome!

Slinky Glide Emergency Cable Repair Kit

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 1:39 pm

Hi,

I've seen some people with snapped cables and this seemed a good idea....

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cb_500_y_2/00-02/picture/emergency_cable_repair_kit_-_slinky_glide/

Just over £5 presumably plus p&p.

Dan
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: Slinky Glide Emergency Cable Repair Kit

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 2:04 pm

I bought one on Ebay about a month ago as I haven't replaced my spare clutch cable yet, seems a very good bit of kit, although the proof will come in the fitting.
arrison
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by arrison on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 2:05 pm

Thats what the AA used as a temporary fix when my clutch cable snapped. Replaced with a proper one ASAP, but still have the emergency one under my seat just in case
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 3:35 pm

I carry a spare cable, some flex and insulation tape. You can change a cable in about 15 minutes.
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 9:50 pm

@jerryfudd wrote:Hi,

I've seen some people with snapped cables and this seemed a good idea....

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cb_500_y_2/00-02/picture/emergency_cable_repair_kit_-_slinky_glide/

Just over £5 presumably plus p&p.

Dan
Works out as £8.40. I just bought this :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141434735847?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 4:08 pm

Really I can't see the point in an emergency cable for the cb500. On an unfaired bike it's a doddle to fit an new cable and not much harder on a faired bike. You could do it in the same time you spend fiddling around with an emergency one.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 7:14 pm

think it's in the name, it's easier to carry one multipurpose cable kit instead of a replacement for every cable on the bike if you happen to have a problem when out on the road...
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 9:04 pm

Wish I'd had mine with me when my throttle cable went.  At the same time I'm kinda glad I didn't as it would've been a nasty job using just the under seat tool kit.
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 9:24 pm

Would the generic kit work for a throttle cable that's most likely to break at the throttle nipple?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 9:36 pm

On mine the actual cable broke about 6-8" from the carbs.  So long as the kit has nipples of the right size it should work.
Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 10:54 pm

@Stooby2 wrote:Really I can't see the point in an emergency cable for the cb500. On an unfaired bike it's a doddle to fit an new cable and not much harder on a faired bike. You could do it in the same time you spend fiddling around with an emergency one.
My cables aren't standard ones. I had to buy throttles cables off a Deauville I think it was, and I had the clutch and choke cables made, so not cheap to buy a set of each. All because I changed the height/rake and size of the bars. Feels more comfortable for me to ride now though, so worth it.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 9:38 am

Having been stranded by a broken throttle cable, I can only suggest that a cable repair kit (given its small size) is a good thing to have, even if it only gives you another option to getting recovered (which won't always be possible).

On a similarly practical note: if you are concerned about your throttle cable snapping then it is worth having a look under the tank - when I was replacing mine I noticed that the *outside* of my throttle cable was heaviy corroded which had then obviously caused it to leak and the inside then went too - had I replaced/noticed this earlier I could have avoided the whole problem.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 8:18 pm