Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Sore bum, replace foam? Airhawk?

cushdrive

Sore bum, replace foam? Airhawk?

Post by cushdrive on Mon 27 Jun 2016, 12:58 pm

I get a sore bum after just one hour of riding.

My bike has done 50,000 so I was thinking that the foam could do with replacing as firmer is better.  Has anyone done this?

I was also thinking of trying an air seat such as Airhawk or one from Dan Medica South.

The Dual sport airhawks are expensive, but are close to the CB500 seat size.  The medium size is cheaper, but will hang off the side of the seat.

Appreciate any advice.
Jameshambleton

Re: Sore bum, replace foam? Airhawk?

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 27 Jun 2016, 1:13 pm

I believe this is what mine is on my cb, it was fitted before I got it. It's great, though my only complaint is that the piping can rub the underneath of the rear cowl in places and water can get in through the stitching but my bike lives outside with no cover, the rest of the panels on it are waterproof and have a nice texture to them. 

ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Mon 27 Jun 2016, 1:54 pm

I haven't tried it myself but lightly sanding the very top layer of foam (where it was in contact with the mould) under the seat cover is supposed to make it more comfortable.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Mon 27 Jun 2016, 4:36 pm

liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 27 Jun 2016, 9:07 pm

I do get that as well. I was tempted to redo mine with an old memory foam mattress cut up and put in place of the original foam at the front. I gave in to cost and convenience when I found I could get old torn seat recovered locally for £30. 

Some creative people cut a square out of the original foam at the front and replace it with cheap gel pads from ebay. Not a massive undertaking but more than some people can be bothered with.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 28 Jun 2016, 8:17 am

If you are looking for a cheap/adjustable option you could try this:

1. Buy a cheap camping mat

1a. Buy a staple gun - buy a decent one that will do (say)

2. Buy some motorcycle seat covering material from ebay (around a tenner if you don't mind cutting it to shape yourself - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COLOURED-MOTORCYCLE-SEAT-COVER-MOTORBIKE-MATERIAL-KIT-VINYL-FABRIC-BIKE-XL-L-M-S-/380180488600?var=&hash=item588485e198:m:mlx_DDiDi4W4meYPvmxwb-w)

3. Buy some foam adhesive (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultratape-0590SPRAY500-Spray-Adhesive-500ml/dp/B004JIYD16 or similar)

4. Take the seat cover off (screwdriver off the staples underneath).

5. Cut the camping mat to fit over the existing seat foam and tape it on temporarily with gaffer tape or similar.

6. Take the bike for ride, long enough to assess the comfort and suitability of the seat.

6a. If it isn't comfortable try and find some other kind of foam and go back to step 5.

7. If you are happy then staple on the new cover (if you google 'diy motorcycle seat recovering' you'll find plenty of things to help you).

Essentially by doing it yourself you get the option to 'try before you buy' - have a look here (http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php) for more/better information.

As other people have mentioned there are various types of gel pads etc that you can build into the seat which might or might not help. It could just be that the foam on your seat is knackered, in which case another layer might sort it out easily.
cushdrive

Post by cushdrive on Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:33 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I decided to purchase an air cushion in the end.

I will post my thoughts once I have used it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 19 Oct 2017, 6:10 am