Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Fork seals/bits needed for fork re-build

ceejay
the 800
the 800

Fork seals/bits needed for fork re-build

Post by ceejay on Thu 09 Jun 2016, 5:19 pm

Next job on my list is fork re-build. They don't feel good - no or very little damping as if no oil in there!! I would suspect this job has not been done for a while if ever. So with this in mind can anyone with experience recommend what seals/washers/bushings/bits I'm likely to need to replace once I pulled them apart? I'm guessing oil and dust seals are a given and I'll be measuring the springs. Does anyone know if any of this aftermarket seal kits are any good quality wise or am I better of sticking with Honda official?
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: Fork seals/bits needed for fork re-build

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 10 Jun 2016, 2:14 am

I've always used Honda originals for the price of them.
In addition to seals check the condition of the top and bottom bushes, the teflon coating wears off these over time.
Good info here.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Fri 10 Jun 2016, 12:25 pm

Personally I only use the slightly more expensive but harder to get eXtreme seals.
They also go by the name of NOS if you can find them under that.

I originally only chose them because while slightly more expensive than OEM they had a great number of reiew accross the web sayoing that they are somewhat better quality than even OEM and when you're holding them in your hand it really does show.

If you are going to replace the bushes be careful as i destroyed one on the top left fork even while being very careful and had to reuse the old one I had on the CB.

The seals and bushes in the GN250 are eXtreme and have 7000 miles on them now and still look brand new.
I had some minor lips of pokey up metal on the stanchions of both bikes but 30 minutes or less per bike while chipping away flatly with a double edged razor blade to level them out solved those.
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Fri 10 Jun 2016, 1:58 pm

Thanks for the replies - that other thread is great, I missed that one, answers all of my questions.

I'll have a look at the eXtreme seals and see if I can get hold of some but if not sounds like Honda is the way to go.

Will post back once I've had a go  Very Happy
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 11:15 am

It was all going smoothly... too smoothly... !

Did one fork. When it came to replacing the oil seal I struggled to get it to go below the groove inside the lowers for the oil seal retaining clip. Eventually got it down far enough but thought it was a bit tight. 

Did the second fork and made sure I really knocked in the upper bushing properly then the oil seal went in below the groove for the retaining clip with ease and noticeably further than on the first leg.

This then got me worrying about the first leg... maybe the upper bushing wasn't in all the way and that's why I couldn't get the oil seal in as far? I reluctantly realised I'd have to dismantle the first fork again, annoying but it was pretty easy the first time anyway... but not this time because I can't get the damper rod bolt I'd tightened just yesterday undone! The damper rod just turns inside the leg. I've tried reinstalling the spring, spacer etc and compressing fully and also the broom handle trick but without success... any ideas?!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 11:43 am

Is there a hexagonal hole on top of the damper rod where you can insert a really long allen key or similar to stop it turning? Some bikes have such things but I don't know about the cb5...
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 9:11 pm

I know what you mean, I think it was like that on a Yamaha I had once, but not on the CB500 it seems...
Alvi
Running out of unique names

Post by Alvi on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 9:39 pm

I had a similar problem with the damper turning on a Honda Rebel a couple of years ago. Not having a broom handle, I used a length of threaded steel stud that was handy. I seem to remember I had to press down really hard to lock the damper, but it did the job. Might be worth trying a different material/diameter to the broom handle, see it it grips better.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 11:05 pm

Impact gun best for the job if you have air tools but standard mechanical one will do the trick you just hit it with a hammer.

Doing mine I tackled it as if it was already turning inside the leg and didn't take it easy.

Stick the allen in and hit it full power with the hammer if you break the allen oh well they're cheap enough at least the bolt is free. Sometimes its the broom handle trick but honestly if it comes to that and you're working alone face it you've lost time to ask for help beacause without an impact it's game over you need someone to hold the broomhandle for you no 2 ways about it.
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 11:25 pm

Managed to get it free just a couple hours ago... found a tool in my dad's garage (I just googled it and seems it's called a 'sash clamp'). With it I could clamp a cut down broom handle into the fork and apply enough pressure to get the bolt loose (think giant g-clamp with entire fork and broom handle clamped inside).

On the plus side turns out I couldn't have had that bush knocked down enough because oil seal went in all the way easily this time, so it was worth it in the end!

Cheers for the tips though, will put the front end back together tomorrow night now the forks are finally done  Very Happy

Alvi

Post by Alvi on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 9:30 pm

Great stuff - and that looks a handy tool!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 8:53 am

@ceejay wrote:Managed to get it free just a couple hours ago... found a tool in my dad's garage (I just googled it and seems it's called a 'sash clamp'). With it I could clamp a cut down broom handle into the fork and apply enough pressure to get the bolt loose (think giant g-clamp with entire fork and broom handle clamped inside).

On the plus side turns out I couldn't have had that bush knocked down enough because oil seal went in all the way easily this time, so it was worth it in the end!

Cheers for the tips though, will put the front end back together tomorrow night now the forks are finally done  :D

Yeah, that's a sash clamp - often useful for non-woodworking purposes!

When I last had this problem (not on the CB500) I had to press really hard on the metal rod I was using to stop the damper turning. It was a pain the arse.

Glad to hear you got it apart.
shropshirewildman
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by shropshirewildman on Wed 22 Jun 2016, 8:34 pm

I did mine last year, the problem I had was the bushes were so worn that the bottom bush jammed inside the top bush and locked solid. After some (not so) gentle persuasion with a lump hammer I got them apart, then lots of cleaning of the seal seats. rebuilt them with progressive springs etc. It took a bit of getting used to the new ride, it felt like much less rebound damping (maybe lighter oil?) but a whole lot better than before.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 23 Jun 2016, 9:18 am

@shropshirewildman wrote:I did mine last year, the problem I had was the bushes were so worn that the bottom bush jammed inside the top bush and locked solid. After some (not so) gentle persuasion with a lump hammer I got them apart, then lots of cleaning of the seal seats. rebuilt them with progressive springs etc. It took a bit of getting used to the new ride, it felt like much less rebound damping (maybe lighter oil?) but a whole lot better than before.

Did you put in Hagon springs? Did they specify a different grade of fork oil? (part of me half remembers they might say something like 5W fork oil)

Anyway, you can't do much harm by upping the viscosity of your fork oil and seeing what happens.
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Post by ceejay on Thu 23 Jun 2016, 6:37 pm

Gave mine a good run out today for the first time since. I could not feel much difference in the garage pumping the forks but definitely an improvement for the better out on the road, less front end diving when braking and just feels smoother all around. I used a heavier oil (15W) but if I was to guess the fact that it's fresh oil is probably making the bigger difference.

Running out of jobs to do on my bike now which is a good thing, it's feeling great to ride  Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 7:30 am