Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Different Front Ends

Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Different Front Ends

Post by Anigai on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 4:35 pm

I had a mate a good few years ago who had a Honda Bros 400 but there was something special about it.

He had switched it's front end for one from an RVF400 which are a pretty rare bike even in those days.

Any idea what front ends might be a good swap for a CB500 or would a set of clip ons be a nice mod?
Jameshambleton

Re: Different Front Ends

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 5:45 pm

Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 5:49 pm

Good read that, cheers James.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 11:06 pm

I also have a cbr600f front end on my work bike.

With an nc29 rear wheel so I can run radial tyres Very Happy
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 09 Jun 2016, 8:16 am

Did these bolt straight in Andy or did they require frame alteration? Also, how is the other project coming along. I haven't seen any updates for a while
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Thu 09 Jun 2016, 9:09 am

I thought that all modern bikes used radial tyres already?

Aren't the old bias plys just for bike from the 1980s and back?
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Fri 10 Jun 2016, 1:37 pm

liverpool_f_ wrote:Did these bolt straight in Andy or did they require frame alteration? Also, how is the other project coming along. I haven't seen any updates for a while

The front end is pretty much a bolt on issue, a bit of filing on the frame lockstops so the steering lock would engage smoothly was all. I used the F2 version to keep the mechanical speedo drive, later models would mean changing the clocks as they were electric speedometers.
The clip-ons that are standard with the CBR didn't work with either my riding position for 12 hours a day, or the fairing (S model).
Shouldn't be a problem for naked models though. Although mounting the clocks and headlamp would need to be adapted as the CBR has them fairing mounted.
The NC29 rear wheel accepts the standard disc, initially I just spaced out the gearbox sprocket by 5mm with a spacer behind it.
This worked OK for about 100k, at which point whilst doing an engine overhaul I fitted a CBF500 gearbox which is identical to the original but moves the sprocket out by 5mm.
The bearings on the rear wheel take a 20mm spindle rather than the 17mm standard one. I made bushes to take up the difference which again served well for 100k. I decided to open up the swingarm slots and the chain adjuster blocks to 20mm and use a CBR600f4 spindle.
The 160 section rear tyre that I use would foul the centrestand, so that would have to be opened up or in my case removed.
I have also cut a notch in the chainguard to give a bit of extra clearance to the tyre.
For the transformation it makes to the handling of the bike it is well worth doing I reckon.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Fri 10 Jun 2016, 1:43 pm

Anigai wrote:I thought that all modern bikes used radial tyres already?

Aren't the old bias plys just for bike from the 1980s and back?

Only for performance bikes, they first appeared about 87ish. Radials use a wider wheel than older types. I can only imagine it being down to cost cutting.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Fri 10 Jun 2016, 1:46 pm

liverpool_f_ wrote: Also, how is the other project coming along. I haven't seen any updates for a while

Put one up a few days ago, just concentrating on sorting the fuelling and breathing at the moment Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 6:48 am