Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Compatible Master Cylinders

supersim65
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Compatible Master Cylinders

Post by supersim65 on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 10:18 pm

I've messed up the stuck bolts in my master cylinder beyond repair. I'm checking eBay, but there's not much available to replace the MC. Remaining OEM parts seem to be extortionate. I'd appreciate it if someone has one available for sale, but this is not a wanted ad.

There must be compatible alternative parts in production. I've heard rumours of people using perhaps a Hornet MC? I'm not that interested in the cheaply made £15 alternatives from eBay, I'm looking for good quality OEM or branded aftermarket parts. It's not worth the risk with that front brake. 

Mine is the Brembo front brake system on a '98 model. But If anyone knows an alternative for any other year or system, maybe we could start a compatibility list? Maybe I can update the original post if there's a few.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Re: Compatible Master Cylinders

Post by Tricky. on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 10:50 pm

early cbr600
supersim65
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by supersim65 on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 10:56 pm

Wicked. Few on eBay. How early? Similar era to my bike?
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 6:03 pm

i remember someone using f2/f3 but i think you'll need the correct banjo bolt.
supersim65
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by supersim65 on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 6:16 pm

Wicked. They're cheap as chips so I've got one on the way to experiment with.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 9:26 pm

it was someone on here that used one, but i cant remember who, it was a while ago.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 10:19 am

Essentially I reckon any 12 mm, 13 mm or 1/2" master cylinder will work in a similar way to the original one, as Tricky mentioned it might be more difficult because the thread on the CB500/brembo banjo bolt is different from on a lot of other bikes. This isn't such a big problem - you can buy the correct bolt for whichever master cylinder you end up with.

Another thing to think about is this: 1998 was a long time ago Smile the original rubber brake line will be past its best (I know, I have one on my 1997 bike), so while you are there you could think about replacing that with a stainless-steel braided one, unless the previous owner has done that already.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:28 pm