Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Master Cylinder Trouble

supersim65
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Master Cylinder Trouble

Post by supersim65 on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 12:06 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'm an idiot.

I got over-zealous last night and I think I've messed up the Brembo master cylinder on my nice new 1998 CB500S.

I couldn't see the level inside the window, so I thought 'hmm, I'll just pop that open and see if it's under/over-filled.' One screw came out fine, and I put is somewhere safe. The other was a bit sticky, and snapped in half en-route out of the hole. Just the head came out. 

So I grabbed the drill, had a go at drilling the second half out, and inadvertently went a bit sideways. I have unexpectedly good drill bits these days. To top it all off, I couldn't for life of me remember where the safe place I put the good screw was. So that's gone too.

So three questions I would appreciate some help with...
1. How unsafe is my newly cable-tied master cylinder cap?
2. Does anyone think I might be able to tap a wider thread into the knackered screw hole? Or am I on the hunt for a new master cylinder?
3. Does anyone have a spare Brembo front master cylinder?

P.S. It was very slightly over-filled by the way. So there really was no need for any of this to happen. Mad
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Re: Master Cylinder Trouble

Post by Anigai on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 3:01 pm

1st welcome to the forum.

To answer your questions.

1. Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much but then again I'd use a few cable ties more than your average Joe Bodger.
2. There are a couple of mm spare on the stock cylinder caps and it is only aluminium. Be very careful though but I don't think I really need to mention that.
3. I have a turkey baster somewhere you could hook up to the brake line if it's any use? Smile Smile Smile

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 4:03 pm

Hello and welcome along.

You can get replacement master cylinders on fleabay for £15 or so iirc. Tempted by one myself as the master cylinder overhaul kit is a fair bit more than this.

atb

muttley1
supersim65
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by supersim65 on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 5:22 pm

Has anyone tried those FleaBay master cylinders? £15 for a part that's £200 from Honda on my front brake sounds like a cheap way to die.

Could always use it for basting a turkey though.

I think I'll stick to cable ties, and wait around for an eBay find. Better stick a wanted ad up.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 10:00 am

Wait until a good second-hand one comes up on ebay - you can also buy an overhaul kit if you want.

It is certainly possible to fix the screw-problem, but it does required a bit of mechanical ability/stupidity and a tap and/or helicoil kit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 8:55 pm