Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Rear brake pedal adjustment

cb1300rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Rear brake pedal adjustment

Post by cb1300rider on Thu 17 Mar 2011, 7:23 pm

Hi all
Very happy owner of a 1997 cb500. Cheap as anything to run I am finding especially in comparison to my cb1300. My only niggle is the height of the rear brake pedal. So my question is can it be adjusted ? and if so, how?
Any tips / how to's would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Simon
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Rear brake pedal adjustment

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 17 Mar 2011, 8:06 pm

Hello,

The rear brake pedal height can be adjusted by fiddling with the linkage at the bottom of the master cylinder, see diagram here. As you might expect, if you make the linkage longer the pedal will rise and if you shorten it the pedal will fall.

Anyway, glad to hear you are enjoying the CB500!

EDIT: If you haven't already found it, look for the link to the Haynes manual - I'm sure it describes this better than I have!
cb1300rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by cb1300rider on Wed 13 Apr 2011, 1:00 pm

Hi
Had a look at the linkage and forgive my for being thick, I cant do it, cant work out how to actually get to it.
Anyone happy / willing to do and idiots guide to brake pedal adjustment on a rear disc brake model?

Thanks
vinnyg
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by vinnyg on Sun 17 Apr 2011, 11:14 am

The adjustment for the brake pedal height is on the push-bolt that comes from the master cylinder which is attached to the RH footrest hanger. Look through the 2 holes in the hanger and you should see the bolt and the retaining and adjusting nuts. You will notice that there is an unbelievable amount of crud and corrosion on the bolt and nuts. You will also see the swing arm is in the way!
A nut is inside the clevis pin at the bottom of the push bolt. This should be captive. There is a nut above the clevis pin which will need to be loosened. The adjusting nut is at the top of the pushbolt. Turn the adjuster to obtain the required pedal height and then tighten everything up.
Unfortunately there is no easy way to do this. Lack of room and corrosion make it very difficult. The easiest way I can think of doing it is to remove the hanger and work it that way. Unless someone knows better!
vinny

dado_dassler
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by dado_dassler on Mon 03 Nov 2014, 11:47 am

i got a question about the same thing.
if pedal height is adjusted by #11 on
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=13MY5WEA&block_02=F__1101&block_03=1655
where do you adjust freeplay which should be about 20-30mm?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 22 Sep 2017, 5:18 am