Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

natural spring

Jameshambleton

natural spring

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:07 pm

I know there are may different people who work in different trades so I thought that I might as well ask here. 

I believe I have a small natural spring in the garden that is about 3ftx2ft wide. I've dug holes in a rectangle shape around the area and 3 have filled with water were as the others are completely dry and they have been dug deeper.

The soil around the area is completely wet and heavy (to the surface) and the water that comes up out the ground seems to be clear and is within an isolated area. I don't believe it's the water table as it's about 20cm down from the surface and I'm on top of a slight hill. This has been going on for about a 1 year (as long as I've lived here).Most of the soil lowerdown is thick clay. The ground is stagnant.

I'm looking for suggestions as I'm having a concrete base placed down soon and it has to go on top of this area and I'm worried about it cracking or not setting correctly.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: natural spring

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 9:00 am

Sounds like a spring to me!

Just to check, have you ruled out the possibility of a water leak? Are there any pipes nearby?

I think it's probably easier to fix a broken pipe than a spring.

I can see your concern about putting concrete over the top of this. I don't have any experience in this area, but you are doing the right thing trying to talk to someone that does.

It sounds a bit like you need some kind of land-drainage system (french drains)... which isn't cheap, but, if it is a spring, it might be the only way.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 2:10 pm

Sounds like a spring to me too. Best get in touch with the council, they'll point you in the direction of the dept/person who looks after natural drainage. Could be an old well... I definitely wouldn't be doing building work near it.

Might upset your buildings insurance too.

muttley1
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 2:18 pm

Get it tested for purity. If you're lucky you may never need to pay a water bill again.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 2:49 pm

After posting this, the level had dropped about 50mm on each hole. I have since dug down further and there is no trace of the water at all which seems very strange
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 3:52 pm

I think you're in need of an elderly native american james to do some dousing for you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 17 Oct 2017, 6:45 am