Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Frame Compatibility

Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Frame Compatibility

Post by Anigai on Fri 27 May 2016, 12:57 pm

As you are probably all aware I've still got my written off CB500 as it hasn't sold.

So I'm considering just biting the bullet and getting the new frame to switch over.

Jamesshamblton pointed out this little gem to me:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/HONDA-CB500-MAIN-FRAME-CHASSIS-LOG-BOOK-V5-CB-500-95-/281770973580?hash=item419adbd98c:g:ND8AAOSwT6pVyhRi#viTabs_0

As far as I know the drum brake was dropped from the lineup in 1997 when everything went to good old slightly lower quality Italy.

My write off is a 2000 CB500 but this is a 1995 frame, are they compatible with each other?

I'm worried about something silly ruining my day like a slightly different swingarm conection point or even a slightly different headrace.
Jameshambleton

Re: Frame Compatibility

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 27 May 2016, 9:27 pm

The only thing I'd check out is the part numbers on lings ect for anything that you've got doubt about, if there is any difference look into it a bit more.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Fri 27 May 2016, 11:33 pm

frames are the same, different front engine mount configuration but all engines will fit in ok. disc/drum swing arms are interchangeable, as are the S and unfaired model yokes/triple clamps.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Sat 28 May 2016, 9:19 am

@Tricky. wrote:frames are the same, different front engine mount configuration but all engines will fit in ok. disc/drum swing arms are interchangeable, as are the S and unfaired model yokes/triple clamps.

Oh well that's good enough for me, now my 2nd worry is will the insurance companies see a rear disc on the back of a drum brake model as a modification and increase my premium as somebody mentioned that might be the case to me.
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Sat 28 May 2016, 10:00 am

@Anigai wrote:

@Tricky. wrote:frames are the same, different front engine mount configuration but all engines will fit in ok. disc/drum swing arms are interchangeable, as are the S and unfaired model yokes/triple clamps.

Oh well that's good enough for me, now my 2nd worry is will the insurance companies see a rear disc on the back of a drum brake model as a modification and increase my premium as somebody mentioned that might be the case to me.

As long as you declare the mods it shouldn't be a problem.
I expected having a CBR600 front end and NC29 rear wheel to give them an excuse to rip me off, especially as a courier.
It was a pleasant suprise to find that as it wasn't changes to the actual frame or performance it cost no extra.

The yokes from the 'S' are not interchangeable as they don't have the mounting points for the clocks or headlamp brackets.
The 'S' frame has a fairing mounting plate welded to the front of the headstock too, this doesn't work well with the wiring going into a headlamp and rubbing on it. Although it can be cut off.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Sat 28 May 2016, 6:49 pm

All good info.

Cheers guys.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 01 Jun 2016, 7:10 pm

Best of luck with this Anigai, you'll have to keep us informed of your progress!

Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 3:09 pm

Will do, how about right now?

I actually bought a 1995 frame from Cork and had it shipped next day delivery for only €10 which was a surprise, I wanted to get cracking as sson as I could.

Some gowl stripped the nut on the side stand which suits me because i got that for free since it was too hard to bother taking off to sell seprately.

As sson as i got it as 10am yesterday morning i set to work with the grinder, drill and dremel all with wire wheels of different types and whacked off all the little spots of rust i could find and a few big ones to be ready for painting.

When's the next time I'm going to have a completely bare frame in front of me?
May as well paint it so.

Honestly just picked up some automotive black whatever decent looking branded paint I came across alongside a can of VHT silver for the engine when it's out of the other frame.

Again whens the next time I'm going to have a completely bare engine in front of me?
May as well paint that too.

I spent most of yesterday from 10am prepping for painting and less than about 2 hours doing the deed. No primer used as nothing beats original paint as a primer not counting powdercoat which is the best primer I've ever seen. Just some elbow grease and enough wire wool to scuff up whats there to help the paint adhere and you're good after the final cleaning.

Finished off the frame painting last night when it was getting dark, for the swingarm I'll be leaving it because it's a doddle to take out compared to just dong the frame and opted for an extra coat of paint on the frame and I'll do the swingarm when it's bushes need doing.

In total I managed 5 moderately thick coats on frame frame which honestly look good for the most part if you excuse any small dips where the rust got to before.

Tomorrow I'll be starting early and rebuilding the whole thing with a little help from a mate of mine not to mention engine painting and soaking everything in ACF 50 while it all goes back onto the new frame.

I'll keep you guys updated.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 3:42 pm

Make a new thread and take loads of pics!!!  cheers
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 4:54 pm

I imght take a few, then again i think i already have a project thread for this bike somewhere...
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 9:44 am

Excellent to hear that you've made good start!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:30 pm