Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

CBF500 - Your Opinion

Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

CBF500 - Your Opinion

Post by Anigai on Wed 25 May 2016, 6:06 pm

Lately i'm considering that if a decent CBF500 popped up for a reasonable price thne i might have another new bike to add to the I want that one list.

I've seen a couple of posts where somebody described it as a CB500 with the best bits taken away and the rest just kind of molded back together.

I'd love a late 2008 model in silver before they bit the bullet but then again i really have an eye for a CB400 mostly at the moment.
The rear end of a CBF just looks so much tidier than the CB IMHO.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: CBF500 - Your Opinion

Post by sullivj on Wed 25 May 2016, 6:33 pm

The frame is a bit longer I think, the engine is the same I think, they have ABS I think! 

They seem like good value, not unlike the CB. I've not ridden one though. It seems more like the CBF600 that I own, which is a bit less 'involving' than the mighty CB.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 25 May 2016, 6:43 pm

If it's like the CBF600, I think they're a bit underrated. I wish they were lighter though - that's my only real complaint with the CBF. Otherwise, I quite like its smoothness, its comfort and feeling of dependability. I do think though that the hornet's a more enticing prospect. I'm not mad on overly revy bikes, but then again, I can definitely see the attraction of being able to anticipate a situation (a decent bit of road, an overtake, etc. etc.), knock it down one, get to the situation, knock it down another, and have the bike spring energetically into life with a bit of throttle.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 25 May 2016, 6:45 pm

Trevor, is your CBF carbed or fuel injected? Mine is injected, and I wouldn't describe it as smooth.. It's quite lean and jerky, whereas the carbed older version was MUCH. Smoother.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Wed 25 May 2016, 7:05 pm

I've spent a fair few hours on both kinds - I did much prefer the carb'd one. But I can't remember if that was for reasons of fuelling. Probably was though. In fairness though, the later EFI bike was not a very good bike all round, for various reasons. I think it had been lowered for one thing - and always felt crampy to me, in the hips area. Very unpleasant when that starts to kick in - and you almost feel like you're going to have to stop. Normally though outstretching your leg does the trick.

I would, in general, prefer a carburettored bike of any kind though. This is mainly because I like mechanical parts rather than electrical ones. Also because it's often seemed to me that carbs make for smoother, more "intuitive" feeling throttle responses. Having said that, my mate's W800 was exceptionally smooth throughout the range. Almost *too* smooth in some respects.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Wed 25 May 2016, 8:26 pm

Well i suppose with carbs you can be more directly in control of your bikes fueling whereas getting the same out of an Efi bike costs a good deal more than about €10 or €15 worth of jets.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 26 May 2016, 8:28 am

Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Thu 26 May 2016, 9:04 am

badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 2:31 am

The CBF500 is a fatter, heavier, slower and less practical version of the CB500. The CBFs mono shock dictated that the CBs immense under seat storage space had to go.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 6:05 am

@badseeds wrote:The CBF500 is a fatter, heavier, slower and less practical version of the CB500. The CBFs mono shock dictated that the CBs immense under seat storage space had to go.

+1 Smile

Dan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 16 Dec 2017, 4:58 pm