Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Scraping footpeg

Pugzilla
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Scraping footpeg

Post by Pugzilla on Tue 24 May 2016, 2:21 pm

Scraped a footpeg for the first time today.

I've got BT45's.

Is it safe to be scraping footpegs on public roads or would I be pushing it too much?
Jameshambleton

Re: Scraping footpeg

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 24 May 2016, 2:41 pm

How every loonatic of you, shame on you!!!
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 26 May 2016, 7:24 am

Ask @badseeds. he does it all the time Smile
From him I've got the trick to replace OE hero knobs with titanium bolts - they create a nice shower of sparks when ground into the blacktop...

Safety? Provided your bike is properly set up (no loose headstock- or swingarm-bearings, no shabby wheel bearings, no wobbly, worn-down fork sliders and no worn-down, 15-years-old tires) I'd say it's reasonably safe if the road is dry and even. Just remember that anything connected with bikes is risky. Even if you only fiddle with your bike in the driveway, there's hazards lurking.

I find roundabouts to be a great practicing area - the only drawback is that you end up being dizzy if you go too many rounds in a row. But you can get a feel for the asphalt, lean ever harder and there's lots of exits should you suddenly need one.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 26 May 2016, 8:27 am

I'm too scared I might drop the bike - the only pegs I've scraped are on my w650 (which is of course quite low anyway - but which, incidentally, is a great handling bike, helped somewhat, I think, by the larger front wheel which gives the sense of stability and accuracy that smaller front wheeled bikes often seem to lack a little of), and my CB125 - which I think actually might have been the main stand rather than the peg. It has a lazy spring. Also, both pegs have been scraped a fair bit already so it was difficult to know if I'd done any fresh damage. At any rate and in both cases, it's a bit unnerving and I always think shit gone too far over.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 26 May 2016, 6:38 pm

Here's how to scrape a footpeg !
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/728927220526419968/pu/vid/640x360/yelssSA8Elf4E3jL.mp4
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Thu 26 May 2016, 6:44 pm

On two track days at Oulton Park I scraped both footbeg-blobs off and touched the exhaust down slightly  Laughing

But on the road I tend not to push it that far because of The Unknown, although have done maybe twice on roundabouts before.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Sun 05 Jun 2016, 10:30 pm

Try as I do, I can't bring myself to get enough lean angle. I have about 3-4mm worth of strips on the rear tyre but I don't know how far away that makes me. Any suggestion? I usually have a 42 litre top box on the back which is not idea for handling. Maybe getting rid of that would be what makes the difference.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sun 05 Jun 2016, 11:24 pm

@liverpool_f_ wrote:Try as I do, I can't bring myself to get enough lean angle. I have about 3-4mm worth of strips on the rear tyre but I don't know how far away that makes me. Any suggestion? I usually have a 42 litre top box on the back which is not idea for handling. Maybe getting rid of that would be what makes the difference.

FFS I lost 4 paragraphs of detailed text so I'll write this briefly.

You have a long way to go yet. I got to the edge of my tyre and the peg still didn't hit the road. 

I ride with a givi e52 topbox, if you normally use the topbox then keep it fitted as you'll get use to the feeling better. 

You want 1st, 2nd or 3rd at least 6k rpm while cornering, you need to go in too fast and let the rest happen but you'll need the revs to power out of it. 

Roundabouts don't do it for me, I find I'm faster and more relaxed with my 1 piece suit than my textiles even though the textiles have better/more armour in them.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 9:17 am

anytime I get a lot of lean on the bike it feels like the back end is moving around a lot. I thought it was the tyre on the edge of traction but maybe I have a slight mechanical issue. That was what was preventing me from pushing it further.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 11:04 am

I use tec rear shocks over the standard showa and it's a lot better with the tec shocks, it doesn't bounce around.
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 11:42 am

I've only scraped footpegs on the GN250 a couple of times but my front tyre on that isn't the best and when you have a good bit of lean going on it feels like a woman shouting threats at you from across a room and you aren't certain if she'll follow up on them or not.

Once my CB is up a running i'll be doing it a lot more regularly.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 12:10 pm

I have switched to tec shocks as the showas on mine were 65k miles old. Definitely an improvement but it still feels like there is movement back there. Perhaps the swingarm bearing has had its day
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 2:56 pm

And or the bushes too.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 6:02 pm

I just switched from Hondas suggested tyre pressure to Bridgestones higher suggested tyre pressure and instantly got rid of my strips on my favourite roundabout. Don't know if it was that or the nice warm tarmac but it made a big difference. Maybe its worth switching for others who are looking to get a bit more cornering performance
Anigai
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by Anigai on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 12:09 pm

I'll be running my BT45's at the same as well. They're very sticky tyres to begin with for a road tyre that is.
TheWizardofOdds
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Fri 10 Jun 2016, 3:21 pm

@liverpool_f_ wrote:I just switched from Hondas suggested tyre pressure to Bridgestones higher suggested tyre pressure and instantly got rid of my strips on my favourite roundabout. Don't know if it was that or the nice warm tarmac but it made a big difference. Maybe its worth switching for others who are looking to get a bit more cornering performance

I have my front tyre at 29 psi and the rear 33. I have Bridgestones too, what do they recommend for a solo rider?
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Sat 11 Jun 2016, 6:27 pm

33 and 40
TheWizardofOdds
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Mon 13 Jun 2016, 9:05 pm

@Basil Moss wrote:33 and 40

Thanks, that's a fair increase on the honda recommended psi.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 9:40 am

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:
@Basil Moss wrote:33 and 40

Thanks, that's a fair increase on the honda recommended psi.

Yes, they are quite different. Remember this only applies to BT45s - you can quite safely (if you are careful) try higher pressures with other brands/types of tyre but you may not see any improvement over the standard ones.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 29 Jun 2017, 5:12 pm