Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

the cheek of it - MCN on the NTV650

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

the cheek of it - MCN on the NTV650

Post by trevor machine on Thu 19 May 2016, 6:18 pm

I was just reading the Motorcycle News review of the Honda NT650 and it said "The closest thing to them is a Honda CB500, but the Honda NTV650 is actually the better motorcycle."

So I wondered if it was - or at least, how the bikes' specs compared. Power-wise the CB has one or two more hosses - but the real difference is in the comparative weight. The CB is iirc 179kg against the NTV's 188kg - and I think that has to count for something.

Of course, a lot of it's in the riding. And I've never had a go of an NTV so can't comment. However, my mate had one back in the early-mid '90s and didn't keep it very long - iirc he felt it was too top heavy or something. He will only ride twins so I was a bit surprised when he said he didn't get on with it.

So I was curious and wondered if any CB500 owners on this board had also owned the NTV and how it compared. Apparently there is a Bros too, which is a chain driven variant. Of course also the "Dullsville" - etc. etc. Those count here.
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Re: the cheek of it - MCN on the NTV650

Post by jim157 on Thu 19 May 2016, 7:14 pm

The Bros/Hawk is a better bike than the Revere in terms of tuning potential.  The revere has the shaft drive which makes (made) it ideal for couriers but also added some weight/dulled performance.

The chain driven variant is pretty popular in the states and there are some really trick examples using big bore top ends from Africa Twins and uprated suspension/brakes.  I think the V Twin coupled with the lovely build quality (alloy frame and single sided swinging arm) also helps to make it feel a bit more 'exotic' than the CB.

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 19 May 2016, 7:41 pm

Good point on the frame Jim - I suppose that will make for less flex and give than the CB's steel bolt-together type.
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 19 May 2016, 7:50 pm

Ive never ridden bros or ntv, think people who make those statements about cb have never ridden one, thats a well modified bros in that pic as it has different wheels and forks, that bros looks well, there was not that many bros 650's  in lreland, it was mainly the 400 version and i doubt it beats the cb , other than  quality, now as i said i dont know about 650, ive only seen a few ntv 650s here... but stil seening cb's here and there but with age and abuse.... its not regular
jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Thu 19 May 2016, 9:17 pm

The 400 is pretty slow, even for a 400.  I think they're only around 30bhp?
I'd quite like a sorted 650 hawk, they're a bit old school Ducati-esque without the reliability issues.

Dont get me wrong the CB is a great bike which far exceeds it's sums of parts in terms of reliability and performance.  The main issue for me is the build quality, having owned several Hondas from the late 80s/early 90s the CB was a bit of a disappointment for me...
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 19 May 2016, 9:24 pm

@trevor machine wrote:I was just reading the Motorcycle News review of the Honda NT650 and it said "The closest thing to them is a Honda CB500, but the Honda NTV650 is actually the better motorcycle."

So I wondered if it was - or at least, how the bikes' specs compared. Power-wise the CB has one or two more hosses - but the real difference is in the comparative weight. The CB is iirc 179kg against the NTV's 188kg - and I think that has to count for something.

Of course, a lot of it's in the riding. And I've never had a go of an NTV so can't comment. However, my mate had one back in the early-mid '90s and didn't keep it very long - iirc he felt it was too top heavy or something. He will only ride twins so I was a bit surprised when he said he didn't get on with it.

So I was curious and wondered if any CB500 owners on this board had also owned the NTV and how it compared. Apparently there is a Bros too, which is a chain driven variant. Of course also the "Dullsville" - etc. etc. Those count here.
the joys of reading more crap news (mcn) I gave up with it years ago it was full of the latest plastic rockets and adverts
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Thu 19 May 2016, 10:21 pm

Skyrider your 100 percent right mcn talk through there h__e  , u want see the amount of things they get wrong on facebook there constantly getting torn apart with abuse  for posts they put up. I havent bought it for long time and i wont either
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 20 May 2016, 6:38 am

Yes it's shit for all kinds of reasons, not least because every bike it reviews is given glowing praise. Can't offend the manufacturer - might not place an advert.

Also the writers are overly reliant on painful clichés - engines are always "as sweet as a nut," and "never miss a beat". The bike also always "corners like its on rails" and "pulls like a train." FFS. Get a new lexicon you lazy tossers.

Question remains though - *is* the NTV the better bike? The power-to-weight figures don't look overly favourable - but maybe, as was said above, this is in part due to the shaft. So could the Bros variant (w/ chain drive i.e.) actually BE the better bike - superior frame, mono shock suspension, even higher mileages than the cb500. These are interesting claims and it may well be that the MCN review has something going for it. Ideally I wanted to hear from riders who'd owned both.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 20 May 2016, 9:10 am

I quite like to the look of the bro's ones it also it has slightly better mpg and normal tyre sizes so you could get some decent tyres like the pr3, pr4, s21 ect
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 20 May 2016, 6:23 pm

Hmm yeah good point on the tyres James. I had no idea about that. My only slight qualm about the Bros incarnation is - even though I do prefer chain drive - the clocks are in km per hour because it's a grey import. Or the one I saw was. I suppose there's an outside chance one might make its way over from America which would then of course be in miles per hour.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 23 May 2016, 12:07 pm

I've always wanted to have a go on a Bros or a NTV... partly because of the CB500 comparison, plus I suspect that the V twin has a rather different power delivery.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Tue 24 May 2016, 5:52 am

Yes - the tacho only goes up to 8 on the NTV iirc - similar to the XBR500. And the former probably signs off around 6.5k - just when the CB is finding its stride. So I reckon it will be quite a different ride - somewhere halfway between my 500 and my w650. Which strikes me as a strange place to be, in some ways. Kind of neither fish nor fowl, potentially.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 2:19 am

I've had a couple of NTVs, both the 600 and 650. They're great bikes, but the CB500 is a better bike.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 6:28 am