Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Oil change question

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Oil change question

Post by sullivj on Sat 21 May 2016, 6:10 am

Glad you got some enjoyment back, and it's all dry at the plug.

I love a happy ending!
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sat 21 May 2016, 3:40 pm

sullivj wrote:Glad you got some enjoyment back, and it's all dry at the plug.

I love a happy ending!

Me too!
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 22 May 2016, 8:37 am

TheWizardofOdds wrote:It seems I've escaped the ham-fisted oil change with some important lessons learned. At least, the plug is dry and there are no leaks.  

I was at a loose end this morning with an empty house and some much needed garage time with no kids around. I approached the bike expecting to see god knows what beneath the bike. Fresh oil (sort of), filter, and decided to take the cb out after doing about nine readings and starts. 

Long story short...great day, blasted about the countryside in sunshine and very pleasant temperatures and had a great time. I can't really say I noticed much difference in the bike's performance, as I think it gives far more than I deserve anyway given my lacking maintenance schedule but it was certainly no worse. Only an oil change anyway and it needs everything done. Such a bloody good bike, have I mentioned that? ☺

Next time: torque wrench? hmm...I doubt it but I still like the idea. Ordering from Honda, end of. 

Thanks for the responses and advice team.
Don't think I've ever used a torque wrench on a sump bolt.
geoffnorfolk
Godly
Godly

Post by geoffnorfolk on Sun 22 May 2016, 10:04 am

A fairly simple solution I've used before is to just fit a larger bolt. M16 is the next metric size which is a bit too big to fit without redrilling. I'd go for one of the non-metric sizes that works out about 1mm bigger than the existing M14 existing bolt. I'd then just buy the larger tap (Simbles of Watford stock loads or Ebay) and recut the thread for the new bolt...... no drilling will be needed. I'd completely strip the existing M14 thread out before doing this to make things easier. On a rough calculation, I'd say a 5/8" tap or 11/16" though I might be miscalculating this.... you can always try the smaller one first..... if it's not really tight then go for the next one up.
Personally, I never use a torque wrench, other than cylinder head bolts, as there's just no "feel" and you're completely at the mercy of the thing "clicking".  I've also never replaced the sump washer in many years of motorcycling.... never had a problem yet touch wood!
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 22 May 2016, 7:31 pm

yes and with all the bikes I have had I have never changed the washer either and no leaks
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Mon 23 May 2016, 12:43 am

ashcroc wrote:

TheWizardofOdds wrote:It seems I've escaped the ham-fisted oil change with some important lessons learned. At least, the plug is dry and there are no leaks.  

I was at a loose end this morning with an empty house and some much needed garage time with no kids around. I approached the bike expecting to see god knows what beneath the bike. Fresh oil (sort of), filter, and decided to take the cb out after doing about nine readings and starts. 

Long story short...great day, blasted about the countryside in sunshine and very pleasant temperatures and had a great time. I can't really say I noticed much difference in the bike's performance, as I think it gives far more than I deserve anyway given my lacking maintenance schedule but it was certainly no worse. Only an oil change anyway and it needs everything done. Such a bloody good bike, have I mentioned that? ☺

Next time: torque wrench? hmm...I doubt it but I still like the idea. Ordering from Honda, end of. 

Thanks for the responses and advice team.

Don't think I've ever used a torque wrench on a sump bolt.
It was really supposed to be an exercise in using a torque wrench for practice rather than real necessity . Still, it is a fairly important bolt no less. Just don't tighten the hell out of it. With a torque wrench.  Rolling Eyes
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Mon 23 May 2016, 12:48 am

geoffnorfolk wrote:A fairly simple solution I've used before is to just fit a larger bolt. M16 is the next metric size which is a bit too big to fit without redrilling. I'd go for one of the non-metric sizes that works out about 1mm bigger than the existing M14 existing bolt. I'd then just buy the larger tap (Simbles of Watford stock loads or Ebay) and recut the thread for the new bolt...... no drilling will be needed. I'd completely strip the existing M14 thread out before doing this to make things easier. On a rough calculation, I'd say a 5/8" tap or 11/16" though I might be miscalculating this.... you can always try the smaller one first..... if it's not really tight then go for the next one up.
Personally, I never use a torque wrench, other than cylinder head bolts, as there's just no "feel" and you're completely at the mercy of the thing "clicking".  I've also never replaced the sump washer in many years of motorcycling.... never had a problem yet touch wood!
Luckily it appears I don't have to go down that route, Geoff. 

Even on axle bolts etc? I've had no experience of wrenching really other than car oil change/filter services but for the price of a torque wrench and considering the damage that can occur following a mishap I think it's the route I want to take. 
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Mon 23 May 2016, 12:51 am

skyrider wrote:yes and with all the bikes I have had I have never changed the washer either and no leaks

Leave the washer-buying  to me boys! I'll get through them.  Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:08 am