Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Painted VIN Number

smace78
Squiddy
Squiddy

Painted VIN Number

Post by smace78 on Wed 11 May 2016, 5:14 pm

I am in need of some adive as I have just had my bike powdercoated and found they have sandblasted + painted over the VIN number on the frame including the metal plate.

Can make out about half of the text.

This has me worried that if I get pulled by the police they might crush my bike or the MOT centre will fail my bike becasue of this.

So can I get a plate made legally or restamp the frame?

Got all of the documents like the V5 etc just partial number on the frame.
davebike500
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Re: Painted VIN Number

Post by davebike500 on Wed 11 May 2016, 6:31 pm

What happened to the VIN plate ??
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 on Wed 11 May 2016, 6:46 pm

I would try rubbing the powdercoating back over the stamped in number on the headstock to see if it comes back up. If it does you have no problems. Shot blasting shouldn't have removed it.
smace78
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by smace78 on Wed 11 May 2016, 6:59 pm

Here is some pictures of the issue.

This one is the VIN plate. I have not touched this, this is how they have done it.

This is the yoke that they have sand blasted. It is very rough. They even did the lock as well Sad
So I am assuming that this was also done to the frame so the number under the paint might not be readable.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 11 May 2016, 8:31 pm

I don't imagine many people leave the lock barrel in when they send a yoke to the powder coater!

You could drill off the vin plate, clean it up and re-rivet it. Honda even sell the rivets.

I wouldn't worry about the headstock. When was the last time you heard of a Policeman checking a frame number?
smace78
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by smace78 on Wed 11 May 2016, 8:43 pm

I was able to find the number under the paint faint but still readable.

Thanks Stooby2

Ya I left the lock barrel in as it is glued or stuck in and was in a rush. Was not sure what can go or not. Learning as I go and made that mistake thought the powder coating would of let me know lucky they did before they painted but to late as they sandblasted it.

Going to rattle can that part and some others and filler.

I made the assumption that they would let me know what can be done or not and also mask everything up but they did not so parts that should have been masked was not.
davebike500
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by davebike500 on Thu 12 May 2016, 8:13 am

OK this is a '70's cb500  not the more modern version yes ?

If so I would make y own vin plate and rivet it somewhere else this is the approved method !
Don't remove the defaced vin plate and KEEP the receipt and import documents if relevant  for the bike or the frame very carefully !!
This is a issue we see in the trade a fair bit 

For future reference always remove vin plates before letting a blaster /power coater near you frame
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 12 May 2016, 10:03 am

sullivj wrote:You could drill off the vin plate, clean it up and re-rivet it. Honda even sell the rivets.

They sure do - I even bought some Cool (along with my £9 OE Honda cable tie lol)

I drilled the rivets out and removed the VIN prior to handing it over to coat, aswell as removing the lock barrel - which was an absolute pig to get out and ultimately ended in its destruction.... thankfully I had a full NOS lock set ready to go in the unit.

Out of interest did you remove the headstock races from frame and yoke aswell as pulling all the bearings, dust covers and spacers out of the swinging arm (if you got that done too?)? it took an age to prep mine it for coating!

Even though I plugged up all the bolt holes id still recommended tapping them all out as that powder coat gets everywhere and can cause a bolt to mash up the thread.

(btw the frames embossed VIN was still visible on mine after the coating)

Dan
smace78
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by smace78 on Thu 12 May 2016, 10:44 am

I have never done any of this before and made the mistake on relying on the painter to tell me which ended up with the entire yoke bottom being paint including the part that the bearing go on and I am expecting that when I remove the paint it is going to be sandblasted like the rest which they used some metal blast grit. They have also done this to the frame neck where the bearing go. So going to remove that and hope the bearings will fit ok.

I am not to impressed with the painter so far as some bits are missing and none of the bolt holes were covered only some on the threads was.

My bike is the CB500S 2002 model and I have been rebuilding it for a few months now.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 12 May 2016, 10:52 am

mines also a 2002 and also was feeling my way through it - take a look at my thread and pm if you have any questions.

As for the painter (in my opinion) he sounds like a numpty as he should realise the importance of a VIN plate and that powder coat doesn't stick (being electrically applied) to plastic - also ignoring the fact its plastic being baked in an oven. If he wasn't prepared to remove or mask said items he should of atleast phoned to warn you.

Have you tried having it out with him and seeing if (after some hefty masking) he'll shot the bits you didn't want coated for free..... even if you did the masking?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 13 May 2016, 1:59 pm

smace78 wrote:I was able to find the number under the paint faint but still readable.

Good. The MOT man is looking for that number (the one that's etched into the frame). AFAIK the information on the metal plate is secondary (and relatively easy to fake), so as long as the one on the frame is visible you shouldn't have a problem.

Sounds like you've had a pretty rough experience. I wouldn't use that painter again ;) As mentioned powder-coat goes everywhere - there are ways of masking it (you can get special tape - polyamide tape?) which could have been used on parts you didn't want coated, but only if you knew in advance.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 13 May 2016, 2:01 pm

I believe from when I had mine done masking tape will survive the process but will need a couple of layers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 19 Oct 2017, 6:23 am