Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Snapped throttle return cable

Factoryrsvr
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Snapped throttle return cable

Post by Factoryrsvr on Fri 06 May 2016, 2:09 pm

As part of my rebuild following my off, the throttle return cable snapped, it had rusted through. I've seen a lot on replacing the throttle cable, but struggling on how you replace this cable.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Cheers
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Re: Snapped throttle return cable

Post by Celt500 on Fri 06 May 2016, 3:56 pm

Well, it's pretty much just like replacing the pull cable, only the ends hook in the other slots. What exactly is the problem?

You will need to take the screws out of the starter switch assembly on the bars and carefully pull it apart to get at the end of the throttle tube, the front cable end threads up through the bottom of the switch casing and hooks into the throttle tube and the cable outer screws into the bottom of the switch assembly. Route the cable through the frame alongside the pull cable. Then isn't there a sort of wheel thing at the carb end that the cable ends slot into and go round the outside of? To be fair, hooking the cable end in there is *very* fiddly if you don't have the carbs off the bike. But it is possible. The cable outer is secured to the bracket above, then finally adjust the tension.

That's from memory but that's basically it.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 06 May 2016, 6:40 pm

Celt500's descriptions sounds about right, just in case it's not clear, you have to take the tank off first!

I would heartily agree that it is a 'bit of a pain' to get the throttle end in to the correct place and involves waving it around trying to hook it into the wheel-thing. It may be easier if you either have an assistant to hold the throttle in the correct place or some mechanism of jamming it.
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Fri 06 May 2016, 8:00 pm

Once you've managed to fit the cables  it seems to be easy, but it is a real struggle while trying.

I used a wire hook to twist the pull cable in place and a screwdriver to push the cable end in the disc part opening.

You can fit the return cable using two screwdrivers - push the cable end against the opening in the disc from the side of the bike and then using the second screwdriver push to twist the cable from the top until it passes through the cable opening in the disc.

Not the best explanation, but  I hope it will help.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 06 May 2016, 10:00 pm

I've always ended up removing the carbs to fit it, I couldn't fiddle the cable into place with it in situ.
Gone through three of the buggers now!
Factoryrsvr
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Factoryrsvr on Mon 09 May 2016, 12:32 pm

Thank you for all your help, it doesn't sound like fun but potentially doable. Can I ask one more question, can you buy the throttle return cable separately or is it best practice to replace the main throttle cable and the return at the same time?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 09 May 2016, 12:34 pm

You can buy either cable separately. You are going to have to get the tank off anyway, so I'd have a good look at the outers of the cables - if thye are corroded and buggered (like mine were) then I would replace both cables, from personal experience you don't really want the throttle cable snapping, it's quite disconcerting and always happens at the most annoying time.
Factoryrsvr
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Factoryrsvr on Mon 09 May 2016, 1:23 pm

greatt,thank you. If I am going to this much trouble. I'll at least get both so I have one on hand if needed. Cheers
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Mon 09 May 2016, 6:09 pm

I've recently done mine after the main cable snapped & while I left the carbs in situe, I removed the sub air filter box & tube to ease access a little bit more.

The way I see it. Since both cables were most likely the same age the the non broken one was probable towards being on the way out too & it's pretty much removing the same bits to replace both. I found the return cable easier to fit though as it doesn't need routing under the carbs like the main one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 8:35 am