Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Reg/rec testing

Jameshambleton

Reg/rec testing

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 30 Apr 2016, 1:54 pm

I believe that my reg/rec has fried and I'm 80 miles from home. How can I test the reg/reg, I have a multimeter and the bike won't start because of the low voltage. 
The battery is on charge using a optimiser at the moment. 

the battery is reading  13ish volts, attempt to start and it drops to 7 and then 4. So I think the reg/reg has dumped 50v ac across my battery and fried it or at least kills a couple of cells.

Heated grips this week have been pretty weak too so this may have been a sign of something wrong.
Jameshambleton

Re: Reg/rec testing

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 30 Apr 2016, 2:18 pm

I've just tested the diodes in the reg/reg and it seems ok with similar readings across all the terminals and no shorts so, the reg/rec should be fine right?
arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by arrison on Sat 30 Apr 2016, 3:06 pm

Depends how accurate the meter is youre testing it with. Mine seemed fine using my el cheapo maplins meter, but when I tested it with my Fluke meter from work, it was actually knackered. The haynes manual has test instructions for it. Hang on and Ill take a pic and post it

EDIT: pic of the test specs from Haynes

Last edited by arrison on Sat 30 Apr 2016, 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 30 Apr 2016, 3:09 pm

Stator is shorting out I believe , am I doing the testing right?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 30 Apr 2016, 6:03 pm

Looks like you are doing the stator resistance test correctly i.e. three connections, A, B and C. Measure resistance A-B, B-C and A-C. It shouldn't matter which way round you do it (i.e. A-B is equivalent to B-A).

Sadly *it looks like* two of your stator coils are open a circuit or you've got a wiring fault... they should all be a similar low resistance (say less than an ohm, ish).  While you are there you should test the resistance between each of the three contacts and ground - it should be open circuit (infinite resistance).

Plus, you should change the battery on your meter - having a knackered battery will effect the resistance readings (not much, but...).
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 30 Apr 2016, 10:13 pm

Got home, I don't use my heated grips and just my low beam,keep my revs about 6K (70mph) my battery charges up so I'm fairly happy for now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 7:49 pm