Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

CBF 500 as an adventure bike

Ray Baxter
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

CBF 500 as an adventure bike

Post by Ray Baxter on Mon 25 Apr 2016, 10:51 pm

I'm curious to find out more about this kind of set up - see Rally Raid - creating more of an adventure bike out of the CBF. Has anyone tried it? are there cheaper ways of doing a similar thing?

Cheers, Ray
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Re: CBF 500 as an adventure bike

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 26 Apr 2016, 9:04 am

At £700 I think there are cheaper ways of doing most things! Also, those are for the current model cb500x/f/r which are very different bikes. By the time you bought a new one of those and those shocks you would be way past the point that you could buy a decent adventure bike like a used Transalp etc. 

Have a look in the general section for a video series including a guy who has gone to Sahara and back on a stock CB500 so it can be done.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 26 Apr 2016, 9:06 am

As a side note, if I was to go adventure touring on a cb500 my first purchase would be a set of dual purpose tyres. I might no bother with too much after that
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 26 Apr 2016, 1:14 pm

If you needed a longer shock/more travel you could probably get TEC shocks or Hagon to make you a custom one for less... maybe. I doubt it is that critical...

To add to the dual purpose tyres you'll probably want a bash plate on the bottom of the frame/sump/engine area, plus, if possible, move the front mudguard up a bit...
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Tue 26 Apr 2016, 10:48 pm

Have a look at this
http://engineeredtoslide.com/2016/03/the-road-to-and-from-the-premiers/
to see what can be done with unlikely bikes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 7:31 am