Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Fitting rear shocks

liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Fitting rear shocks

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 25 Apr 2016, 9:15 am

I finally got time to swap out my rear shocks this weekend and I found out a couple of things. The first is that you don't have to remove the exhaust to remove the right hand side shock. I started to remove the exhaust to do it properly, only to find that 15 years of corrosion was not going to give way no matter how much persuasion I gave it. If you remove all the fitting holding the can and downpipes in place, there is more than enough room to get in with a spanner and remove the lower shock bolt.

Second thing I found is that my new tec shocks are around 10mm longer. It means that the back tyre is now on the ground with the bike on the centre stand. Has anyone else fitted tec shocks and found this? Apart from being slightly annoying that it makes cleaning the chain harder to clean as you can't spin the back wheel, it does change the handling characteristic of the bike. Not necessarily for the worse as my handling is now much improved but the old ones were way past their best.

Jameshambleton

Re: Fitting rear shocks

Post by Jameshambleton on Mon 25 Apr 2016, 10:19 am

I found this with mine too although I run a scottoiler so I don't really have the problem of lubricating the chain only my problem is rear wheel removal. If you put the bike on its centre stand and then put a bit of wood under it that's enough to get the back wheel off the floor. 

I have noticed that in the haynes there different rear shock lengths. 
R, T, V models have a standard of 234.5mm 
w,x,y,2 models have a standard of 243.7mm

I believe the Tec ones are 250mm from memory
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 25 Apr 2016, 10:25 am

Thanks James.

I can at least stop worrying that I got sent the wrong ones. Strange that they changed shocks mid way through the cb run although I guess there has to be some reason to give the bikes different designations. 

Good tip on the block of wood. I was considering that for the Mrs Transalp that needs a new front tyre. Now I guess we both need to use that technique.
Danelectro
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Danelectro on Mon 25 Apr 2016, 3:52 pm

Funnilyenough I just fitted some TEC shocks last week, they replaced my old Hagons, but no difference in size.
Ayep
Rossi
Rossi

Post by Ayep on Mon 25 Apr 2016, 7:52 pm

Danelectro wrote:Funnilyenough I just fitted some TEC shocks last week, they replaced my old Hagons, but no difference in size.

I found my old hagons to be slightly longer than the original showas, so hardly any change when i went on to some +10mm shockfactories

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 22 Sep 2017, 5:30 am