You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Did a little mod on my FUEL exhaust

Danelectro
Squiddy
Squiddy

Did a little mod on my FUEL exhaust

Post by Danelectro on Sat 23 Apr 2016, 5:59 pm

Hey Guys,

Well this might be of interest to some, but when I got my bike it had a FUEL exhaust system on it, the muffler was like a giant tree trunk stuck on the end of the exhaust, have been desperate to get an upgraded short stubby can, but alas funds are at an all time low right!!

BUT, I decided to do a little mod on it myself, so out came the tools, and off came 7 inches of an 18 inch exhaust can!!!!!

Looks much better, and sounds awesome......so I thought I'd share it with you guys!!!

Here's the before:

And here's the after!!

Got to say I'm pretty pleased with the result!!!!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Did a little mod on my FUEL exhaust

Post by sullivj on Sat 23 Apr 2016, 6:39 pm

I'm guessing you drilled and re-riveted one of the ends? What's inside?

Have you ridden the bike since? I guess they're the length they are for a reason, but I don't know what the reason is!

Looks nice and stubby.
Danelectro
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Danelectro on Sat 23 Apr 2016, 7:01 pm

yes that's right, drill out the rivets, cut the outer skin to the size required, pop the end cap off, inside is a load of firbglass sound proofing, and the inner pipe which is perforated.   Then it's just a case of cutting the same amount off the inner pipe, and putting the end cap back on ensuring a good sealed fit.

I took the bike for a nice 30 mile trip to see how it performed, and yeah it's great, obviously the mod does affect the back pressure, but not so as you'd notice.....apart from which you can go and buy a stubby can already stubby!!!!   There's loads of videos on youtube where people have done the same.

I tried it with the baffle in and with it out, no problem in terms of running, although it's certainly a lot louder without the baffle in.

All in all I'm very pleased with the mod :-)
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 23 Apr 2016, 8:38 pm

that looks a neat job well done
Danelectro
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Danelectro on Sat 23 Apr 2016, 9:17 pm

Cheers Skyrider :-)
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Sat 23 Apr 2016, 11:06 pm

Damm you bike looks clean has it been resprayed? 

The stock fuel exhaust on that does look like a massive tree trunk. Your "stubby" is only 50mm shorter than my Beowulf normal exhaust, bet she shoulds better though!
Danelectro
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Danelectro on Sun 24 Apr 2016, 6:37 am

Yeah I resprayed it late last year.

I know there's a lot of talk about whether it's right, whether it affects backpressure and running, but on my little trip out I didn't notice any difference.  and as you say your Beowulfis only a couple inches bigger!!!   I'll just see how it goes!

Thanks for the comment :-)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 16 Oct 2018, 11:12 am