Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Exhaust oem and aftermarket

TheWizardofOdds
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Exhaust oem and aftermarket

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Wed 20 Apr 2016, 9:36 pm

One of the main parts that makes my bike look tired is the exhaust. It needs refurbished or ideally completely replaced. Did the '99 500s have an all black exhaust system? It certainly looks like it from photo's...the downpipes too? I really like that look and as I say, will refurbish or replace. However, I have only seen black silencers. Mine is horrible, I mean a really amateur job with b-b-q paint slapped on by the looks of it. The downpipes are laughable. I've got my eye on a nice fuel silencer in black but need the link and downpipes too. 

Are full OEM systems still available?

Also are there any issues with fitting these aftermarket systems? I'm sure I remember reading something about centre stands being incompatible, or am I imagining it?
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Exhaust oem and aftermarket

Post by sullivj on Wed 20 Apr 2016, 9:47 pm

You can still buy OEM systems, but they're not cheap.

They were all black originally.

I refurbished mine - there's a link with photos on here somewhere.

Some of the aftermarket ones don't have the main stand stopper, or the clamp wire for the overflow pipes.
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 20 Apr 2016, 9:52 pm

Hoppo

Post by Hoppo on Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:34 pm

Delkevic have some nice exhausts and they have the centre stand rubber stop so they fit straight on
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 9:48 pm

Get a nice stainless steel exhaust. The whole kaboodle, downpipes to silencer. The old mild steel things rot, and aren't so pretty. An aftermarket exhaust sounds and looks great!

Yes you have to fiddle about with stuff to make a stopper for the centrestand. It's no big deal.
TheWizardofOdds
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 10:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. 

I will most likely go for a full system replacement but it might have to be cobbled together. I really like the fuel silencer, can't remember if it comes with a link or not but I'd certainly need down pipes too, there doesn't seem to be too many about. 

With two cars, 2.2 kids and a new house in the near future the refurb might be the way to go in the mean time, thanks for the pics/link and advice all.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 24 Apr 2016, 11:30 pm

Fuel cans come with a link pipe which allows you to retain the centre stand. The only thing it's missing is the 'loop' for keeping the drain hoses tidy but thats not too difficult to remedy & there's a 5% club discount too.

For downpipes, most go for Motad or Delkevic.
TheWizardofOdds
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Tue 03 May 2016, 8:40 pm

@ashcroc wrote:Fuel cans come with a link pipe which allows you to retain the centre stand. The only thing it's missing is the 'loop' for keeping the drain hoses tidy but thats not too difficult to remedy & there's a 5% club discount too.

For downpipes, most go for Motad or Delkevic.

I don't remember seeing the delkevic downpipes , I'll take a look, thanks, 

Is it just me or is this gpr cool. I like it. 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 6:26 am