Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Wiring a thermal fan switch

liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Wiring a thermal fan switch

Post by liverpool_f_ on Wed 20 Apr 2016, 4:26 pm

Hi Gents,

Since I have had my bike, it has had a manual switch for the fan which is fine but I now want to rewire the original thermal switch in the radiator in parallel so they both operate the fan. As far as I have figured out, the fan has the live 12v and it's ground is switched via its connection to the radiator. So,

- Should the radiator be grounded and if so where?
or
-  is the radiator grounded by mounting it in the frame, which is grounded? If so where?

I have figured out the bodged manual switch wiring but I am assuming that was done because the ground for the radiator has been broken/corroded wherever that is.

Any help is much appreciated as its getting hotter and I don't want a seized engine!
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: Wiring a thermal fan switch

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 20 Apr 2016, 7:58 pm

The ground for the radiator should be attached to the top rad fan bolt, the crimp rusts off. Very common failure point, you just need to put a new crimp on and re-attach.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Wed 20 Apr 2016, 10:32 pm

Just checked it and it is indeed snapped off. Does anyone know is it much of a pain it is to spin the fan 180 degrees. Whoever installed it did it upside-down so the wires barely reach. That will make it difficult to reattach the ground wire. 

The joys of owning a bike with 15 years of other peoples bodges
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:55 pm

@liverpool_f_ wrote:Just checked it and it is indeed snapped off. Does anyone know is it much of a pain it is to spin the fan 180 degrees. Whoever installed it did it upside-down so the wires barely reach. That will make it difficult to reattach the ground wire. 

The joys of owning a bike with 15 years of other peoples bodges

Shouldn't make any difference if you *rotate* the fan 180 degrees (so the air flow is still in the the same direction).

Could you not just extend the wires from the fan (admittedly you would need a soldering iron, solder and some heatshink)?

It sounds like a good idea to keep your fan switch, just in case....
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 21 Apr 2016, 6:58 pm

I could extend them but that is a pain. If loosening it and spinning it saved me the grief then thats a plan but if it is less straight forward and the bracket is all rusted and crumbly, then maybe thats the way to go
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 21 Apr 2016, 7:20 pm

You'll be lucky to get the rad bolts undone if it's been a while, give them a good soaking with penetrating oil first. It's very flimsy metal and when it rusts...
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Thu 21 Apr 2016, 8:17 pm

Out of interest, do the bolts on the outer edges of the radiator actually contain the fluid. I might stick a new ground in there if they don't

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 6:26 am

No, they're for holding the plastic trim on, on the naked model. You can take them out without losing fluid.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Fri 22 Apr 2016, 3:27 pm

Thats awesome! I can stick my new ground wire there without having to disassemble any of the load bearing rust I have accumulated.

Thanks for the input guys

Post by Guest on Mon 25 Apr 2016, 3:54 pm

Another technical term learned, 'load bearing rust'  Smile don't think shortcuts and fast repairs will eventually catch up? Of course time's of importance, but you know best.
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 26 Apr 2016, 8:30 am

Changing the position of the ground isn't a downgrade in terms of reliability/functionality. It doesn't look quite as good but my honda looks 'used' to say the least already. Plus if my new one does go bad, I can swap it out in a few minutes given its better accessibility

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:39 pm