Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

ANOTHER REAR DISK

Jameshambleton

ANOTHER REAR DISK

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 9:18 am

Getting really sick of this now, brand new out of a honda packet 4 months ago. This is starting to take the piss now, does anyone got any suggestions what what could be causing this. 

wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: ANOTHER REAR DISK

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 10:02 am

That very strange, u want to see my rear disc its very rusty but no cracks on it. Only option is to use an ebc one and not a honda one, i expect a chinese one to do that not one out of a honda packet. Send it back get refund
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 10:18 am

I'm starting to think it could be 3 things, 

The pads as before I had the original pads and the disc warped and wore the pads unevenly. So I changed it to EBC HH pads. The replacement disc cracked in 3 places and now this OEM Honda disc has cracked. 

There is corrosion of the hub where the disc mounts but this should just cause disc warping and not cracking?

I brake hard with the rear and don't realise it as I hardly ever use the rear brake.
phorx999
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by phorx999 on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 10:41 am

feeling a bit daft but all i can think of is the method your bolting it may put stress on the disc.
at about 8:30 mins into this
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 11:40 am

I've always tightened them up in a star pattern and used a torque wrench. This is what I don't understand.
davebike500
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by davebike500 on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 11:44 am

Unless you use a disk lock on the rear the only thing I think is a sticking brake or you resting your foot on the pedal causing to break to be just a little on
Either will over heat the disk and can cause cracks
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 12:03 pm

Caliper is free as far as I'm aware but I'll check that when I can, rear axle bolt is still been a pain and not moving. 
My toes are normally of the edge of my foot peg or with my feet pointing outwards so no where near the brake pedal or the gear leaver.

Edit: I don't use a disc lock on the rear.
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 5:57 pm

This exact thing happened to mine.

Just before it happened i started getting rubbing noises from the rear disk/caliper and the disk on inspection turned out to be slightly warped but the mechanic said it would be ok to use till i bought a new one and then a few days later it cracked like yours.

Bought a second hand disc from someone on this site and it was fine again for a long time but over the winter its started rubbing again.

Im now starting to think its sumit to do with the caliper producing uneven force to the disc. Ive not been using the bike for a while now but i will be giving the caliper a good service as soon as i can be arsed, tbh just by lookin at the sliders it needs it.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 7:42 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:I've always tightened them up in a star pattern and used a torque wrench. This is what I don't understand.

this is getting expensive james I cant fault your tightening procedure its spot on, get on to where you got the disc and complain bitterly
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 30 Mar 2016, 9:54 pm

Piston is free although the caliper can seem to rock slightly side to side and the disc is warped too
Celt500
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by Celt500 on Thu 31 Mar 2016, 2:01 pm

@Jameshambleton wrote:
There is corrosion of the hub where the disc mounts but this should just cause disc warping and not cracking?

Warping or cracking both happen as a result of heat and quickly cooling - cracking is the more extreme outcome.

Suggest you sand down the corrosion before you fit the next one. Maybe it's possible there was a dodgy batch of discs, but my money is on brake pads somehow dragging and the disc getting very hot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 16 Dec 2017, 4:58 pm