You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

New boy, Preston Lancs

stelladragon
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

New boy, Preston Lancs

Post by stelladragon on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 7:39 am

Greetings! This is my 73k mile 500s. I've had it since October and it's my daily driver.

stormbringer

Re: New boy, Preston Lancs

Post by stormbringer on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 3:05 pm

Welcome aboard Smile
And what a nice looking bike. You ride through the winter then?
stelladragon
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by stelladragon on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 3:23 pm

Thanks, yes I ride all year. Thought it was time to retire the CD200 from daily duty, and various rallies and camping trips, so I added this to the stable. Really pleased with it. I'm no riding genius but it's so easy to worry the sports bike lads that only come out on a Sunday. A tremendous all rounder.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 3:44 pm

Looks like it's in good condition.

Welcome to the forum.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 12:26 pm

Welcome mate, that looks very tidy!
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 12:53 pm

welcome aboard have fun and a nice looking bike Smile
stelladragon
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by stelladragon on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 6:12 pm

Thanks for the compliments, the pictures are quite kind to it, but it's quite presentable. Smile
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 6:30 pm

I bet that large top box is good for wheelies Laughing Laughing
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 7:04 pm

Welcome to forum, its good looking cb .
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 7:12 pm

@stelladragon wrote: I'm no riding genius but it's so easy to worry the sports bike lads that only come out on a Sunday. A tremendous all rounder.

Hehe. Several of the forum members have managed to seriously piss off posh litre lads on their exxxxpensive super-duper-gear. One explanation I've heard is that a competent CB rider will be able and willing to take his bike so much closer to the ragged edge, simply because of the lesser cost involved in case of binning it. Taking your bike to near its (or your!) limit will inevitably make you a better rider, and then the process repeats itself. Keep doing this for long enough and you will end up being a regular menace to posh leather boys wearing all the right gerar on their Panigales.

BTW: Did you know that the 'umble CB will take on M3's, Porsches and Lamborghini Diablos on regular racetracks? And come out triumphant...
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 7:28 pm

@stelladragon wrote:...but it's so easy to worry the sports bike lads that only come out on a Sunday. A tremendous all rounder.

One area where the CB seems to come up short is long haul motorway work. A mate of mine wants me to 'upgrade' to a FJ1200 and get rid of my silly little bike, so that we can go touring. You know - hundreds of miles each day for a proper trip round europe.

But wait - I've already done that... Six countries and a thousand miles in a day*. Twice. And hundreds of miles each day for a week inbetween.
Think I'll keep the CB and pass on the FJ1200-idea.

My best advice to you is to hold on to your CB. It's a monumental engineering feat; Feed it some TLC and you will have a friend for a looong time.

*) 1000 miles in 24 hours is enough to earn you a membership of the Iron Butt Association. To my knowledge, no 500cc bikes have yet applied for IBA membership. Unfortunately, I didn't know about this. Oh well. Another day, another holiday...

Last edited by stormbringer on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added IBA info)
stelladragon
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by stelladragon on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 7:49 pm

I've always favoured the small capacity machines, I've toured Scotland on a Honda 90 and I love my CD200. I have a TDM900 but I haven't used it for some time. To be honest the 500 really surprised me as to just how good it is when you push it. Certainly no slouch either. I showed my mate the way on a reasonably quick jaunt on Friday. He was aboard his 07 Fazer 1000. He was so surprised he asked to have a go on the 500!
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 7:59 pm

@stelladragon wrote:He was so surprised he asked to have a go on the 500!
Which in itself should give you credit for riding skills. Or courage.

Anyways; there you go...

On smaller capacity engines: Dunno if it's going to be a requirement for fun. Choose the right gear for the job and ressources available (don't bring a knife to a gun fight).

Still, the olde CB will hold its own. I haven't verified, but on paper the new and 'improved' CB500F/S/X/whatever will not be a match for our dinosaur.

But who cares? Imagine having a pet T-rex*. Take it for a walk to the park and bump in to your posh neighbor, walking his pedigree Chihuahua...

*) Scene taken from danish stand-up-comedian/multi-talent Anders Matthesen aka. 'The Duck'. And = Duck...

Last edited by stormbringer on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 8:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added reference)
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 8:55 pm

Greetings StellaDragon! Nice looking bike you got there.

I lived in Preston for a few years, till 2007. Have only been back once since, enjoyed a smokey lock in at the Moorbrook, probably one of the last as I hear it closed shortly after. Is the Bitter Suite still the place for real ales and tripping over huge hounds as you try to leave?
stelladragon
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by stelladragon on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 8:59 pm

Cheers Basil! It's called the Ale Emporium now, although I usually go next door to The Ferret for the live music. I've played there myself a few times. Fantastic Yank diner style food too. The Ferret was previously Strettles.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 9:14 pm

iye i was in town myself last night with a few mates we went into the dog and partridge (live band on) the black horse and then the Stanley ok too Smile
stelladragon
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by stelladragon on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 6:35 am

I was thinking of going myself Skyrider! The Stanley is a rum old place but I like it too. Maybe meet you for a brew at Glasson Dock sometime? Cheers, Russ.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 7:15 pm

we will indeed will catch up with you Russ Smile
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Wed 30 Mar 2016, 8:08 pm

The Black Horse! Now you're talking... Once in a blue moon we'd persuade them to sell us Old Tom in pints, and feel really quite ill the next day!
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Wed 30 Mar 2016, 8:17 pm

excellent at the time of consuming though Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 Aug 2018, 11:46 am