Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Universal Headlight

WaldoMcBaldo
Squiddy
Squiddy

Universal Headlight

Post by WaldoMcBaldo on Sat 26 Mar 2016, 4:38 pm

Does anyone know if one of these sorts of universal headlights would fit our CBs? I tried to take the front cover off the light today to get hold of the bolts inside to hook everything back up but the screws on the side wouldn't budge and utterly destroyed themselves. I decided to cut my losses and smash the old one off (all the wiring is intact) and buy something else.

In an ideal world I'd like a square light but it's whether I could coax all that lump of wiring back inside one.

Anyone else has experience with non-standard lights or one retrofitted from another model bike?
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Universal Headlight

Post by Beresford on Sat 26 Mar 2016, 6:52 pm

@WaldoMcBaldo wrote:In an ideal world I'd like a square light

Square lights are so last century. Razz
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 on Sat 26 Mar 2016, 8:46 pm

I'd search eBay / Gumtree for another original unit. If you go down the square light route, it's a notifiable modification for insurance purposes and tbh, will look crap and make it harder to sell.
WaldoMcBaldo
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by WaldoMcBaldo on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 3:58 pm

I've always liked the look of square headlights myself, however yes it would be notifiable to insurance so that's a point to consider. I had a look for used OEM ones but nothing decent is coming up really. Did any other Hondas use the same light that I could pilfer?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 8:13 pm

Most of the naked hondas use 7" headlights so they should fit if you can find one in decent nick.  The CB1300 has a clear lens with the beam pattern on the reflector which looks a touch more modern.

As for your original question, That headlight you linked to looks tremendously similar to the one on @Jerryfudd's bike.
WaldoMcBaldo
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by WaldoMcBaldo on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 8:16 pm

@ashcroc wrote:Most of the naked hondas use 7" headlights so they should fit if you can find one in decent nick.  The CB1300 has a clear lens with the beam pattern on the reflector which looks a touch more modern.

As for your original question, That headlight you linked to looks tremendously similar to the one on @Jerryfudd's bike.

That's handy to know, thanks. I've had a trawl through fleabay for various round Honda lights but nothing has come up really. @Jerryfudd can you confirm on the headlight? Did you fit the loom in okay?
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 30 Mar 2016, 2:10 pm

@WaldoMcBaldo wrote:
@ashcroc wrote:Most of the naked hondas use 7" headlights so they should fit if you can find one in decent nick.  The CB1300 has a clear lens with the beam pattern on the reflector which looks a touch more modern.

That's handy to know, thanks. I've had a trawl through fleabay for various round Honda lights but nothing has come up really. @Jerryfudd can you confirm on the headlight? Did you fit the loom in okay?

It was a really tight fit but then I believe it would be even with a standard unit and have read of people having problems getting it all back in. There is a diagram in the workshop manual that helps but ultimately its keep trying till it fits.

In the end to aid fitment I removed the clips from the OE unit and pop riveted them in to the aftermarket one.

This was the one I got

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MATT-BLACK-Crystal-Clear-Headlight-Honda-GS-CB500-CB600-CB900-Hornet-head-light-/351123091862
WaldoMcBaldo
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by WaldoMcBaldo on Fri 01 Apr 2016, 6:22 pm

@jerryfudd wrote:

@WaldoMcBaldo wrote:

It was a really tight fit but then I believe it would be even with a standard unit and have read of people having problems getting it all back in. There is a diagram in the workshop manual that helps but ultimately its keep trying till it fits.

In the end to aid fitment I removed the clips from the OE unit and pop riveted them in to the aftermarket one.

This was the one I got

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MATT-BLACK-Crystal-Clear-Headlight-Honda-GS-CB500-CB600-CB900-Hornet-head-light-/351123091862

Thanks Jerry, that's really useful. I'll go find myself something similar and get it ordered!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:33 pm