Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

very slight vagueness developed in steering

trevor machine
the 900
the 900

very slight vagueness developed in steering

Post by trevor machine on Sat 26 Mar 2016, 10:49 am

Recently noticed an almost imperceptible yet still definitely present vagueness in steering. Have - w/ help of v. experienced engineer / seniors bike mate pretty much eliminated tyre pressure / wear pattern (on michelin pilot activs), front and rear wheel bearings (no play), swing arm play, head race play, rear shocks are oem and in very good order. No discernible play anywhere. Happens most noticeably at slow speed. Almost like the road's had a sudden off-camber moment or something. Far from drastic, but as said - definitely there. Very out of character for this bike - I've got two and both always give decent feedback and have always had more than adequately accurate, responsive and obedient steering characteristics. So bit of a head scratcher.

One possibility: Fork oil's been in for 25k now - interval's apparently 5k (the topic came up a few weeks ago - 5k struck me as very short but hey). Could it possibly be that? As said, everything else seems as it should be. My only slight caveat w/ this possible diagnosis is that I've put a good 25k in on the same fork oil previously without encountering this issue. What say ye?
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Re: very slight vagueness developed in steering

Post by Stooby2 on Sat 26 Mar 2016, 6:25 pm

I'd put my money on a notchy steering head bearing. You won't feel any play doing the normal checks. What you need to do is put the bike on its centre stand and have someone put their weight on the rear to lift the front wheel off the ground. (Or a jack under the front of the engine will do if don't have anyone handy).

Stand in front of the bike facing it, take hold of each handlebar and as with as little force as possible, move the steering from lock to lock.

What you're feeling for is a notch / lump. When you find it, move the steering back and forth across it and you'll find where it is. It's often just off centre.

Then it's new head bearing time. Which is a pig of a job.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 26 Mar 2016, 7:07 pm

Done that. Totally notchless, absolutely nothing to be felt.
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 on Sat 26 Mar 2016, 8:29 pm

Strange then. Try changing the fork oil as that's fairly straightforward and see if it makes a difference.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 7:42 am

It's the only thing I can think of. One other possibility is rear wheel alignment is out. But if it is, it will be very slight.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 21 Aug 2017, 8:44 pm