Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

preparing down pipes for spraying

skyrider
the 900
the 900

preparing down pipes for spraying

Post by skyrider on Wed 23 Mar 2016, 8:24 pm

today I sanded down the down pipes with a sanding disk on a grindette ready for spraying, I have heard the best stuff to use is vht bbq spray if so what is the best make to use thanks Smile
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: preparing down pipes for spraying

Post by sullivj on Wed 23 Mar 2016, 10:31 pm

I used this a couple of years ago, and it's held up very well since.

Not the cheapest, but it worked for me:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOTEK-High-Temp-VHT-XHT-Black-500ml-Spray-Paint-High-Coverage-/251928330308?hash=item3aa8194044:g:N~8AAOSweW5VNjF6

I also used a bit of P38 filler to cover a scratch. That's held up well too.

jim157
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by jim157 on Wed 23 Mar 2016, 11:41 pm

The rustoleum bbq paint that homebase sells is not bad.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 24 Mar 2016, 10:31 am

If I had to do the CB I'd use the Autotek VHT like sullivj - I did do this on my other bike but didn't last aswell. Whether it be because I do more miles in all weather, its very very hot or that my prep was lacking so I'm dropping them off again this weekend to use 'VHT Flameproof' - aswell as their primer and clear coat so will see how well that goes.

(As a side note the CB exhaust is also coming off this weekend for wrapping - two bikes, no exhausts!)
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 24 Mar 2016, 11:20 am

Is there any decent brush-on HT paint to recommend? I just wanna bodge it, in situ. Bike's not a looker so I'm not bothered about finish, as such. Just thinking it might go on thicker the old fashioned way. Then again, a thin sprayed coat on a well-prep'd surface is probably better.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 24 Mar 2016, 6:49 pm

thanks guys the AUTOTEK looks some good gear I will look into getting some Smile
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 24 Mar 2016, 8:39 pm

@trevor machine wrote:Is there any decent brush-on HT paint to recommend? I just wanna bodge it, in situ. Bike's not a looker so I'm not bothered about finish, as such. Just thinking it might go on thicker the old fashioned way. Then again, a thin sprayed coat on a well-prep'd surface is probably better.
I got a part used pot of Halfords gloss black high temp enamel with one of my bikes. While I never used it myself, the finish wasn't too bad considering it's a brush on job.
sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 24 Mar 2016, 9:10 pm

@trevor machine wrote:Is there any decent brush-on HT paint to recommend? I just wanna bodge it, in situ. Bike's not a looker so I'm not bothered about finish, as such. Just thinking it might go on thicker the old fashioned way. Then again, a thin sprayed coat on a well-prep'd surface is probably better.

Worth taking them off if you can, just to prove that it is actually possible.

Post by Guest on Fri 25 Mar 2016, 2:03 pm

Hammerite Heatproof Matt Black worked fine so far for me.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Fri 25 Mar 2016, 3:08 pm

having a root around in the cave I have just come across a can of HYCOTE vht black manifold spray, it must have been my dads because I don't remember getting it anyway I might as well give it a try seeing as I now have a full can, and if it all goes west and starts peeling off I will clean it off and respray with some of the other Smile
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Fri 25 Mar 2016, 5:40 pm

@sullivj wrote:

Worth taking them off if you can, just to prove that it is actually possible.

But my motto is first do no harm. Smile
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 12:31 pm

Before they rotted off the bike(literally fell off the front of the engine) I used the halfords brush on VHT paint - I'm sure it bought my downpipe a few more years of service. It was the collar that holds the pipe to the head that failed eventually - of course this part hadn't been painted...
biglee
Rossi
Rossi

Post by biglee on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 2:47 pm

theres a guy on ebay selling half litre tins [brush on stuff] for 12 quid i purchased some 2 years ago and have been useing it seems to work well i belive its vht 650 degree do mine every 3 months or so
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 7:26 pm

that's one thing about my down pipes they are in extremely good condition and if they are the originals they are doing well Smile
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 31 Mar 2016, 7:48 pm

I managed to get them sprayed after work so I will let them dry till tomorrow and see if they need a touch up, later on I rang blackpool Honda and ordered a plug spanner and a sub air filter so will probably be picking them up around the weekend Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 8:18 pm