Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

fuel tank filter stuck!!!

Tricky.
the 900
the 900

fuel tank filter stuck!!!

Post by Tricky. on Wed 23 Mar 2016, 6:42 pm

fuel tank/tap filter, the one that is visible when fuel tap is unscrewed from the tank, is it removable without breaking it? ive tried to pull it out of the tank but it only half comes out before something stopping it, is this correct?!
ceejay
the 800
the 800

Re: fuel tank filter stuck!!!

Post by ceejay on Wed 23 Mar 2016, 6:52 pm

I got mine out recently by just tugging it with a pair of needle nose pliers. I must admit it felt like a 50/50 as to whether it would snap in half but fortunately it didn't on that occasion. It doesn't seem to be held in place with anything other than a tight fit to the surrounding metal if that helps... this it what it looked like once out:

Looked intact but you can see the bit that sits in the reserve fuel has deformed slightly over the years.

(I've since got it stuck back in there and snapped in half when trying to line my tank but that's another story for another post once I've finished  Very Happy)
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Wed 23 Mar 2016, 8:40 pm

nice one, thank you.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 5:06 pm

@Tricky. wrote:fuel tank/tap filter, the one that is visible when fuel tap is unscrewed from the tank, is it removable without breaking it? ive tried to pull it out of the tank but it only half comes out before something stopping it, is this correct?!

Same thing happened to me. I ended up tearing the filter apart, becaus it's impossible to see what causes it to get stuck. It's the collar half-way up... And no - it's not an easy job getting it out. Perhaps roll a thin sheet of foil round the lower part of the filter and slide it up into the tank as a sleeve of sorts may help? It's a matter of getting the collar to match up with the flange...
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 11:00 pm

@stormbringer wrote:
Perhaps roll a thin sheet of foil round the lower part of the filter and slide it up into the tank as a sleeve of sorts may help? 

now thats a good idea, a job for tomorrow, cheers.
hh_12345
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by hh_12345 on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 10:40 pm

@stormbringer wrote:

@Tricky. wrote:fuel tank/tap filter, the one that is visible when fuel tap is unscrewed from the tank, is it removable without breaking it? ive tried to pull it out of the tank but it only half comes out before something stopping it, is this correct?!

Same thing happened to me. I ended up tearing the filter apart, becaus it's impossible to see what causes it to get stuck. It's the collar half-way up... And no - it's not an easy job getting it out. Perhaps roll a thin sheet of foil round the lower part of the filter and slide it up into the tank as a sleeve of sorts may help? It's a matter of getting the collar to match up with the flange...

I installed my rust free tank today and had a hard time with the filter.

I punctured it several times while struggling to take it out and fit it back in, so I'll need a new one.

However I think I found a way to safely remove it an refit it. For removal you can insert a 5.5 mm ratchet socket or similar piece that fits inside and then use pliers to slowly pull it out. To fit it back in you can use a metal or plastic rod and gently tap it in since it has a closed end.

Unfortunately I always find the way to do things well after a first disastrous attempt that usually ends with broken parts and tools.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 2:04 pm