Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Top yoke nut - M22 or M24?

stormbringer

Top yoke nut - M22 or M24?

Post by stormbringer on Wed 23 Mar - 8:19

I'm in the process of mounting a satnav to my bike. This requires a new top yoke nut. Anyone who knows if the nut size is M22*1 or M24*1?
The 'net disagrees with itself on the matter...
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Re: Top yoke nut - M22 or M24?

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 23 Mar - 8:32

stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 23 Mar - 9:12

Great!

So much for BikeDevils' website offering:

Going over the parts for CB500 on ProBolts' website I notice they have now updated their choice of top yoke nut to M24*1.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 23 Mar - 9:20

I couldn't bring myself to trust an alloy yoke nut so went with the ti - and id like to think I'm reading the torque values correct when the workshop manual lists 105nm (?!)
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 23 Mar - 10:10

@jerryfudd wrote:I couldn't bring myself to trust an alloy yoke nut so went with the ti - and id like to think I'm reading the torque values correct when the workshop manual lists 105nm (?!)

Hmmm... Found no Ti nut on ProBolt's webpage.

Anyways; I should have trusted my usual dealer to help me with this. But with him being all fussy about using OE-parts-only I didn't think he had one for the CB that fit. He did. Chromed steel and at less than half the price of the ProBolt-order. And just to rub it in; ready for pick-up. I don't know how he does that, but almost every sparepart i've ever asked him for is on stock. Looking at his 10 yards wide and modest-looking business it seems almost unreal that he was awarded 'Best parts supplier' by Honda. But he was - I've seen the award myself.

Oh well. Live and learn.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 23 Mar - 11:57

I guess there can only be so many variations on a yoke nut so I'd imagine he has stock that fits allot of bikes.... when I bought mine there was only 3 or 4 thread sizes for a closed nut.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 23 Mar - 13:04

@stormbringer wrote:I'm in the process of mounting a satnav to my bike. This requires a new top yoke nut.

Do enlighten me, why does this required a new nut? (I'm probably missing something obvious...)
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 23 Mar - 13:06

@eternally_troubled wrote:
@stormbringer wrote:I'm in the process of mounting a satnav to my bike. This requires a new top yoke nut.

Do enlighten me, why does this required a new nut?  (I'm probably missing something obvious...)

I'd imagine buying a hollow nut instead of closed and fitting a stem mount that expands in the headstock tube...
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 23 Mar - 13:08

@jerryfudd wrote:
@eternally_troubled wrote:

Do enlighten me, why does this required a new nut?  (I'm probably missing something obvious...)

I'd imagine buying a hollow nut instead of closed and fitting a stem mount that expands in the headstock tube...

I seeeee, yes that does sound possible.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 23 Mar - 13:15

it only crossed my mind as the street comes with an open nut and had already looked into mounts for that.

I use a quadlock and my phone for the CB satnav but with an adhesive pad you could quadlock anything to it.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 23 Mar - 17:27

@jerryfudd wrote:I couldn't bring myself to trust an alloy yoke nut so went with the ti

An alloy nut should be fine if one is using taper bearings. Ball bearings are usually located using a spacer tube and need to be torqued up much tighter , so in that case steel would be a good idea. However the steering stem usually has offset ball races which  - just like taper rollers should not be over tightened.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 23 Mar - 19:06

@jerryfudd wrote:I'd imagine buying a hollow nut instead of closed and fitting a stem mount that expands in the headstock tube...

Exactly. I need access to the stem tube to fit a 'RAM mount' which seems to be the standard way of doing it right. The mount itself comes off of ebay. Satnav comes with a RAM mount for handlebar, but it'll end up looking absolutely crap, so I decided to explore the subject a bit. Thing is, my satnav comes with a big fat powered mount that is difficult to place on the miniscule instrument 'panel' of a naked CB500. Had this been a Pan or a big ugly beemer, I'd not have this issue. I'd have other things to worry about, like the insurance bill or where to park the monster...

This should fit - and offset the mount to get round the handlebar.

I intend to provide pictures and a 'grocery list' if this turns out OK.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 24 Mar - 11:37

Lost me so look forward to seeing the progress Smile

I'd just pop this on the bar between the handlebar risers

Then bond this to the back of the satnav

easy, removes in seconds and can port between multiple bikes or use one of these to mount in the car too

stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 27 Mar - 15:57

@jerryfudd wrote:Lost me so look forward to seeing the progress Smile
On your pics I see no power to the device...

Mine looks like this:

And the car-mount* looks like this:

Note that in both cases the mount provides power to the satnav, which simply clicks on and is ready to go!

Why this satnav? Because my local motorcycle union got me a 90£ discount.

*) Ain't this a nice car for 500£? - in danish prices...
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sun 27 Mar - 17:09

indeed, no power on mine..... how will your ones powered-ness fair on the bike in the rain?
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sun 27 Mar - 19:03

@jerryfudd wrote:how will your ones powered-ness fair on the bike in the rain?

According to the device specs, it's IPX7, meaning "protected against any wet-weather conditions". Contacts are yellow - I assume gold-plated. Feed-wire-connector is O-ring-sealed. I think they've given the powered-ness-in-the-rain some thought. Still, once the device gets properly mounted, I think I'll feed it from a place that's ignition-switched, so that the contacts won't be permanently powered.
Permanently powered wires are usually easy to spot - just go for the green corrosion Smile
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 30 Mar - 19:48

Today there was a nice M24 alloy nut in the mail.

From most people's POV this would just be a means to and end. A nut.

But with me being an engineer, a nut is not just a nut. This particular piece of mechanical engineering requires a comment.

The Pro-bolt people have done it. Impressed me with what'd best be described as 'excessive engineering'.
Never before have I held in my hands such a marvel of precision. Period. The OE component looks crap next to this thing... It's as if this silly nut has been crafted by metallurgic experts with an urge to excel - and time on their hands! We're talking proper swiss watch ambition here. To handle the awkward big size I've invested in a size-30 spanner, and found it impossible to do more than 1/8 turn after initial set-in. Talkabout proper fit. And did I lean on it...

Anyway; now, there's a hole where one is needed - for the satnav.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Wed 30 Mar - 20:15

we can all see that you are suitably impressed stormbringer Very Happy
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Wed 30 Mar - 22:50

lol I'd say so, feel like I'm under appriciating mine now especially after parting with over £30 for it Shocked
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 31 Mar - 18:15

yep it is certainly a price for one nut Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 22 Jul - 22:46