Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

headlamp movement

skyrider
the 900
the 900

headlamp movement

Post by skyrider on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 9:44 pm

there seems to be a fair bit of movement in the headlamp is this normal and is it shock mounted as I have seen some rubber bungs close to some locating holes near by as if they have come out
geoffnorfolk
Godly
Godly

Re: headlamp movement

Post by geoffnorfolk on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 10:14 pm

Something sounds wrong there.............. the "frame" that the headlamp is mounted to, is located into 4 rubber "bungs"....... these sit in 2 holes in the top and bottom fork yokes. It's possible one or more bungs is missing......... perhaps lost when someone had the yokes apart? Maybe the frame isn't even located correctly in the yokes? Has this suddenly happened or ever since you've had the bike? If you look at the "microfiche" of the headlamp, the bungs are listed as "1"
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 10:32 pm

I bought the bike just before Christmas and I have been doing bits of jobs on it since then so I have never had it on the road  I have re fitted the centre stand  fresh seat cowling and front mudguard, will have to look at the rear wheel fixing, I will be taking the forks off shortly for fresh oil and seals so I will be able to get at the headlamp frame more easily and while they are off I can take the down pipes off an give them a rub with a wire brush and then a coating with high temperature black manifold spray, so plenty to keep me busy
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 07 Mar 2016, 12:26 pm

You'll be able to see what's going on when you take the forks out.

As mentioned there are four rubber 'bungs' (really top-hat shaped bits of rubber) that the headlight frame mounts into - they do degrade and/or previous owners may have lost them.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 07 Mar 2016, 6:20 pm

You might find that the prongs on the headlight bracket have been bent at some time, this can happen if someone had the top yoke off and didn't line everything up on reassembly and gave it a whack to fit!
I would replace the rubber bushes as a matter of course when you take it all apart. Fit them to the yokes first. (Can you tell I've gone through this myself? Wink )

Last edited by teamster1975 on Mon 07 Mar 2016, 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added detail)
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 07 Mar 2016, 7:03 pm

all good info guys thanks
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sat 26 Mar 2016, 9:49 pm

had a look at the bungs today while the forks are off  and they were really perished so I replaced them with some rubber tubing so now all is well again Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 2:56 am