Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

Oil Service Kit

TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Oil Service Kit

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Thu 03 Mar 2016, 8:14 pm

My bikes been lying under a cover in the garage for months now and I'm desperate to go out on it but it needs a service. Can anyone recommend a good kit?  I know there's a job lot on eBay but looking closer at many of them there's provisos about what you'll get. Some of the oil brands are new to me too. So, I'd like one with good quality oil (4 litres?),oil filter, air filter,spark plugs and sump plug/washer. Also, is there much difference really between say, HiFlo and K&N? 

Any recommendations much appreciated. 

David.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Oil Service Kit

Post by sullivj on Thu 03 Mar 2016, 8:19 pm

Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 03 Mar 2016, 8:51 pm

high flow 303 oil filter and I've been using halfords car oil 10w40 semi synth for the last few thousand miles with no issues
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 03 Mar 2016, 11:32 pm

From time to time Halfords have an offer of their full synthetic in various weights for £12 per 4 litres. Pays to look out for these offers, my local Halfords says that it all goes very quickly when it comes in as it's such a good deal.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 04 Mar 2016, 9:25 am

Only real difference between hi-flo and k&n filters is k&n have a nut one the end for ease of removal & a safety wiring point.  I beleive they're both made in the same factory.
Iririum plugs are worth the extra price as they'll last longer between changes & the bike feels like it fires up easier especially when the battery's a touch flat.

Oil choice is an interesting subject. You'll find people advocating anything from the cheapest car oil you can find to fully synthetic motorbike oil. I'm running fully synth at the mo as I got some in a deal a while back. Next time I'll most likely go the car oil & 4k change route as quite honestly our engines aren't tuned anywhere near enough to require fully synth.
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Fri 04 Mar 2016, 9:55 am

@ashcroc wrote:Only real difference between hi-flo and k&n filters is k&n have a nut one the end for ease of removal & a safety wiring point.  I beleive they're both made in the same factory.
Iririum plugs are worth the extra price as they'll last longer between changes & the bike feels like it fires up easier especially when the battery's a touch flat.

Oil choice is an interesting subject. You'll find people advocating anything from the cheapest car oil you can find to fully synthetic motorbike oil. I'm running fully synth at the mo as I got some in a deal a while back. Next time I'll most likely go the car oil & 4k change route as quite honestly our engines aren't tuned anywhere near enough to require fully synth.

From what I've heard the K&N filters with the nut on leaks oil from where the nut is welded. So that's why I chose the hi-flo and the cost. x2 Hiflo filters for £10.98 including postage!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 04 Mar 2016, 1:15 pm

@ashcroc wrote:

What he said :) Part of the reason people argue is that the CB500 doesn't seem to be wildly picky about what oil you put in it - I also use 10W40 of the most cheapo kind with success, however I usually change my oil at less than the 8k interval specified.

Filters - I have used both Honda and hi-flo without a problem.

In my experience those 'service kits' that contain the filters and the oil are only a good idea if you want the stuff they are selling, otherwise it is often better to just get the stuff individually, especially if some other vehicle you might own also uses 10W40 car oil... ;)
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Fri 04 Mar 2016, 9:40 pm

Thanks for the replies all. 

Lots to consider. I might even put oil that was for my car in. I've got about 4 litres of castrol that I don't use as I've got even posher stuff I put in. 

Thanks for the links, I'll get some of the mobil (edit)and  just get it all individually. Iridium plugs, sump plug etc. 

I'm not sure if I should turn over the engine as I haven't cranked it for ages, it can damage the whatdyamacallit clutch thingy can't it?  

Are the Oxford optimiser battery maintainers best? 

My shopping list is service items, battery maintainer/charger and halfords pro torque wrench. Roll on pay day!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 04 Mar 2016, 10:59 pm

If your changing the plugs ,  you could take old plugs out put a teaspoon oil down bores and crank over engine a few times on front sproket with bike in neutral on centre stand. It do engine no harm and u could put new plugs in. Cbr 600 from 91 to 97 ,  have some iron parts in top end of engine i think it was  the rings and if engine was left up for years  be very bad if u didnt oil bores first , so be good idea if your worried . Some times clutch can stick if bike been left up for long time in . If u move bike forward and back clutch in and then out loosen it up if its stuck. Ive an optimate battery charger very good.ive also a halfords torque wrench there good.
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sat 05 Mar 2016, 7:34 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:If your changing the plugs ,  you could take old plugs out put a teaspoon oil down bores and crank over engine a few times on front sproket with bike in neutral on centre stand. It do engine no harm and u could put new plugs in. Cbr 600 from 91 to 97 ,  have some iron parts in top end of engine i think it was  the rings and if engine was left up for years  be very bad if u didnt oil bores first , so be good idea if your worried . Some times clutch can stick if bike been left up for long time in . If u move bike forward and back clutch in and then out loosen it up if its stuck. Ive an optimate battery charger very good.ive also a halfords torque wrench there good.

Thanks for the advice. I'll change the plugs and do as you say with clutch too. Is it the sprag clutch that can be damaged if I fired it up with low battery charge? 

Good regarding the charger. I know there's tons of them so I'll probably go with the 900 I think it is. One thing though, the battery has a lead attached iirc that the previous owner said you can plug straight into maintainer/charger. Do all the battery maintainers connect this way? Haven't the first clue about that lead but it seems quite handy as I can just plug it in instead of rigging up clips etc. 
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sat 05 Mar 2016, 7:49 pm

I think you thinking a ducati mate, it happens to them on battery thats not great not cb Neutral , my optimate had  extra leads i used permently from battery out of my side panel with weather proof plug so when bike was in garage i could easly plug in and not in use i pushed lead into side panel as my fireblade has a hole in side panel it fits through. Never be afraid to ask questions thats what forums for
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 9:07 pm

@TheWizardofOdds wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I'll change the plugs and do as you say with clutch too. Is it the sprag clutch that can be damaged if I fired it up with low battery charge? 

This is a problem on some bikes (not just Ducatis!) but not on the CB500 (well, no one has ever complained about it). The CB500 has a sprag clutch but it seems to be quite robust by comparison with other bikes.

Sprag-clutches aside, if your bike has been laid up for a while then it makes sense to charge the battery before trying to use it again.
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 10:58 pm

Just had a look at the Haynes manual to check the procedure and see that to torque the oil filter you need to remove the downpipes. FFS. The bolts that hold them on have been on since time began and don't look like they want to go anywhere soon. Do you just hand tighten it and hope for the best?
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 11:08 pm

Ive never used a torque wrench on my oil filter  bikes or cars or vans i tighten them by hand. Check out delboys garage on you tube, he does oil change on suzuki bandit,
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:31 am

One of my cb500s had stood for a good few weeks, maybe even a couple of months. I also know that its battery can be quite weak-willed. However, I was keen to start it - and couldn't find my charger. If you have a garage w/ electricity what you could try is to point a small convection heater at the carbs / cylinder head. Give it a minute or three. I've repeatedly found that a bike will start very promptly and with far, far less stress than from stone cold with this kind of artificial assistance. For instance, I have an old mid '80s CB125 twin, which was apparently a notoriously lethargic starter if left to slumber for a week or more (particular in the colder months). However, given the heater treatment, it will start with one prod of the button regardless how long it's been left.
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:57 pm

@wornsprokets wrote:Ive never used a torque wrench on my oil filter  bikes or cars or vans i tighten them by hand. Check out delboys garage on you tube, he does oil change on suzuki bandit,

Yeah, I do the same with our cars, just hand tighten. 

I'll check out the video, thanks.
TheWizardofOdds
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by TheWizardofOdds on Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:59 pm

@trevor machine wrote:One of my cb500s had stood for a good few weeks, maybe even a couple of months. I also know that its battery can be quite weak-willed. However, I was keen to start it - and couldn't find my charger. If you have a garage w/ electricity what you could try is to point a small convection heater at the carbs / cylinder head. Give it a minute or three. I've repeatedly found that a bike will start very promptly and with far, far less stress than from stone cold with this kind of artificial assistance. For instance, I have an old mid '80s CB125 twin, which was apparently a notoriously lethargic starter if left to slumber for a week or more (particular in the colder months). However, given the heater treatment, it will start with one prod of the button regardless how long it's been left.

Heheh, the things people come up with. I'd never think of that I can tell you. It'll need to be a hairdryer I don't have a heater. :-)
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 07 Mar 2016, 9:09 pm

yea a warm battery is always more responsive than a cold one

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 8:58 am