Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

painting seat cowling

skyrider
the 900
the 900

painting seat cowling

Post by skyrider on Wed 02 Mar 2016, 8:37 pm

a few weeks ago I managed to get a decent seat cowling off muttley , it was a green one (I knew that before I bought it off him) and seeing as my bike is red I went to Halfords for some red spray and came away with ford radiant red which is close to the Honda colour but not quite a cigar anyway I got busy with the emery cloth and rubbed it all down, I allready had some under coat so I sprayed it yesterday and today I gave it a top coat which has come out ok I think I will give it another before I give it some laquer
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Re: painting seat cowling

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 02 Mar 2016, 8:47 pm

Very hard to match red, as red fades with age , the wife car is red and that ford colour ive use on her car lucky its not visable under doors  where drain holes that rusted up are, simular but not exact. Try t cut  red on your tank and other panels bring colour back, but! I repeat dont use it on newly sprayed panels
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Wed 02 Mar 2016, 8:50 pm

yes I think all my new red paint would come away in the cloth Laughing
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Wed 02 Mar 2016, 8:54 pm

when I first went to Halfords the guy said if I had the colour code he could mix me the right colour but when he keyed it into the computer it wouldn't come up so I had to make do with the ford colour Neutral
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 02 Mar 2016, 9:59 pm

Sounds like halfrauds alrite,
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Wed 02 Mar 2016, 10:01 pm

such is life Smile
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Wed 02 Mar 2016, 10:09 pm

You be best going to a proper car motorfactors, they probbaly tell you where to go to get paint mixed up and u have correct paint then, nothing worse mismatched paint ive been there Neutral
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 03 Mar 2016, 12:27 pm

The conceptually easiest thing would be to spray the rest of the bike to match! It's not quite that easy in practice but it can save the bother of paint matching...
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Thu 03 Mar 2016, 5:01 pm

Yeah that's what the guy at dream machine superpaint did w/ my bike last year - it's a bit lighter than it was (it's that titanium dark silver sort of colour). Unless you've owned this colour 500 though you'd never know.
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 03 Mar 2016, 5:33 pm

Can you not get the exact paint from RS? Can't say I've ever used them but the website seems confident they can supply 'Fighting Red' which is what came up when I looked up say a '95 CB500...

http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/shop-paints.php?colourscheme=3860&717=on
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 03 Mar 2016, 7:13 pm

when he looked it up at Halfords all he could do was say what the colour was on the code I gave him which is Honda radiant red pearl which he couldn't do so I had to go for the more or less ford equivalent
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 04 Mar 2016, 1:03 pm

@skyrider wrote:when he looked it up at Halfords all he could do was say what the colour was on the code I gave him which is Honda radiant red pearl which he couldn't do so I had to go for the more or less ford equivalent

Halfords, on occasion, are full of shit :)

As someone else said, other than respraying all of it, your best bet is somewhere like RS bike paints who actually claim to be able to do the colour you want. They aren't desperately cheap, but you probably only need a small-ish amount.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Fri 04 Mar 2016, 8:32 pm

I have actually sprayed the cowling and front mudguard now so just need to wait a good week before I laquer  it, a couple of weeks ago I went to see a bike sprayer in the next town and asked how much £500 he said f+++++g h++l affraid  I thought I will do it myself so I did
Alvi
Running out of unique names

Post by Alvi on Sat 05 Mar 2016, 9:52 pm

Funnily enough, I got some radiant red from rs for my cb last summer. 1lt red & 500ml base coat - 90 quid with postage! I wish I'd know ford radiant red was close. And the base coat was just matt white - could've used any old white paint!
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 6:59 pm

what I originally wanted the guy to do was paint the tank and plastics satin black  and what he said he would have to do was spray everything matt black for an undercoat then the satin as a finish coat but I thought the price was a bit too rich for my wallet and just rattle canned what had to be done
Alvi

Post by Alvi on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 7:31 pm

I did the bodywork for my CB400NA recently, prepped & painted it myself & it looked just ok. Then I took it to a local car body repair shop & they finished it in 2k clear - petrol tank, 2 side panels & seat cowl. Cost 150 quid, but made a difference, it looked really good afterwards.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 7:36 pm

im hoping my rattle can laquer will be ok its supposed to be petrol proof time will tell
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 7:42 pm

whereabouts in the iom are you Alvi I went over for last years manx and had a few days in the van on fenella beach car park and then a few on douglas front, I was marshalling on the mountain and it was bitter cold and all the marshals there were saying how cold it was, still an enjoyable week though
Alvi

Post by Alvi on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 9:20 pm

I'm in Colby, just outside Port Erin. I still remember a neighbour, a builder, telling me about a job they did on the tram terminus up the mountain. As their bus trundled through Douglas, holidaymakers on the prom in shorts & t-shirts would look in surprise at a bus full of workers in hats, scarves & thick jackets. That's the mountain for you! Well, not just the mountain - at TT 2015 we had storms that cancelled all the boats & washed out several campsites! But this year will be great.....
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 9:31 pm

my first TT was in 87 and  i went every year till 2010 and I never had a scorcher (saw a lot of rain though) Laughing I had a lot of happy times over there going to the lido summerland  the first pub I went to in douglas was the dogs home and been marshalling since about 1991
Alvi

Post by Alvi on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 9:44 pm

Ah, the Dog's Home. That was a while ago.....Wink
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 9:50 pm

Robert was in peel for a few years now he has a small pub in douglas
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 24 Mar 2016, 7:22 pm

right the seat cowling has had a few coats of lacquer(finally spelt it right) and now to start on the mudguard and give that a few coats over the wet bank holiday weekend Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 16 Dec 2017, 4:57 pm